FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Tai Resort Motel (Polynesian Retreat), Osage Beach
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mai Tai Resort Motel (Polynesian Retreat), Osage Beach
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 09:08 am   Permalink

That's funny. The entire normal architecture has been "wallpapered" with thatch. Everything is furry!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 4:44 pm   Permalink

Here is another postcard from the Mai Tai that was on ebay. They had Tiki torches and funny Tikis.

Funny Tikis with breasts!

Reminds me of the female Trader Vic's Tiki posted by Tattoo recently.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 5:07 pm   Permalink

What a cool photo! And you did not get it ? Did .... ? I can see the caption for it:

"A typical evening scene in the Ozarks"

Torches, Tiki and concrete screen block --tres Tiki Modern! And kinda sparse, compared to the previous pool postcard that looked like a woolly mammoth (what made me think of that?) had shed all over the place! Maybe they got all those torches for the pool, and when they saw all that thatch decided to keep them far away down by the beach!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 08:20 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

Lost that postcard to one of the ebay Big Game Hunters. I had never seen that Tiki style before and then you posted this brochure on the Aloha Kai thread. Looks like the same type.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rick in KC

Posted: 2011-03-08 08:11 am   Permalink

Found this brochure for the Mai Tai resort at an estate sale in KC last wee.
It was among lotsa travel items of mid-60s vintage.

View Profile of Rick in KC Send a personal message to Rick in KC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-08 3:22 pm   Permalink

Rick, welcome to TC. If you get a chance, go over to the introductions thread and tell us about your tiki interests. I have been searching for information on this long gone resort for a while and have not been too successful. Thanks for sharing your great find.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-08 5:44 pm   Permalink

Rick,

Thanks for posting the brochure, nice to see some more info on the Mai Tai. Did you find Tiki Central while you were researching the Mai Tai?

As I went back through this thread, I noticed that the bar ended up being called several different names:

Luau Shack (my research)
Sky Line Tiki Lounge (ad)
Mainlander (postcard)
Eye of the Hurricane Bar (Brochure)

Can you read the sign above the entrance to the hut on the front of the brochure?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 08:21 am   Permalink

Saw another ad from the Mai Tai.

This one advertised dancing at the romantic Luau Club.

DC

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 10:56 am   Permalink

i bet the mai tai became the tan-tara resort: http://www.tan-tar-a.com/

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6441&forum=1&vpost=67077

neato coolville has a whole mess of photos on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neatocoolville/3575394169/

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 12:35 pm   Permalink

I scored another great postcard from the Mai Tai. This one shows the main entrance and port-cochere with lots of Tikis, torches, thatch, an outrigger canoe and other Polynesian elements.

Close up of the Tikis on the left.

Looks like they may have all come from the catalog Bigbro posted. Where is the catalog from?

The entrance with Witcos and more Tikis out front.

Tiki in the Ozarks!

DC

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 05:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-11 09:49, Dustycajun wrote:
Here is another postcard from the Mai Tai Resort posted by Tikisgrl recently on Tiki Finds.

DC

here is a slightly different scan of that same card -

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-24 10:56, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i bet the mai tai became the tan-tara resort: http://www.tan-tar-a.com/

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6441&forum=1&vpost=67077

neato coolville has a whole mess of photos on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neatocoolville/3575394169/

I know why JD thought that but I was pretty sure that it could not be true. I remember very clearly that my Grandparents went to Tan-Tar-a in the early 1970's. Even as a kid I knew Tan-Tar-a had been around awhile. I just felt that the two resorts existed at the same time. Since none of the postcards in this thread are dated or were mailed, we have no certain dates of operation for the Mai-Tai. The brochure Rick posted is cool but again no date is given.
So what became of the Mai-Tai??? I have always wondered how to figure this out. I wrote to the Osage Beach Chamber of Commerce and got a nice reply from someone who gave me the address of the former owner and I then wrote him a letter and mailed it to see if he was receptive to filling in some blanks about what is known about his former resort. NO reply.
A couple of years later I found a box of old travel brochures at an estate sale. Mostly from the late 1960's and early 1970's. Among the contents were several publications from the Lake of the Ozarks region including Osage Beach, the town closest to the locations of Tan-Tar-a and the Mai-Tai.
When I got home I pored through the brochures and ads figuring that I would surely find ads for the Mai-Tai. But NOOOOOOOOO. Not a single one. Plenty of Tan-Tar-a though. I started to lean towards JD's theory a little but something just didn't fit. The urban archaeologist in me was not satisfied.
Frustrated at not finding what I hoped for, I put the brochures away until yesterday when I decided to give them a fresh look using a different strategy. The address. It's basic. Lake road 54-30. That's it. Then I remembered a map in the pile of brochures. Since Tan-Tar-a is still in operation, I checked it's location on the map and it turns out to be on the opposite side of the lake channel and downstream a ways from the site of Road 54-30 where Mai-Tai should be.
Lake road #30 is off of Highway 54. It's only about a mile long so I checked every business on the road until by a process of elimination I had one that seemed to fit. A place called Osage House. So back to the ads and finally....BINGO. Although the camera angle is from the lake looking ashore, you can tell that this is definitely the same place that used to be the Mai-Tai. So here's what I found:

1972 Ad

1975 Ad

1982 Ad

And finally here is a recent satellite image of the same property with plenty of pavement and not one clue remaining that would prove that the Mai-Tai ever existed here. This is progress aka big money at work in the Ozarks.

So that's it folks. Guess I will just make my own Mai-tai...where's my Rum?

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation