[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki bar in garage
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki bar in garage
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-25 10:18 pm   Permalink

Nice job and great progress pics. Thanks for showing the ceiling.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 07:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-25 21:22, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-25 20:48, arriano wrote:

We've named it the Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge. A special virtual mai tai to the first one to translate the name....

Hale Ka'a = Garage

We have a winner!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 09:09 am   Permalink

..i still like my suggestion..."carports o' call lounge"

but i'm weird like that....

...pics look good...may i suggest an epoxy cement paint for the floor like the kind they sell at home depot??? i used it in my old tiki bar in the basement a few years back...they have these chips you sprinkle into the paint to look like speckles or sand....i used the tan paint but they come in different colors...you may want to look into it if you haven't decided on a floor treatment yet...it's very durable and would finish off the whole room nicely....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-26 09:13 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-26 09:53 am   Permalink

I agree with Tipsy on the floor. That finish does look nice in a garage and a tan color with the flecks would really help finish off your room. I will probably use this type of a flooring cover when I do my garage.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-26 09:09, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
may i suggest an epoxy cement paint for the floor like the kind they sell at home depot???

Thanks Tipsy. Yeah, we have considered that, and may still. There are lots of tweaks and additions to be made as time goes by. Although the floor shows up well in these photos with the flash, you really don't see it very well normally as it's a pretty low light place. But once I get a free few days I'll look at the floor paint again.

We've been having fun using the bar as a studio for our podcast (see link below). Comes in handy when making drinks to discuss on the show.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2008-08-26 19:29 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 4:48 pm   Permalink

Maybe paint a big island or tiki on the floor then clear coat over it. Take your time with the decisions it'll pay off later.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
locnar2001

Posted: 2008-09-25 1:44 pm   Permalink

Wow what a awesome bar you built!!
I'm just getting ready to start my basement tiki room (Tiki Underground) and spotted your framing of the bar. Did you use all 2x4? I'm a horrible carpenter, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

View Profile of locnar2001 Send a personal message to locnar2001  Email locnar2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-25 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-25 13:44, locnar2001 wrote:
Wow what a awesome bar you built!!
I'm just getting ready to start my basement tiki room (Tiki Underground) and spotted your framing of the bar. Did you use all 2x4? I'm a horrible carpenter, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

So,locnar2001,you are in brunswick?,i am just up the road in berea,with a garage full of stuff,what do you need?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
locnar2001

Posted: 2008-09-26 08:42 am   Permalink

TIKI DAVID?? As in the legionary TIKI DAVID!?!?

If your who I'm thinking of you do carving also? sorry but I've heard of a guy in Berea that is a Tiki legend in NE Ohio..
I got a basement of stuff so far.. I had another bar In North Ridgeville but ended up moving to Brunswick and having to start over. I'm just looking for a actual Bar frame to start with..
I saw this on the site and it looks like something I could handle.. And I have a ton of 2x4 to start..
Would it be ok to email you? Would love to swap stories!

View Profile of locnar2001 Send a personal message to locnar2001  Email locnar2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-26 09:26 am   Permalink

call ,the number in your PM's

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-26 4:42 pm   Permalink

Locnar -- Thanks for the kind words. Sent you a PM also.

We followed a set of plans I bought online from
www.barplan.com. We used the L-shaped bar plan and adapted it and made it shorter to fit our space. Many, many trips to Home Depot followed. We'd have some boards cut at Home Depot, and some I cut with a newly purchased circular saw. There were several gaffs. We just kept at it, a few hours each and every Sat. and Sun. for about three months. Building the bar was by far the most difficult part. Decorating, putting up thatch, installing lights, etc. was a piece of cake in comparison. Take your time, be patient, and when in doubt, have a mai tai.

KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-05 10:18 pm   Permalink

Just found this thread and had to throw my compliments in as well. Very nicely done!

I'm just getting started on my own garage tiki bar and am scouring this site looking for ideas... thanks for the pics.

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-16 06:27 am   Permalink

great job guys...

got my bar done just have to get the rest of my decor together..

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 9:56 pm   Permalink

Howdy. It's been quite awhile since I posted anything about our home bar. So here are some photos of projects from the past year. All done on the cheap.

I created this sign that's just outside the front door of the bar. Since the bar's name is Hale Ka'a (garage) I thought it appropriate to include a vehicle. I wanted to include Japanese glass floats, but realized that a good breeze would knock the glass against the stucco and probably shatter. So I went to Toys R Us and picked up two transparent rubber balls and used some netting from Party City to create the illusion.

A friend of mine recently gave me this mechanical cockatoo. It runs on batteries and says all sorts of corny jokes, etc. Reminds me a bit of Disneyland's Tiki Room. Anyway, I soon discovered that bamboo and rattan cages are damn expensive. So I used a couple of pieces of leftover lumber for the top and bottom and picked up some wood trim from Home Depot to make the bars. Add stain and some fake flora and voila:

Finally, I wanted to create a lamp for the bar that was a bit different. I went to Michael's and bought a crate. I stenciled the bar name and some Chinese writing and stained it. I put a light bulb inside and used some blue cloth so that the light glows through the slats:

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2011-02-08 21:58 ]

gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-10 10:04 pm   Permalink

Great ideas man. I'm diggin the bird cage. I remember they used to have some talking bird toys for sale at the gas stations.

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation