Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » The Grammy Awards...worth the wait
The Grammy Awards...worth the wait
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 12:48 am   Permalink

As usual I tuned into the Grammys tonite to kind of monitor the show while i'm busy with other things, knowing more times than not there will be something worth watching. I was not disappointed when Elvis Costello & Bruce Springsteen broke into the Clash's "London Calling" as a tribute to the late Joe Strummer.

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-02-24 00:51 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 06:19 am   Permalink

Yeah, but where was Mick Jones? It would've been cool to see him up there.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 12:37 pm   Permalink

I agree. At first glance I thought Paul Simonon was playing bass, but alas, turned out to be the No Doubt bass player.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 10:18 pm   Permalink

Rudie can't fail! You know what's really amazing about Strummer? One of the last things he did was contribute a song for the closing credits of "Black Hawk Down" (beautiful version of old Irish song "The Minstrel Boy"). This from the same guy who wrote "Working for The Clampdown".

I do not find this ironic. I think human beings are amazing, and the world is amazing, and Strummer was amazing. I am dazzled by the mystery of it all.

peace,
emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 10:33 pm   Permalink

Speaking of "The Clampdown", Sugarlight played it at Hale Hawaii last Saturday. First time I'd heard it in a while, and at my local tiki bar no less! Good call on the DJ's part, I must say...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-25 12:40 am   Permalink

Oh, that is cool! Clash and Tiki - why the hell not? They would have been popular as hell with hot-rodders, juvie-hall graduates and other misfits if they'd existed in the 50s...

I'm an old Clash head. Where I was growing up we couldn't get t-shirts for them or anything like that, so we just made 'em with felt markers. Looked good with our surplus fatigue pants and boots. I was such a misfit I SPIT-SHINED my boots! Used to drive the other kids crazy...

emspace

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-26 4:49 pm   Permalink

It was nice that the Clash got their due. Somewhere, Joe Stummer is sneering.

Also gotta give props (is that what the kids say these days?!) to that Cold Play performance. I dig that band.

"I'm gonna buy a gun
and start a war.
If you can tell me
something worth fight for."

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation