Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Retro Tiki Lounges
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Retro Tiki Lounges
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-02 17:14, Dustycajun wrote:
Where did you get the black and white shot of the Outrigger Room exterior? Your archives are impressive indeed!

Tricked ya, DC. That zoom-in pic is from Alan Hess' recent book "Googie Redux", the re-issue and update of his 1985 "Googie", a book which was tremendously influential to me and many of my friends. In fact Googie Redux is dedicated to my three best friends Pete, Chris and John from the LA modcom, who picked up the torch Alan lit, just like many TCers did after finding the BOT.
Alan is just cranking out books on architecture and modernism these days, all his work is worth checking out.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-03 16:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 4:39 pm   Permalink

Two places came to my mind reading this thread... not exactly Tiki bars, in fact not tiki at all but, that said... if you are into naugahyde and vinyl , both of these are alive and well and open for your enjoyment.
First - The Gold Rush Steak House at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, Ca. Probably look up 'garrish' in the dictionary , you'll see a pic of this dining room.
It's not so pink, its actually more red, but it is sooo dark in the room , I had to lighten the contrast and gamma , just so you could see the room!

and the Standard Hotel '24/7 diner' in downtown LA. cool, mod, lots of 'pleather'

sorry, not tiki bars, but just thought some might enjoy seeing 2 rooms that are actually still open. Kinda cool.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 4:33 pm   Permalink

This post has languished in obscurity for a while, but I got a very cool postcard today from the Seven Seas in Hollywood with the perfect look for the vintage red Naugahyde Tiki bar theme.

Here is a close up of the bar area with a nice mural on the wall and a cool tiki hanging out in the background.

Here is the dining room.

This version of the Seven Seas is one of the more Polynesian pop looks when compared to the other postcards I have seen from this place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-29 20:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
Maybe the aliens who built the Moai on Rapa Nui saw what happened to that one and rescued the other with a tractor beam from their UFO!

I've been looking for a poster that shows aliens erecting the statues with the ships. There was also a similar one by the same artist with the pyramids being built a similar ways. These posters were in a UFO book (name I don't recall). If anyone knows what I'm talking about, do you have knowledge of how I can get that image?

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 10:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-31 19:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Does anyone have a Coffee Dan's matchbook (or menu!) that shows the "Outrigger Room" font and logo?:

Bigbro,

Here is the matchbook from the Outrigger Room at Coffee Dan'. The logo is different than the shot of the building you showed.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 10:01 am   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation