FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Tai Resort Motel (Polynesian Retreat), Osage Beach
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Mai Tai Resort Motel (Polynesian Retreat), Osage Beach
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 10:59 pm   Permalink

Has anybody ever heard of the Mai Tai Resort Motel Polynesian Retreat) located in Osage Beach on the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri? The limited info I could find on the place indicated that there was a Luau Restaurant, a Top Deck Restaurant on the third floor, and a bar/nightclub called the Luau Shack.

Check out the entrance that greeted you at night, is that cool or what. Bigbro, what year are those cars??

Here is an aerial photo of the compound.

And the description from the back of the card.

Polynesia in the Ozarks, who knew? This is right up there with the Tan-Tar-A resort from the Ozarks that was posted by Basement Kahuna.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 1:54 pm   Permalink

Here is an add posted by Woofmutt on Tiki Finds

From a Lake of the Ozarks travel guide. No year. (Early to mid 60s at the latest.)

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 3:01 pm   Permalink

Prize question: WHERE did they rip off the Tikis and outrigger from ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 5:38 pm   Permalink

Mai-Tai Resort pool area. Dusty do you have an address on your card?

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-05-29 17:40 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 6:45 pm   Permalink

A blow up of DC's card showing the pool area and building. I put an arrow to show the angle the photo was taken. And Sven I give up on were the ad highjacked the images.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-29 15:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Prize question: WHERE did they rip off the Tikis and outrigger from ?

Chin Tiki?

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 11:24 am   Permalink

I posted about this place years ago on Ye Olde Yahoo with no comments. And I missed this thread last year. I finally go to scan that ad yesterday and did a search before posting (Ozarks, I thought) and had no hits so just throwed it in the Tiki Finds.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 1:38 pm   Permalink

Trav,

Where DID you get that image of the pool and building? Very nice, I have been wondering what this place might have in store after I found the postcards.

Woofmutt, great ad, glad you posted it and got this thread back up again.

Bigbro, I have seen that ad before, but I don't know where. It's not Chin Tiki. Damn it! Another stump TC question.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 6:33 pm   Permalink

OK -I won't torture you any longer about the origin of those Tiki/outrigger graphics:

I know I have the original somewhere, but damn, I can't find it, so here is one of those infamous PTD out-of-focus shots (which I swiped from the Hawaii brochure thread), of the letterhead from the Reef Hotel chain in Hawaii, I tried to re-focus it in I-Photo:

(But thank you PTD, for without your image I could not have proven the rip off )

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:17 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

I can't believe you are using one of PTD's camera shots! Here is a blow-up of the logo from a matchbook I have. I knew I had seen that somewhere.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Allow me to perform a clear identity comparison (after tweaking contrast and focus on the Reef art):

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 09:49 am   Permalink

Here is another postcard from the Mai Tai Resort posted by Tikisgrl recently on Tiki Finds.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 11:58 pm   Permalink

Came across this cup on ebay and figured it had to be from this place with the font and Tiki rendering.

Now we need to see a menu, etc.

DC

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:19 am   Permalink

Cool find - a Tiki resort in the Ozarks? No way!

I doubt what my eyes have seen.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 9:57 pm   Permalink

I just got this postcard with the pool view of the Mai Tai resort. Great looking scene.

Must be another blue law area with respect to serving drinks, the back of the card advertises "set-ups" for drinking around the pool. I still don't get this?

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation