FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events May 18th Masonic Luau in El Cajon!!!MAY CHOP!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
May 18th Masonic Luau in El Cajon!!!MAY CHOP!
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 10:31 am   Permalink

I wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and advice at the Shriners Luau Chop.
The chops are really the best way for a visual learner like myself to learn about tiki carving.

I have a few pics of the "Nerf Tiki" I did. Cammo gets credit for the design on this one since I had no idea what to do.

I hope to burn this one at the next chop.

Can't wait for the next chop. I will keep an eye out for upcoming dates.

I hope to burn this one at the next chop.

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:29 am   Permalink

That first tiki is pretty cool, considering the difficulty level of that log. Bravo, Geedavee!

I'll post some pics of the happenings later. Grace left early and took my freakin' camera with her(Grace and Bella were definite victims of the heat!) so I did'nt get pics of the pig or anything.

Speaking of heat exhaustion, how is Mieko doing today?

Got a message from Buzzy and he had to work yesterday, thus the absence of my Martins' Lewis.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at
http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ This Message was edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-19 11:35 ]

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:43 am   Permalink

Paint the Nerf Tiki white & red and it would look like the Joker from Batman! Great job considering it carved like old styrofoam. It might not burn - it might MELT.

How about a beach party next time, so we can go in the water anytime we want to cool off? (It's always cooler beside the ocean anyway.) I carved at the beach once and it was fantastic - a whole crown gathers around and there's nothing like Tikis, Sand and Saltwater all together.

Time spent carving Tikis at the beach is not subtracted from your life's total hours.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-19 11:29, Billy the Crud wrote:
Speaking of heat exhaustion, how is Mieko doing today?

Thanks for asking - Today is going fine, but yesterday was bad - by the time I got home I was pretty out of it for quite a while.

It was a pretty neat time with all the different faces, but heat + Mieko = Bad

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 1:11 pm   Permalink

Glad you're feeling better, Mieko!!

Beach chop!!! I'm in!!

Make it happen, Cam!

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 5:28 pm   Permalink

Glad Mieko feels better. We should bring a little thermometer with us when we're carving, inside the Flexcut box.

How about a Beach-Chop-A-Bingo!?

On a Saturday, South Mission Beach, right beside the jetty. We can do a fire all day, swim, hang, chop, play guitar and uke, whatever. Italian Bocce Ball World Elimination Match. Lots of Hawaiian plate lunch places close by. I say do it the first weekend in June. All day, stay as late as ya want.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shell in the Pacific
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-19 6:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha Faithful Choppers,
It was good meet and re-meet a few of you yesterday. Billy thanks for inviting TC people to this event! Jeremy and I enjoyed chatting with everyone, and we were sorry we had to leave so early and miss the rest of the afternoon. Meiko, sorry to hear how the heat did you in. I know I have been there, and it is no fun! Don't worry, it won't be so bad at Hukilau! I'm looking forward to seeing you there! I'll keep my eye on the Chop Thread, and try to get to another one soon! Mahalo again Billy!
Aloha,
Shelley

View Profile of Shell in the Pacific Send a personal message to Shell in the Pacific  Email Shell in the Pacific     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:26 pm   Permalink

(insert date at the bottom...)

Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:48 pm   Permalink

I may be moving the first or second week of June. Shoot for the 21st?

buzzard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 09:34 am   Permalink

billy
i saved myself for the 3oclck pig and it was great
i didnt get alot done but my friend johny really went to town
he even finished a cement moai from masubi mom

i like the idea of a beach chop
i live across from the beach in ocean beach
there is even a grass park next to the sand,bbq,bathrooms,showers
lifeguards said it was ok,and you can unload right there
the 28th is the chili cookoff,tons of people
im open any weekend

View Profile of buzzard Send a personal message to buzzard  Email buzzard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 09:59 am   Permalink

A few of us had talked and mentioned Tikimecula's place as a possibility for the next chop, just cause it's such a great place, but after last weekend I'm less excited about chopping in the (very likely) extreme heat.

Personally, the best date for me is the 28th. The 21nd I might be able to make for a few hours, but I'm pretty sure it's a bad date for Kate.

If we did a beach chop I'd want to make sure we have bathrooms nearby, I'd want to make sure we don't leave splinters in the sand, and look into the legality. As we chop in public places we have to be a lot more careful and safety minded.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 10:33 am   Permalink

South Mission is right beside (like 200 feet) the newest public bathrooms in San Diego. They are beeeuti-ful!

We'd be right in front of the lifeguard station, I've carved there before and they were cool with it. They love it in fact.

We can just put down some towels or beach blankets to carve on, its easy. Square off an area just for us. Dump the chips into the firepit right beside us.

Parking is easy and plentiful early in the day.

Lots of beach shells.

Swimming & surfing is great.

Thomas can play Uke.

There are at least 3-4 Hawaiian plate lunch and Islander gift shops real close.

Gee, have I forgot anything????

Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 11:12 am   Permalink

Let's make it for the 28th, then! I should be all settled in and be able to make it with little or no stress on the family cabletow.
I'm thinking we should bring food instead of paying for it, man. Pic-nic style........made crunchy with bits of sand!

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 12:08 pm   Permalink

OOOOHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I love food with crunchy bits of sand.

Scott and I are in!

Jen

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 2:14 pm   Permalink

god made dirt, and dirt dont hurt

me and my uke are in!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation