[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki tiki store finds - spring 2008
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
tiki store finds - spring 2008
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-22 09:40 am   Permalink

Spring is here and stores are putting out all types of TIKI goodies. Most of it is crap. However, there are a few gems to discover. You need to move quick though because this stuff goes real fast...

Big Lots is selling a three foot tall Tiki idol reminiscent of one seen at The Tiki Tiki Room in Disneyland. It sells for $30. The one I purchased had some small dings in it. As such, I got the manager to knock an extra 10% off the price. These are similar in manufacture to the ones that Target was selling a couple of years ago:

In addition, Big Lots is selling these 10" tall ceramic planting pots for $8:

They also have some Tiki mug torches. I believe they are $8 a pop.

At Walgreens I found this neat little Tiki water fountain w/tea candle lamp at Walgreens of all places. Water pours out of the Tiki's mouth into the stones. These make great table center pieces and operate on two AA batteries. They sell for $5.99 a piece or two for $10:

And while at Walgreens don't forget these ceramic Tiki salt and pepper shakers. Two for $1:

Tikinaut

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2008-03-22 12:28 ]

View Profile of Tikinaut Send a personal message to Tikinaut  Goto the website of Tikinaut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dancin' Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-23 6:54 pm   Permalink

Rite Aid has three tiki pieces so far. They are resin birdhouses at $15 each. The tiki-ness of them is okay. The chances that a bird would use the house is pretty slim.

View Profile of Dancin' Lizard Send a personal message to Dancin' Lizard  Email Dancin' Lizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 03:22 am   Permalink

My Hobby Lobby had some resin tiki figures a few weeks back. About four feet tall. Don't pay full price... everything in that store goes on sale like once a month.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 12:01 pm   Permalink

Home Depot has these planters and a bunch of silly looking carved tikis.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 5:39 pm   Permalink

Love those Home Depot planter pots! They're kind of like giant Tiki mugs! I may have to check them out in person...

Though it's not really a retail Tiki store find, I DID just purchase this 20" coco palm carved warrior Tiki

from
http://www.bambooandtikis.com.

I kind of used him as the design inspiration for my web site so actually having the lil guy as an objet d'art in my personal Tiki collection will be nice.

Peace,
Peter

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-25 04:46 am   Permalink

>Home Depot has these planters and a bunch of silly looking carved tikis.

Tiki Kate, I'm assuming you're on the west coast? They did not have these at my Home Depot in the Midwest. I think the west coast stores get their stock in first.

BTW, I checked with Jo-Ann Fabrics and they will be getting in a bunch of Tiki idols and related items within the next two weeks.

We've had an absolutely brutal winter this year in the upper Midwest, so I'm looking forward to adding more Tikis to my backyard garden. Hopefully the snow will be gone by June!!!

-Tikinaut

View Profile of Tikinaut Send a personal message to Tikinaut  Goto the website of Tikinaut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kreepytiki lounge & tattoos
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-25 05:39 am   Permalink

i gotta go by home d this week how big are those planters?

View Profile of kreepytiki lounge & tattoos Send a personal message to kreepytiki lounge & tattoos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-25 08:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-25 04:46, Tikinaut wrote:

Tiki Kate, I'm assuming you're on the west coast? They did not have these at my Home Depot in the Midwest. I think the west coast stores get their stock in first.

BTW, I checked with Jo-Ann Fabrics and they will be getting in a bunch of Tiki idols and related items within the next two weeks.

Yep. I'm in California. The planters are about three feet tall and run $90.

Did they say anything about stocking tiki fabric at Jo-Ann?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-25 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-25 08:52, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-03-25 04:46, Tikinaut wrote:

Yep. I'm in California. The planters are about three feet tall and run $90.

Did they say anything about stocking tiki fabric at Jo-Ann?

I asked one of the employees who was stocking on the floor. She said that the Tiki items they were getting were similar to what they had last year. I'm not sure if that includes the fabric?

BTW, as someone commented here previously, those 3 foot tall planters resemble huge Tiki mugs. (A little pricey though). If I do buy one of these I may garnish it with some fake fruit on a pole. =-)

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2008-03-25 09:01 ]

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 2:57 pm   Permalink

I was out running errands today, and I stopped to check out the new summer tiki line at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Oh my gosh. They very blatantly stole designs right off of the Pariarts website for their tiki wall hooks...and I bought one anyway. (I pulled the hook off because it was a very cheesy lime green.)

Jo-Ann didn't have any tiki fabric, but Hancock did.

pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 7:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha all!

This is a very interesting post... and a big thank you to Tiki-Kate for sharing the information! I'd really be interested in seeing some of the other pariarts-like sign designs they are selling. If anyone else has any pictures of these from Jo-Ann Fabrics, please post them or email them to me at
paul@pariarts.com. Also, please let me know exactly what the label on the back says!

For reference, here are our original handmade tiki lounge signs that I first designed in 2001:

And here is the link to our tiki sign catalog for reference: http://www.pariarts.com/cat/signs/catalog2.html

Mahalo!
Paul

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 7:06 pm   Permalink

They used this design also.

BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 09:25 am   Permalink

Paul,

If you haven't, you should register a copyright in your designs ASAP. You can find information on the process
here. Registration is a prerequisite to suing for copyright infringement, so having registered your works puts a little more "oomph" in any letter you might send to Jo-Anne or other infringers. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-30 09:34 am   Permalink

Keep in mind too that Jo-Ann may not even know about the infringement. Like most retail stores they get their goods from suppliers. So you need to find out where those items are coming from. My guess would be China, which is notorious for ripping off intellectual property. IMHO, I think if you have an attorney write them a cease and desist letter demanding that those items be removed from their shelves (as they infringe on your copyright) that should suffice.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinaut 2008-03-30 09:48 ]

BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-30 09:34, Tikinaut wrote:
Keep in mind too that Jo-Ann may not even know about the infringement. Like most retail stores they get their goods from suppliers. So you need to find out where those items are coming from. My guess would be China, which is notorious for ripping off intellectual property. IMHO, I think if you have an attorney write them a cease and desist letter demanding that those items be removed from their shelves (as they infringe on your copyright) that should suffice.

Whether they know it or not, the sale of these signs amounts to copyright infringement. So, Jo-Ann's is just as liable as their mysterious supplier. A cease and desist letter is indeed a good first step, but I would also register the works with the Copyright Office.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation