FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki art swap # 4 - Vintage poly pop menu cover inspired art
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki art swap # 4 - Vintage poly pop menu cover inspired art
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 7:35 pm   Permalink

Usually I wouldn't recommend another swap straight away, but a number of people have commented that a longer period to make their art would be great. So, I'm thinking we'll kick off the next swap straight away, but not have the 'due date' for like 3-4 months time. What do people think of that time frame?

Paipo made an awesome suggestion that we go with vintage poly pop menu covers as a theme. A number of people agreed that was a cool theme, and no one objected, so we'll run with that. So the art can be anything inspired by vintage menu covers, whether it be a faux cover for a fictitious vintage bar, a painting of a tiki/bar featured on a menu cover, or a carving based on a tiki on a menu cover. Lots of scope for different styles to suite a wide variety of tastes, and lots of fun doing the research too

Here's some links Paipo provided to start your homework:
http://arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/postcards/album01/

For the newcomers the way the swap works is this:
* The theme is given, and participants create their art and post in this thread.
* The work should be a new and original piece of art. No prints, no old art you've got siting around you want to offload (because one of the aims of the swap is to be a catalyst for new art to be made).
* One entry per person. As someone said, it would be too easy for someone to make a heap of pieces in order to get pieces back from everyone.
* Everyone needs to complete their piece by the due date. No piece, no entry.
* A draw is then done of all the entrants. Message your swap partner, exchange addresses, and get some awesome art in the mail. note - there's a good chance your piece will be going overseas, so for your own sake dont make it too heavy or bulky to send overseas!

HAVE FUN!!!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 7:51 pm   Permalink

Sweet! I was thinking menu covers because it is pretty limitless...there are tikis of every persuasion (traditional and Poly Pop), wahines, mugs - pretty much as good as having an unlimited theme anyway, and everyone has access to the same resources. I would like to see the menu each artist has used as their inspiration posted with the finished piece so we can see how the artist chose to interpret it.
Hopefully the longer timeframe will draw in some new participants - good idea hewey.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-05 7:56 pm   Permalink

Ok - I am so down with this swap!
I am KILLING myself for not joining in the last one - I was too intimidated by the theme and decided to pass. Big mistake! Time for me to start flipping through menu covers!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 07:37 am   Permalink

Ohhhh yeah! In fo sure!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 08:03 am   Permalink

me too.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 08:41 am   Permalink

mmmmmmmmmmmmm-meebee...
lemme check my schedule...
i was hoping "Clowns" or "Midgets on fire"
would be the theme for the next swap....

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 10:05 am   Permalink

OOOOOHHHHHH midgets on fire! I'd be so into that!

Yep, we're in for the menu topic swap!

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 10:57 am   Permalink

Sounds great! I even came up with one idea already, I'll have to see if I can make it work. 3/4 months is good this time of year, which puts us at either the beginning or end of July?

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 11:26 am   Permalink

How bout midget clowns on fire under a tiki torch?

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 11:53 am   Permalink

Didn't feel I could really offer an unique enough piece for this, in the past.

But I'm happy with the way my painting is going, plus love the theme, so I'm in.

Thanks for running it.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 06:17 am   Permalink

Digging through some of those old images, I may be able to crank something out for this. Been itching to try to make an outrigger out of some scrap surfboard foam. Who knows, maybe it'll work.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 07:49 am   Permalink

i'm in!!....no, really.....i mean it this time.....i'm in.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 11:19 am   Permalink

Hi Guys
God knows what I can come up with, but a challenge is a challenge so I'm in.
This may sound really stupid but I take it the poly/pop menu theme is for inspiration!!!!
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 1:38 pm   Permalink

It's up to you if you want to do a replica or interpretation of a classic restaurant "logo tiki" (which will probably be the route I go), work from some design element on the cover (the outrigger mentioned above being a great example) , or (more for the painters) maybe create a fictitious cover in the style of the old ones. Perhaps it could be focused around some of the typefaces used.
As for carving - if you aren't up for doing something outside the square, there are plenty of teko, tang, ku, PNG and moai images to be found on these covers, but we've seen all that stuff before. It would be great to see some of the more obscure 50s/60s gems interpreted by the swap artists.
Here's a few of my favourites just to get some theme vibe here in the thread:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 9:44 pm   Permalink

I'm thinking?

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation