FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Samoa, Cocoa Beach, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Samoa, Cocoa Beach, FL (restaurant)
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 12:29 pm   Permalink

Found this interesting video from old Cocoa Beach. If you look at around the :30 mark, you'll see the sign for the Samoa on the right. Judging by the overhead street signs just after you pass it, the Samoa must be located just a bit south of the 520/A1A intersection. Maybe TikiTomD can do some time/speed/distance calculations to place the Samoa more accurately!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xyINKiPjss

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-16 2:27 pm   Permalink

Really nice find, George! There are discontinuities in the video clip that make it a bit difficult as a precision navigational tool, but it sure shows the locale, and that's cool background music. I believe the reference points from the Crossway Inn and West Garage on Marion Lane, when coupled with the official Brevard County property records, bound the location pretty tightly, as shown earlier in this thread, to multiple lots a bit over 400 feet south of the 520 Causeway. This video certainly evokes the glory days of the early space age!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-06 09:24 am   Permalink

Serendipity strikes again... while exchanging information with Nani Maka about the Yankee Clipper Polynesian Room in Fort Lauderdale, I found that she had once performed in a series of club dates at the Samoa in Cocoa Beach. Here are the September 15, 1962 cover and an inside ad for the Samoa in Cocoa Beach's Orbit Publications entertainment guide featuring Nani Maka, star of the Yankee Clipper Polynesian Room, Bunny Yeager model and leading lady in the movie, Pagan Island...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-06 6:44 pm   Permalink

One of the reasons I was sorry to miss this year's Hukilau!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-06 11:26 pm   Permalink

We sure missed you at Hukilau this year, Sven! But yours was a higher mission... wished I could have spared the time off from the rocket ranch for a trip to Paris!

I've rotated, clipped, enlarged and applied some correction for fading to the Samoa ad montage on the cover of the Orbits Publications entertainment guide above. It's still poor quality imagery as it's degraded newsprint, but it does provide a glimpse of the Samoa's interior arrangement...

The 1960s were heady times in Cocoa Beach and the surrounding Florida Space Coast. Here are a couple of Facebook posts about the Samoa from my timeline...

From Nani Maka: "Loved the Samoa, in between shows Mareva & I would sneak down a few doors & listen to Gene Krupa & his group entertaining at .....hmm... The Alibi?? Not sure of the name of the club."

From Nauga Hydaway: "I was lucky enough to spend my wonder years living on the space coast. These images are the reason why I love poly pop so much today. It was part of growing up. Between this and the birth of space travel it was an amazing time in an amazing place. Chances are my parents saw Nani Maka perform at the Samoa!"

-Tom

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-07 08:37 am   Permalink

Tom, those are interesting photos. It was great that we got to meet Nani Maka at this year's Hukilau. Thanks for posting those.

Also, I don't remember seeing an accordion in Poly pop entertainment before.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-07 1:32 pm   Permalink

Good observation, AceExplorer, on the presence of an accordion! They were sure ready if Nani decided to perform a polka

Actually, there is some precedence for the use of an accordion in playing Hawaiian music. Wouldn't say it is commonplace, and I can't cite any specific examples from memory, but I've run across it in the past.

-Tom

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 09:56 am   Permalink

Great photos Tom, thanks for cleaning them up and posting. Always nice to see the inside of these places.

Another menu type seen on ebay.

The cover.

The Tiki drinks.

The food.

Some nice little graphics.

Love the Friday Hukilau fish feast!

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2014-11-13 10:00 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 11:30 am   Permalink

Love that abstract logo Tiki of the Samoa. I tried to make up what the small type next to the Tiki rendering on the inside says, but it fell apart in blow up. Did we-know-who get it?

Tom, I had missed your interior blow ups, I dig the term Tahitian "Devilment". Love those old-fashioned words, it also means "frolicsomeness", "roguery", "waggishness", "rascality" and in general: monkey business!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 07:18 am   Permalink

DC, the menu you just posted seems to be from a later time than the one on page 1 of this thread, as the left border of the cocktail listing makes reference to a Vero Beach location that we've seen on some of the postcards. Nice work!

The Samoa was the greatest of the Space Coast's Tiki temples, in my view, and its popularity, then eventual devolution and fall from grace seems to closely mirror so many of Poly Pop's glorious islands of paradise...

-Tom

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation