[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bar Book
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Home Tiki Bar Book
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-15 8:38 pm   Permalink

JP takes photos for Tiki Mag... He goes to a lot of events, East Coast, West Coast Up town, Down town... he takes lots of photos of peoples home bars when he travels.... Its probably safe to guess that JP might have something to do with this! Just a guess though!

I heard it through the grapevine that this was happening from a local awesome home bar, but I still am unsure of the mystery author.... dun dun dunnnn, until now! I think....

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 9:58 pm   Permalink

I was hoping to tackle this idea through the company that has published two of my other books on US Militaria. I've talked to my publisher about a Tiki swag book, and he thought it would be a good idea. Schiffer Pub. LTD. has done tons of books on backyard patios and items as well as catalina tiles. If anyone else is doing this theres always room for more lol. contact me if youd be interested in using your bar, tiki masks, mugs and such, I think it would be a great coffee table book,

you can check out my other two titles if you google my name......"paul w. miraldi"

thanks
paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-27 1:00 pm   Permalink

I know of the fact that JonPaul Balak, house photographer for TIKI MAGAZINE, has been working on a Tiki Home Bar book for quite some time now. His decade-long connection to the Tiki Revival scene and his trips to American and European Tiki hot spots, coupled with his profession as a photographer make him the ideal author for such a tome. He is friends with many of the owners of the great backyard and basement Polynesias around the country. Plus JP's knowledge of classic Tiki history would ensure that the home hideaways would be presented in the proper context of the design sources that inspired them, down to the very detail.

I am very hesitant to believe that Schiffer would do a good job with such a book. They are a "Collectibles" publisher, and many of their books are poorly edited and badly art directed. Two examples for that are their "Hawaiiana" and "Hula Girls and Tiki Gods" books. I feel that ultimately those type of books do not fulfill the promise of Tiki culture, relegating it to collectible nerd territory. A simple showing off of how many toys you have does not inspire creativity. But a book on Home Tiki Bars should do exactly that.

Sven Kirsten, author of the "Book of Tiki" and "Tiki Modern"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-27 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-27 13:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
I know of the fact that JonPaul Balak, house photographer for TIKI MAGAZINE, has been working on a Tiki Home Bar book for quite some time now. His decade-long connection to the Tiki Revival scene and his trips to American and European Tiki hot spots, coupled with his profession as a photographer make him the ideal author for such a tome. He is friends with many of the owners of the great backyard and basement Polynesias around the country. Plus JP's knowledge of classic Tiki history would ensure that the home hideaways would be presented in the proper context of the design sources that inspired them, down to the very detail.

I am very hesitant to believe that Schiffer would do a good job with such a book. They are a "Collectibles" publisher, and many of their books are poorly edited and badly art directed. Two examples for that are their "Hawaiiana" and "Hula Girls and Tiki Gods" books. I feel that ultimately those type of books do not fulfill the promise of Tiki culture, relegating it to collectible nerd territory. A simple showing off of how many toys you have does not inspire creativity. But a book on Home Tiki Bars should do exactly that.

Sven Kirsten, author of the "Book of Tiki" and "Tiki Modern"

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I know I'm biased (after all, he is in the band with me) but JP has the photographic eye, skills and catalogue of amazing photos of home bars to make an amazing book...I personally have been bugging him about it since he's been in the band (3 plus years now) . If you need any evidence as to his photo skills...just look at the classic Beachbum Berry "Zombie" photo....Slam Dunk.
As far as publishers, I don't know enough about that to comment, so I will defer to BigBro, who does.

So JP, get off your tukus and do this thing !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-27 2:42 pm   Permalink

This is JP we're talking about. By the time the book comes out, most of those home bars will be gone.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-27 3:01 pm   Permalink

ALot of them are already.....even more reason to put out a book like this.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-27 3:57 pm   Permalink

I am looking forward to whatever JP publishes, think it will be great. Even if a place is in the book but no longer exists, history is better than not. There are so many passionate collectors and wonderful home/patio bars that this book will indeed be an eyeful to all. Shout out to JP...thanks for taking on this project.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 5:22 pm   Permalink

I agree with Sven's comments completely, both in regard to the quality of JP's work and his suitability for a project like this, and also in regards to the nature and quality of Schiffer's books.

Also, I did post in this thread (three years ago!) that tackling this book wasn't something that I'd be up for. But if someone eventually does take this project on, I would definitely be happy to contribute a foreword, afterword, mid-word, whatever.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 6:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-12 14:02, JONPAUL wrote:
Aloha Everyone!

After many years of having Tiki Central as an extremely important part of almost every aspect of my life,
Iíve finally decided to make it official.
And, I can think of no better occasion on which to do it than today, the historic 10th anniversary of Tiki Central!

Itís a bit strange to write an introduction for so many that I already consider some of my best friends, co-workers
and colleagues, but itís also recently become crystal clear how many other Tiki brothers and sisters are out there
that donít necessarily attend events, are far away, or just plain prefer to exist within the realms of an online forum.
Also, after years of taking (reading and digesting othersí valuable, informative posts), I feel that itís important to
give something back. So, in the near future, it is my intention to share many of the things weíve collected over the
years, including many of the photographs Iíve made that have never seen the light of day. Iíd like to do my part to
help bring the pieces of the Tiki puzzle together as a contributing member of Hanfordís invaluable creation.

Hereís a huge congratulations to Hanford for 10 amazing years and a toast to many, many more!!!

Looking forward to finally being an official, contributing Tiki Central member!

Warmly,

Jonpaul

P.S. For those that I havenít yet had the pleasure of meeting, hereís some brief background information...
Iím a photographer, photo editor, musician, writer and collector from Los Angeles that has been with
Tiki Magazine since issue number one. My work can be seen in Sippiní Safari, Tiki Mugs:
Cult Artifacts of Polynesian Pop
, the upcoming Beachbum Berry Remixed, the revised edition of
Tiki Road Trip, and I am currently working on a couple of Tiki Book projects of my own. I can be
heard playing bass with The Tikiyaki Orchestra, The Boardwalkers and The Insect Surfers and have had
the pleasure of filling in with The Disasternauts, 3 Balls of Fire, The Ghastly Ones, and others. Aloha!

Lets hope the book does not take as long as JP's first post on Tiki Central!

I would be happy to lend any Tiki artifacts and historical items as reference pieces for the book if so desired.

Looking forward to the publication.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-06-28 18:24 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-06-28 6:28 pm   Permalink

I know that when JP sees this he'll appreciate all the kind words but he'll also think "Aw man, I guess I better get moving on this." or at I least I hope so.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 7:33 pm   Permalink

Will this just be bars that jp has been to?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 05:12 am   Permalink

Nice to see my thread generating interest, again. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or the resources to get the job done. If anybody does, I'll help in any way I can. JP, I know you've got the skills.

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2011-06-30 05:13 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation