FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events APRIL CHOP - Saturday the 26th!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
APRIL CHOP - Saturday the 26th!
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 4:59 pm   Permalink

Ugh, I knew I was going to forget people.

I'll bring my clipboard of sandpaper and pass on what I can remember about sharpening from Benzart. Hopefully others from the Oki Oki can help.

I was just thinking the other day that I didn't know anyone with a router... glad to know that I do Derek.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 5:50 pm   Permalink

"I'll bring my clipboard of sandpaper..."

As Mieko says, that's basically Benzart's sharpening technique - start with a stone if the tool is really dull, then just clip 4-6 grades of emery to a clipboard.

Always sharpen the chisel's side with the angle, not the flat side.

Start at the back emery, the roughest, and sharpen it down for like 10-12 strokes, move on to the next, finer one, for less strokes, and on down to the finest grade on top of the clipboard. Finally, use the finest grade to sharpen the other side of the chisel, just once, to take the tiny little gritty steel off that's bent down around the edge. Feel it and you'll see what I mean.

Bingo, razor sharp.

Benz is kind of crazy, so he actually finishes with a leather strop. You can also use sharpening goo that Buzzy seems to know all about, and there are odd little sharpening devices that Flexcut sells.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 5:53 pm   Permalink

So does that mean you're coming Cam...or not?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 6:29 pm   Permalink

I may come, but I'll be bringing my mom, who will be 80 in 1 week. She was up at 5:30 for the Parking Lot Sale, helping us load chairs onto the van. (So anybody who didn't come to the Sale has no valid excuse.) She got along great with Kennie, maybe because he's jealous of her ultra-white, soft as silk hair. She's the original real-deal spunky 1940's tomboy.

And I can bring more Kava. We'll see.

If I don't come, I'm sure everybody understands.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 6:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 17:50, Cammo wrote:

As Mieko says, that's basically Benzart's sharpening technique - start with a stone if the tool is really dull, then just clip 4-6 grades of emery to a clipboard.

Always sharpen the chisel's side with the angle, not the flat side.

Start at the back emery, the roughest, and sharpen it down for like 10-12 strokes, move on to the next, finer one, for less strokes, and on down to the finest grade on top of the clipboard. Finally, use the finest grade to sharpen the other side of the chisel, just once, to take the tiny little gritty steel off that's bent down around the edge. Feel it and you'll see what I mean.

Bingo, razor sharp.

I know all that, I just need to see it done, especially on curved chisels. Flat chisels I got down.
Hope! you make it, Cam.

Thomas, bring those CD's! Sorry, no turntable that's hooked up.

[ This Message was edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-04-25 20:30 ]

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 7:40 pm   Permalink

Buzzy's the pro and the final word on all sharpening techniques, but for curved tools, I think you just rotate the chisel as you sharpen.

"How you make it, Cam."

What's that mean????

Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 7:54 pm   Permalink

I may not be able to come to the chop tomorrow. My son's baseball game is right in the middle of it, but if we get out of there at a decent time we'll try to head over. If we can't make it I'll see you at the luau next month. Don't have too much fun without me!

Zaya

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 8:59 pm   Permalink

Bill,

Can you play Ipod music through your home stereo?

or is it CD only

Im packed and ready to go.. damn I have a ton of crap

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 11:08 pm   Permalink

dang cant make it anymore, just founf out we need to audition replacement drummers this weekend. have fun everyone

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 11:40 pm   Permalink

Band BEFORE carving, Thomas!!?? Wassupwittat? I'm MOVING........BUYING A NEW HOUSE to carve(that, and condo life is for kids and old folks......just not in the same complex). I see how you are. Since we have no volcano, we're throwing you into the burning meth lab at the El Cajon Luau chop!!

I didn't have time for rum cake this month, but hows about some Mai Tai fixins instead? Babs and I can stop along the way and get some. Mai Tais, Kava, Musubi, doughnuts........and choco-cookies!

Happy heartburn, man. Worth every acidic burp you can muster!

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 01:49 am   Permalink

Well here's another one I have to miss, wife reminded my of a birthday party in Temecula for a lil' 95 year old pistol of a gal that I love dearly! Chop one for me folks!

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 06:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 20:59, Monkeyman wrote:
Bill,

Can you play Ipod music through your home stereo?

or is it CD only

It's CD AND cassette , no ipod, sorry.

Bummer you can't make it, Thomas and Birdman. Next time...

Is someone could grab a bag of ice, that would be great

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 07:15 am   Permalink

Do NOT mix alcohol and Kava, Billy, it ain't healthy.

Also, they're exactly the opposite in effect; they'd end up cancelling each other out.

Can somebody click Billy's switch to "medium"?

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 07:42 am   Permalink

Word up Wheeler,

I've got an auxiliary cable that will tie an iPod through a stereo...If you have red and white auxiliary inlets on the back of your stereo there, we're good to go.

Here comes the sun...looks like a nice day.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 08:01 am   Permalink

I would have been on my way right now! Damn....instead I'm gettin ready to lug furniture.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation