FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Samoa, Cocoa Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Samoa, Cocoa Beach, FL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 07:25 am   Permalink

Name:Samoa
Type:restaurant
Street:A1A (100 Feet South of Cocoa Causeway)
City:Cocoa Beach
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:SUnset 3-2540

Description:
Samoa Restaurant in Cocoa Beach, Floriday. Also a location in Vero Beach.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 07:34 am   Permalink

Here are pictures from the postcard. I had posted this in the Collecting Tiki forum and got a lot of interest, so I thought I would put it here as well to see if anybody has information on this (thanks Swanky).

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 11:22 am   Permalink

Forgot to put the entire postcard in, here it is. Hope to hear more about this place.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 11:45 am   Permalink

Here is a matchbook from the Samoa in Cocoa Beach.
A bit different in style from the menu seen on the table in the postcard.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-08 08:44, McTiki wrote:
I believe that the Samoa (Cocoa Beach) is now the Wakulla Suites. It is literally ~100 ft South of SR 520.

Thanks for the information McTiki. It looks like they added the hotel building next to the old restaurant building. Is there still a restaurant there?

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-09 08:43 am   Permalink

Man. that looked like a cool place.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-21 12:09 pm   Permalink

I think that it is the current Wakulla as well. The Wakulla is about 7 blocks south of SR520, close to a mile south. Still a very cool place. The little restaurant on the right as you look at the picture has some really bitching propane torches that they spark up at night. The inner courtyard is cheek-to-jowl with tropical plants and concrete tikis that are pictured above.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 09:09 am   Permalink

A menu from the Samoa has surfaced! Its not the same one that is shown on the table in the postcard however, so at least one more style exists out there somewhere.

The cover

The food

The menu does have same graphic shown on the menu in the postcard and on the front entrance of the building.

Last but not least the drinks.

Love to see new stuff show up out there.

DC

dannydonqui

Posted: 2009-06-24 12:39 pm   Permalink

The Samoa used to be where Ron Jon's now stands. I used to go there with my parents in the 60s. Wakulla Motel (before it was suites) was where it is today, but was a plain two story motel. It was there when the Samoa was open.

View Profile of dannydonqui Send a personal message to dannydonqui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 12:25 pm   Permalink

<Bump>

I grabbed wooden Tiki carving off of Craigslist this past weekend. The lady said she got it from the Samoa in Cocoa Beach back in 1967.

Its 3 feet and change and looks exactly like the one on the matchbook (right side) and menu that Dusty posted.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 12:30 pm   Permalink

JackLord,

That's fantastic, please post a photo of the Samoa Tiki.

DC

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-05 12:47 pm   Permalink

What a cool looking place.I have not heard much about this place in the past .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-05 12:30, Dustycajun wrote:
JackLord,

That's fantastic, please post a photo of the Samoa Tiki.

DC

In time, Dusty. I am the lone holdout when it comes to digital cams. The wife has one but the manual has disapeared and I am useless without instructions.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-05 2:44 pm   Permalink

Here's a vintage street photo from the Mosquito Beaters website (
www.mosquitobeaters.org) showing the Samoa's sign...

And one person's memories of another era that included the Samoa (from http://www.angelfire.com/fl/boardheads2/trivia6.html)...

Quote:
Cocoa Beach

My family moved to Cocoa Beach in 1958, A1A was a two lane dirt road and Ron Jon's was located next to the Samoa lounge.

Graduated from Cocoa Beach High school in 1972, played football, basketball, wrestled and threw the shot put. I was the first state record in the school history in track and field. But that's not what I proud of, I'm proud of the fact as to where I was raised.

I tell people of the stories of Cocoa Beach and they just say, "sure". Nobody knew that Hulk Hogan worked at the Anchor club, with Don "The Dragon" Wilson and myself. People don't understand that you didn't have to lock your house when you went to work or school. Our police force would correct your behavior, not arrest you.

- Ricky A. McIntosh - 5/17/07

The Samoa specialized in unique island entertainment...

Florida Today September 17, 1968

It ensured tiki played a memorial role in early Space Coast history, as told by TC's own TornadoTiki in the following article...

Florida Today July 1, 2009

-Tom

***Original post edited to include missing byline credit for "US space history began in Brevard" article

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-06 14:32 ]

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 09:37 am   Permalink

You forgot to include the by-line for that last news story. It was written by TornadoTiki. Here's the link to the original article online:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090701/BREAKINGNEWS/90701002/U-S-space-history-began-Brevard

And here's her great video about the Apollo 11 launch "Moonstruck on the Space Coast":

http://www.floridatoday.com/VideoNetwork/61863938001/30-MINUTE-SPECIAL-Moonstruck-on-the-Space-Coast

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation