FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Barefoot Trader Polynesian/Tiki Stores
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Barefoot Trader Polynesian/Tiki Stores
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 6:02 pm   Permalink

I have been collecting Tiki (mainly postcards) for several years now and am finally getting around to posting on Tiki Central. I recently acquired two postcards from the Barefoot Trader stores - one located in W. Yarmouth Cape Cod, Maine and one located in Pompano Beach, Florida. I also found some pictures from a brochure and an old photo from the W. Yarmouth store.

Here are postcards

Here are the brochure images

The Barefoot Trader stores specialized in unique gifts from around the world set in a Polynesian themed atmosphere. The buildings had great Tiki/Polynesian pop architecture. The store in Cape Cod also had a moai statute in front with a flame coming out of the top of the head - you can see the statue in the old photo. One of the trademarks of the stores were barefoot footprints set in the concrete leading you to the front door.

I read that the W. Yarmouth store had been torn down and is now a factory outlet center. I don't know about the building in Pompano Beach. Does anybody know if there were any more of these stores?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-03-26 7:15 pm   Permalink

I can't answer your questions Dusty Cajun but as far as first posts go, yours is one of the All Time Greats.

Thanks for sharing your cool stuff.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 7:38 pm   Permalink

Wow great, your kind is badly needed around here since Sabu and Puamana dropped out of posting visuals. Those are mighty fine images, thank you. A frames are my biggest thrill. One of these would have made it on my A-frame collage in Tiki Modern for sure had I seen these before.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 9:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bigbro and Bora Boris. I will try to start posting some of my more interesting Tiki items more often. Wish that the Barefoot Trader could have made it into Tiki Modern.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-26 19:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow great, your kind is badly needed around here since Sabu and Puamana dropped out of posting visuals. Those are mighty fine images, thank you. A frames are my biggest thrill.

My sentiments exactly. These are the kinds of posts that knock my socks off. Can't wait to see what else you've got DC. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 09:55 am   Permalink

I love the fact that they had a life-sized statue of their logo Beachcomber/Trader over the entrance!
Could you maybe use your scanner to frame and blow up some of the interiors? They look fairly sharp.
Here is a postcard from the Beachcomber shop in Dallas, the printing is out of registration, unfortunately, making it sort of fuzzy, not suitable for close ups:

There was a Beachcomber Shop in Palm Springs too until the early 90s, I doubt they were connected:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 1:22 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

The scan I had from the brochure was not very good, but I gave it a try for a couple of fuzzy close ups. So, now we are posting Tiki shopping. I will put a few postcards of other Tiki stores I have later on tonight.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 5:58 pm   Permalink

As a follow up to Bigbro's post, I have scanned a couple more postcards in the Tiki Shopping theme.

This one is from the Waikiki Shopping District on Kalakaua
Ave

These are from the original Signal House which was the precursor to Tiki Gardens.

These are from the Arcade Shops at Kauai Surf Hotel - note the Tikis by the beams

And finally the Waikiki Outrigger Club Arcade - check out the Tiki on the back wall.

Happy shopping!

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-03-27 6:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha! great post and great images, thanks for sharing them.

I love that barefoot traders on cape cod! I had no idea something that cool used to be near my old stomping grounds!

A little FYI to your first post: W Yarmouth (correct boston pronunciation: west-YAhmuth) is in Massachusetts not Maine.

Welcome to TC and keep posting those great cards!!!!!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 7:06 pm   Permalink

Polynesiac,

Maine - Mass, its all so confusing for us west coast boys. Sorry for the mix up and GO SOX.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 7:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-27 09:55, bigbrotiki wrote:

There was a Beachcomber Shop in Palm Springs too until the early 90s, I doubt they were connected:

Here is an exterior shot (1965)for the Palm prings location.

Staying with the retail theme, how about the Hale Hawaii in Birmingham, Michigan

Or off topic a little, the Bali Hai Hair Stylists in West Islip, NY

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 8:52 pm   Permalink

Alright Mike, way to go! How about this "South Pacific Boutique...and Take Out!":

At first I thought those door Tikis were Witco, but no, they are just Weirdo!:

I have no idea where this place was. I'd say Florida.
Now how about gift shops in Tiki Temples? Here is the early one at the Seattle Trader Vic's:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 9:22 pm   Permalink

Nice work people. I was hoping we could get a little Tiki shopping thing going on with this post. Thanks for keeping it moving Bigbro and ZuluMagoo (is that Mike from the Gallery?)

I have a few more, these are somewhat standard - except for maybe a new unheard of shot of the Witco fountain at the B-Hive store????

The first one is the Witco fountain at the B-Hive Gourmet Grocer and Gift Shop that we have all seen. There is a Tiki Hut store for "unusual gifts".

The second is a very early version of the Witco fountain that I have never seen. What is up with with the SNOW SHOVEL in the background? This place is located in Sanibel Island, Florida for Pete's sake (Big dogs??).

The next set are from Trader Hall's gift shop in Hawaii where one can "Purchase from a large selection of Hawaiian and South Pacific gifts and curios".

Shop on Tikis

(Where's Sabu?)

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-03-28 21:25 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-28 9:50 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

I'm pretty sure that The Eggroll was located in San Jose, CA. I remeber seeing that card before. Lets get some intel on that.

(Where's Sabu?)

[ This Message was edited by: dustycajun 2008-03-28 23:12 ]

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 07:39 am   Permalink

The 'Net House', I don't know the location.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation