[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki as Religion
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki as Religion
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 03:24 am   Permalink

Beyond the history, is Tiki practiced by anyone as a religion today?

I can see with personal connections that some experience with a one-ness of the universe that Tiki might provide a stepping off place, so to speak.

Tiki as gods... well I wouldn't think, but maybe be some see them that way still?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 05:11 am   Permalink

Without getting into a religious discussion, as it is not allowed on TC, if religion is a way to live your life by, Aloha can be seen that way too, if we embrace the spirit of Aloha as a lot here do, then.....

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 06:28 am   Permalink

Well... I don't mean to discuss religious beliefs per se, but in the world of Tiki, I'm wondering how religion fits in currently. Tiki is history. Tiki is art. Tiki is collecting, drinks, bars, decor, music, etc. Is Tiki also religion?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 06:51 am   Permalink

If you are looking for a religious connection the closest thing I can think of is Huna.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 10:28 am   Permalink

I think about tikis alot more than I think about God,
Tiki's I can see, God is just made up.

stirring the pot,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 10:49 am   Permalink

city of refuge

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 11:40 am   Permalink

DAMN that has the potential for a FORUM OF FIRE!! you go you AGNOSTIC you!!

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 12:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 10:28, bigtikidude wrote:

stirring the pot,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

AHHH but grasshopper, can you not feel the wind upon your naked bosom?

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 12:53 pm   Permalink

On a historic level, Tiki was just one of many gods of the Polynesian pantheon. So your question really means if the traditional Polynesian religions are still practiced. I believe yes, in some form, by individuals and small groups, in the islands and on the mainland. But I doubt that there is any particular emphasis on only the god Tiki per se.

For me personally, Tiki has two religious connotations that I like:

A.) Tiki is the god of the artists. That alone is wonderful. Art is my religion. It inspires me, it makes me seek it, I want to serve it. And I believe that all the artists here are "practicing" Tiki's religion, too, by being creative. Tiki's ever changing image is proof of the creative possibilities of man.

B.) The fact that Tiki was a Demi-god, half man, half divine. To me, he was sort of like the Silver Surfer, more than man, less than god, just a really cool, wise guy. Just like Jesus or Buddha. Maybe with more quirks. Exemplifying the possibility of the divine in every human being.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 1:26 pm   Permalink

...like the Silver Surfer....that is an AWESOME thought..Jack Kirby is chuckling WHEREVER our energies go off to...

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chrisc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-02 2:50 pm   Permalink

Surely if football qualifies as an "implicit religion", as some serious theologians are suggesting, so does the modern Tiki subculture, cocktails and all?

View Profile of Chrisc Send a personal message to Chrisc  Goto the website of Chrisc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 03:41 am   Permalink

Humu Humu posted this one a while back. You need to read it if you are thinking of adopting tiki as your religion.

Jack Chick style tract warning of the dangers of Tiki

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 6:25 pm   Permalink

A brief history of Tiki Gods:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10296&forum=1

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 6:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 06:51, Sophista-tiki wrote:
If you are looking for a religious connection the closest thing I can think of is Huna.

Good Post.
Never heard of Huna before:

ANCIENT WISDOM, MODERN APPLICATION

Huna is the healing and spiritual shamanism of ancient Hawai'i. In these pages you will find teachings that were once secret and carefully guarded.

Today they are taught openly. Huna is neither Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) nor is it Hypnosis.

If you're interested in spiritual growth and personal empowerment, or expansion of your awareness and your connection to universal spirit, then you'll find that getting in touch with the consciousness on these pages will awaken something inside you.

www.huna.com

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 10:28, bigtikidude wrote:

stirring the pot,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Gee. Way to dismiss the beliefs of over a billion people world-wide.

Maybe you can see why this topic is forbidden on TC, but it's always
difficult to keep someone from saying something fucking stupid congrats!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-riviera 2008-04-06 09:22 ]

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation