FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » 2008 - the FINAL Hukilau
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
2008 - the FINAL Hukilau
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:14 am   Permalink

Aloha Hukilau Villagers

This email comes to you with news of the future of the Hukilau event. If you haven’t yet had a chance to attend Hukilau before, you should make plans now as Hukilau 2008 will be our final year.

As we go into this 7th year I see how we’ve grown as an event, I see familiar faces and so many new ones each year. I’ve seen your children grow and some of you get married or engaged while at the event. I’ve met some of the most incredible people from all over the world – it’s become a personal journey, one I will never forget.

I’ve also had the fortune to become close to the Mai-Kai family, which has been such a privilege. To learn so much about the people behind this great Tiki temple is something I will take with me forever. Each experience has been just as the first, truly memorable. It is my favorite place on earth.

I’d like to thank all of the attendees each year as you have made it worth continuing. And to a short list of very important people for without whom, this event would not have been possible: Tim “Swanky” Glazner, Dave “Basement Kahuna” Wolfe, Liz Lang, Sven Kirsten, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, Amy Eggers, Pia Dahlquist, Kern Mattei Jr., Dave Levy, Mirielle Thorton, Linda Sue Marsh, Bre-elle & Tristan Ishtar, Michelle "Humuhumu" Whiting, Hanford Lemoore, The Haole Kats, The Intoxicators, Denny Moynahan aka King Kukulele, James Teitelbaum, Otto Von Stroheim, Holden Westland, Duke Carter, Stacie & Scott Kimrey, Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al Evans, Gary Lazar, Casey Jones, Jeff Chenault, Robert Drasnin, Jonpaul Balak, Marie King, Tiki Bob, Alice Berry, Charles Kerr, Andy Davis, Joe Culligan, Lenore & Steve Koppelman - all of you have provided continuous and amazing support over the years and I thank you.

I encourage all of you to try to make this last year, as I promise to make every effort to bring you the last and the very best yet. There will be additional performances, seminars and surprises announced within the next week to accent our already stellar lineup. You will also see schedule changes so keep a good watch for those so that you can plan your vacation accordingly.

It has been my extreme pleasure bringing Hukilau to you year after year, this has been an extremely difficult decision to say the least.

I’m so looking forward to seeing all of you in June as we celebrate one last time together!

TICKET PRICES WILL NOT INCREASE DUE TO THIS BEING THE LAST HUKILAU

Come aboard and set sail for America’s Vacationland…we’ll be waiting for you!!

The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2008-04-03 11:23 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:23 am   Permalink

No more Hukilau -- say it isn't so! Perhaps this means that good Tiki karma will prevail and there is something else in the works which will replace this wonderful event? I'd love to know why this will be the last Hukilau. More info, please? Thanks!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:29 am   Permalink

Thanks Kiliki (and everyone else she mentioned) for everything you have done to make all of the Hukilau events so much fun.

I remember attending the first event in Atlanta, thinking it would be just a one time event. I was definitely hooked, and made sure I attended the following year, when Hukilau presented me with a perfect opportunity to visit the Mai Kai. I've been fortunate to attend every year since, and look forward to being there in June.

This year's event will be the seventh Hukilau - thanks so much for making those 7 years so much more fun and interesting.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:30 am   Permalink

Why?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:54 am   Permalink

I can't speak for Kiliki, but I can tell you that it's just a lot of work. A year's worth of effort. Here is how it's worked as far as I can say:

Each year has meant a year of hard work to make it happen and it has never seen a real profit. Mostly it has cost money out of pocket.

The event has a huge budget and you start each year with nothing in the bank and just pray enough people show up to make it balance out. That's a lot of stress.

It is a lot of work. You end up working your butt off at the event and can't truly enjoy the party you have thrown.

In 2004 when Huricane Jeanne hit, it set me back about $7-8,000. That's when I decided I could not take the risk any more. Any number of things can happen that would cause all that work to be a bust. Stress.

I know it is a labor of love and I'd say Kiliki needs a bit of a break. It just gets bigger and bigger and requires more and more. And it is always a gamble as to whether you will have the money to pay everyone on time, etc.

The community is fantastic. Seeing everyone every years is what makes it great. And many untold people have helped in many ways to make it possible at all.

Why? It's 7 years of hard work and stress. I'm amazed she has kept up the hard work this long...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:59 am   Permalink

Thanks for that explanation.

I'm so disappointed that I never made it to the Hukilau and committments prevented me going this year-again! My Wahine and I had it penciled in for next year as a definite., no excuses must go.

Guess we'll just have to make a trip to the Mai Kai now and hope one day for the Hukilau reunion.

Have a blast all of you who are going this year and please have a Mai Tai for me.

Si

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:09 am   Permalink

You guys did good. real good. Mahalo.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bodotikiman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:18 am   Permalink

I will miss it ! Thanks for everything!

View Profile of Bodotikiman Send a personal message to Bodotikiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for some great Hukilau memories Kiliki!
The ones I can remember.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIMIKE FL
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:37 am   Permalink

Tiki Kiliki,

I am sorry to hear that this Hukilau will be the last year. My wife and I have been to the last two events. We will be there this time too. It is like my TIKI convention in Florida instead of being in Vegas. We love the vintage style aura of the people in the way they dress and party. It's a great event!!
I will volunteer for the event because, we have our Aloha tickets already and we are just going to party anyway.

Good Luck,
Tiki Mike

[ This Message was edited by: TIKIMIKE FL 2010-06-17 11:13 ]

View Profile of TIKIMIKE FL Send a personal message to TIKIMIKE FL  Email TIKIMIKE FL Goto the website of TIKIMIKE FL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:39 am   Permalink

Another person whom I cannot go without thanking is Elizabeth Lang aka I Dream of Tiki. Without her dedicated assistance for the past several years and her dedication to our friendship and my event, I would've lost my mind years ago. Liz - there are no words to express how much you're valued and adored by me and by Hukilau!

Thanks to everyone for your comments!! It is a very sad time...

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 09:59 am   Permalink

Kiliki,

I am very grateful to the incredible effort you have put into this event for so many years.... thanks for creating so many great memories.

Thank You,

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:45 am   Permalink

thanks for everything TK.
It's very sad, but we had the best time thanks to you (and your helpers).

Now, I thought I'd be invited next year to do a theremin concert, that sucks (I promised it to Louise...)

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:58 am   Permalink

I sure feel lucky being able to attend one Hukilau. My only experience was a great one, and I really want to thank everyone involved. I just hope there will be something on par to fill the vaccuum left by the legacy of Tiki Kiliki and Swanky and all the other folks who marshalled this event along. My hat is off to you Hukilau organizers - job well done. Too bad it's over (for now?)

Mahalo,

Greg

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:58 am   Permalink

Kiliki, thanks to you and everyone that made the Hukilau happen every year. We have so many great memories from the '06 shindig, and we're glad we finally made the decision to make the trek to this year's event. Thanks again for your hard work!

Mahalo,
Frostiki

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation