FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Aloha John's Exotic Village - new pics added on pg 2 - 7/2/09
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Aloha John's Exotic Village - new pics added on pg 2 - 7/2/09
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-13 3:14 pm   Permalink

Beyond awesome. I want one.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-14 09:05 am   Permalink

Sweet!

( Now I know why you were asking so many questions. Looks
like you pulled it off without me answering even one!!!
Arrrr-some!)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-16 11:43 am   Permalink

Aloha and thanks for all the nice compliments. I have been reading them daily but only now had the chance to reply (I have been busy getting my Fairlane unburied and off to a shop for some metal/chassis work).

Quickly about the cars, T-bird and Econolines are sold, F100 and Fairlane are both off at different shops, Buick (girlfriends) and Willys are just hanging out.

I think I actually worked harder than I should have considering I started all this just when things started to heat up for summer. Many 100 degree plus days were spent digging...glad those days are gone. It was tough on the water bill getting those tropicals established in the heat of summer too. There was a period when I thought I was loosing the bamboo (they were quite expensive), but now they are doing great. Once established the new shoots were growing so fast I started measuring them. During Sept the stalk I was measuring was averaging OVER 2 inches PER DAY...no joke! They are the "Green Stripe" variety. I do have extremely sandy soil here I had it pretty easy when it comes to digging. So sandy in fact that a post hole digger is almost useless, did someone say "DIG?"

As for the details I hope to add lots more. I'd like to add some carved (routered) trim pieces and some rope wrappings to the structures. I also like to try my hand at making some signs. My idea for "Aloha John's" came from "Aloha Jhoe's" and I'd like to make a sign using the same font style. If my sign making skills suck I'll be talking to Danny.

I had considered using thatching for the roof above the spa, but once the framework was up and I realized how tall it was going to be, I decided for the sake of my neighbors I'd better go with something more "professional" and shingled it.

The reed fencing on the back wall of the Kapu Cove was intended to just be temporary. I have something in mind, that my girlfriend thinks we can handle, but I am considering enlisting a pro (Ben do you give free estimates?)

BambooBen, speaking of you, was I asking lots of questions, interesting you noticed you never answered any!? Well you may think you didn't help with this project but I can assure you you did with the photos of your work giving me inspiration and ideas.

Polynesiac- yeah I just had to build something cool to hang your float from. The sun has taken it's toll on the frosting, now it's quite patina'd. The shed was an cheap and easy fix to hide something that is critical to a guy like me, storage! One of these days I need to grind off the rest of the screw tips poking inside of it. Anyone know the Hawaiian translation for "Iron Maiden"?

Grog- our party hosting skills are pretty rusty, since not too many of our friends liked hanging out in a junkyard, but once we get a few more under our belt I think I will toss out an open invitation to TCers.

Lake Surfer- you are very welcome for the support! I have had some nasty frost damage out here at times, but I'd say we SoCal'rs are pretty spoiled in the weather department.

jp- "airquarium" I like that. The big Moai was made my Tiki Ray!

I noticed I didn't include a decent shop of the front of the bar. Taken 12/17.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments! I suppose I should go work on my bar stools now...

View Profile of Aloha John Send a personal message to Aloha John  Email Aloha John Goto the website of Aloha John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-16 12:39 pm   Permalink

Really nice lighting! A great transformation!

Boy, I wish my brother would have had the creatic tiki genius to do something as fantastic to his back yard. All he's got is ceramic frogs and a koi pond that the local racoons eat out of.

http://youtu.be/7HTCkZXaA

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 9:22 pm   Permalink

Great work...! i have been pondering how to build an outdoor bar area and seems you have pulled it off just nicely.. some nice rides there too.. be sure to make the most of it... nothing more satisfying than sitting back for a few drinks once all the hard work is done...
Cheers

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 10:16 pm   Permalink

Very nice work. I did it once before and I am in the middle of doing it again.(slowly) I like your spa enclosure.

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 7:02 pm   Permalink

Aloha! I finished my barstools a while back and realized I never showed them off!

I also whipped up the little bench next to the fire pit. I think I'll be adding some 'boo/rope to the bench too. I am not thrilled with the look of the firepit, it's waaay too "normal", but for now it works....well now that's it's summer it's just a black widow pit.

One of these weekends I will take a drive out to the desert (Amboy-ish) and bring home some volvanic rocks and redo it.

View Profile of Aloha John Send a personal message to Aloha John  Email Aloha John Goto the website of Aloha John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 11:38 pm   Permalink

Nice little additions to your slice of paradise, John!

Love the bar stools!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:19 pm   Permalink

Wow I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted those last shots! Since then I have finished 95% of my sprinklers out back, and man what a difference regular watering makes, my plants (especially the bamboo) are doing great this spring!

I finally made a couple trips out to Pisgah Crater to gather some rock to redo the firepit and some planters. Eventually I want to install a propane ring in the firepit.

Next project - clamshell and lava rock waterfall on the back wall behind the spa !!

kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 12:16 am   Permalink

looking good aj! you are creating a beautiful oasis. i hope to see ya at oasis.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 05:35 am   Permalink

Classy job, enjoy some cold drinks for the rest of us.

The bench is very nice, just like the rest.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 05:43 am   Permalink

Looks great John!

Love all the lush green, and your Cannas look spectacular!

Mine are struggling this year with a cooler than normal summer, and the rabbits keep eating them.

The lava rock really sets it all off... that fire pit will look great!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 11:24 pm   Permalink

John, great to see you at Oasis!

We made some room on the trip back East, and sweated it out to score some lava for ourselves!

110 degrees!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-24 23:25 ]

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 5:26 pm   Permalink

John... thanks for the heads up! Made my own trip out there today...

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 9:26 pm   Permalink

Aloha to both Daves, yeah that looks like the spot! If you get pulled over by the BLM with a load like that, don't mention my name!! Lol

I decided that since my clamshell waterfall project is a ways off that I should rearrange and make room for most of my Lake Tiki carvings in one spot.

Quick update from the Village. After finishing my sprinklers earlier this summer things have really gone wild over here...

The 5' tiki in there was totally visible a few month ago-

And my Golden Goddess exploded with new stalks too, I had to trim it just to get the mower from "Hana Hut"

Once they started getting regularly scheduled watering my bamboo plants shot up stalks that were 5' taller than any previous growth. AMAZING!!

ALOHA!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation