FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Restaurants - Vintage Drink Girls
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Restaurants - Vintage Drink Girls
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 6:09 pm   Permalink

After getting so-so service from my waitress at the local tiki restaurant here in town, I thought it would be fun to put together a postcard series showing waitresses serving tropical drinks from vintage tiki bars and restaurants back when service meant something.

We'll start with the original: The Mai Kai Mystery Drink Girl

Then the "copycat" Kahiki Mystery Drink Girl

This in one of my favorites - now that's how to serve a drink!
From the Samoan Restaurant in Cocoa Beach, Florida

Hawaiian Punch Village from Marineland in Ohio

These are from the Bali Hai in San Diego - you can see Mr. Bali Hai on the tray.

And from the Tahiti Restaurant in Quebec. Now how come she has the huge tiki bowl and he's got the little mug? That' my kind of date!

From the Tonga Room in San Francisco - Why is the sea captain so grumpy? Beautiful woman, tikis and big drink.

A lovely Hawaiian Girl serving tropical drinks - Is she checking that one to make sure its strong enough?

The Kalua Room in Seattle Check out the menu and the mugs on the table!

You just don't get service like that anymore!

Enjoy

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 6:35 pm   Permalink

Awesome picts! Mahalo for showing how it used to be. Love the decor and the history lesson.
Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 6:55 pm   Permalink

..any other info on the samoan restaurant in cocoa beach?? what street was it located on?..any other pics??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:15 pm   Permalink

brilliant post DJ!!

excellent topic and fine examples shown here.

but i can't help but think that that young lass is going to have a frothy moustache the way she's sipping that drink? or is she hiding behind it??

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:46 pm   Permalink

Excellent 35th post!

Seriously, I haven't seen many of these before. Fun topic. Thanks!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 18:09, Dustycajun wrote:

From the Tonga Room in San Francisco - Why is the sea captain so grumpy? Beautiful woman, tikis and big drink.

Good question, the answer is everyone in the Tonga Room is grumpy.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 19:15, harro wrote:
...but i can't help but think that that young lass is going to have a frothy moustache the way she's sipping that drink? or is she hiding behind it??

That's Elithe Aguilar, isn't it?:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5576&forum=1&start=0

The drink presentation girl is a great concept, not only for postcards, there are numerous graphic depictions (as in rendered!) of her, too. The Samoa postcard is a killer, never seen it, and never heard of the place before! The menu on the table looks great, close up please! And of the entrance, perhaps?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 8:44 pm   Permalink

And while we're on the subject, does anyone have any footage, descriptions, or pictures of these wahines doing drink rituals that go with the libations? I know Mai Kai has the mystery drink that comes with a ceremony and I believe The Kahiki had one too. I sort of have a Kahiki fantasy of the lights going dim and smoke billowing threw the air while the drink is held up to the fire place and its red eyes flashing and an exotic soundtrack.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 10:38 pm   Permalink

I will post some more close up shots of the Samoa restaurant and the back of the card for those of you with interest in that one.

Bigbro,

I have always thought that the Hawaiian girl with the drink was Elithe Aguilar or "Miss Kauai". I have her other postcards and it has to be her, though a little hard to tell behind the frosty mug.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 10:46 pm   Permalink

I forgot to include this one of the Mai Kai waitress, courtesy of Swanky at Swankpad.

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 12:25 am   Permalink

impossible to be sure, but I don't think that's Elithe Aguilar. The eyebrow curve, pronounced shoulder blades, and other charmingly larger attributes are clear differences. Also, that post card has a real 50's vibe, and Elithe wasn't Miss Kauai until 1964.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 22:46, Dustycajun wrote:
I forgot to include this one of the Mai Kai waitress, courtesy of Swanky at Swankpad.

This is Annie. We are trying to figure out if she is the girl in the Mystery Girl postcard. Also trying to get her to Hukilau. She gave me the name of the man who made the Mystery Drink movie, which she starred in. She had the movie, but her kids wore it out. It came with a viewer and was sold in the gift shop. He is supposedly still in the Lauderdale area. No luck so far.

I love the story of her getting hired. She was a model for wigs and Bob Thornton got a bunch of pictures from them and said "I'll take all these girls." They all showed up and it was just Annie! She says she wore so many wigs she has trouble figuring out who is her in the old pictures.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 09:20 am   Permalink

That, is a great story.

So by vintage, you mean actually back in the day, yeah?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 10:35 am   Permalink

Great idea for a thread! And I would love to see more on the Samoan Restaurant in Cocoa Beach. Haven't heard of it before.

Swanky - Annie's also the redhead from the (I think) 1960 calendar, right? If so, I didn't realize that was the same person!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-11 09:20, Haole'akamai wrote:
That, is a great story.
So by vintage, you mean actually back in the day, yeah?

Is your question meant in regards to the movie? if so, yes. BOT, page 138:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-11 10:44 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation