FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Plaster Mold Making & Some Ceramics
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Plaster Mold Making & Some Ceramics
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-13 10:06 am   Permalink

Working on my next slip-cast project, not exactly "tiki" but I guess it's Polynesian Pop. This is actually the model, hope to make a mold from it.

The "surprize" at the bottom of the mug will be cast separately as a medallion and added on.

After making my model, I did an internet search and found someone had beat me to it (again) Mauna Loa already made one. I guess mine is an updated version.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-13 6:18 pm   Permalink

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone beat you to the updated version too....

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-13 9:05 pm   Permalink

OK !!!! Moving on to the next project! Anyone ever work with alginate?

EDIT - That's funny; I thought about adding a cross to the bone pile and calling it "Missionary Stew" - the "Cannibal Pot" has a cross in the bone pile too.

[ This Message was edited by: maddogmike 2008-06-13 21:10 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-13 18:18, Paipo wrote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone beat you to the updated version too....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone beat him to it still
The first in a long time

No one is laying to calm the idea and saying that no one else can make one, just showing that others had the great ideas to make one first.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-06-27 06:49 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 12:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-15 16:35, teaKEY wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-13 18:18, Paipo wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone him to it still The first in a long time

"But someone him to it still"

?????????????????????????????

Its not like its an original idea period! It's been drawn more times than tiki mugs have been sculpted. The idea that anyone can lay claim to this idea is as ludicrous as someone saying they created the first stacked totem mug.

Nice sculpt MadDM!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-06-17 00:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-06-17 00:29 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-17 5:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the input folks and for the kind words SneakyTiki. I'm afraid my design has more than just a passing resemblence to Rum Demon's even though it was an "independent discovery". Maybe I'll make up a few for personal use, maybe I'll just move on to my next design.

tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 11:05 am   Permalink

Wow, great thread here. That Okidoki mug is AWESOME!!! On my molds, I forgot to put in a funnel, so the rims of my mugs end up being a pain to fix. Great job on the photos and process. Makes me want to get started on my next mug!

I was able to make a master mold by putting the plaster pieces in a box, with flatsides down for an open faced mold. I clear-coated the plaster, then sprayed Mold Release, and I then poured $150 worth of mold making latex over the four pieces. I had a 4 piece plaster mold, so I put two pieces in a box, then the other two in another box.

After the latex dried, I just popped out the plaster mold from the latex. This plaster mold was unusable because it had been clearcoated, which stops the absorption of water.

I then mixed a lot of plaster for 2 days straight, pouring mold making plaster into the latex molds and in two days, I had 5 working molds for a mug! A few of the mold pieces had gotten warped, but a master mold maker friend soaked them in water with the rubber bands on tight, and was able to fix them so no clay slip leaked out anymore!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-26 9:35 pm   Permalink

Babalu, if you run off and leave your thread unprotected, there's no telling WHO might post here
I made the mold for Headhunter Stew. It LOOKS much better than my first mold, let's see how it casts. The little round piece in the foreground is a pushmold for the "bonepile" in the bottom of the mug.

Last time I had trouble working with the clay at the separation line because it was down inside the mold box and I couldn't get to it very well. This time I tried something new. I made the mold box out of foam-core board. I scored the sides and folded them down so I could work the clay. When I was done I folded them back up, sealed the corners with clay, taped the heck out it and poured in the plaster. Seems to have worked well

I'm out of slip, will pick up some next week and see what happens.

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 07:21 am   Permalink

Tiki Tony - Wow, we are honored that you jumped in...Thanks so much for describing how you created multiple molds from one master. It's a great thing for folks to be able to see how others have problem solved these processes too. One really needs multiple molds if they are planning on making a large run of mugs...it's just to time consuming with just one mold. And thanks for commenting on Cammo's Oki Doki design too...I can see why you like that one; I think that you and Cammo have some things in common...You both have this wonderful since of whimsy in your works that I really enjoy. I can't wait to see what you bring to Oasis this year! I still need to add a Tiki Tony mug to my little, but growing, collection of mugs.

Mad Doggie, Your just on fire brother! Have you tried to pull a casting yet from your bowl, or are you totally out of slip? It looks like you are planning on having the bottom of your bowl to be flat, which is fine, you just won't be able to glaze the bottom unless you use stilts to fire the mugs on. Are you going to glaze fire the bone pile into place at the bottom of the mug? Be sure to look for undercuts on that bone pile before pouring your mold. I guess I will see you over here on the 3rd...you'll have some mugs to glaze up

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-27 6:14 pm   Permalink

I didn't understand why TikiTony was making multiple molds of the same mug but didn't want to open my mouth and show my ignorance. Now I understand.

I could ask this question in person, but maybe someone else wants to know... how does not glazing the bottom of the mug affect things? Yes I think I'll glaze fire the bone pile in place. I had first thought I would add it to the bottom when the mug was fresh out of the mold to make it all one piece. But it would be difficult to glaze the individual bones white down in the bottom of the mug. Bubalu, I will call you this evening

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 11:40 pm   Permalink

If you glaze the bottom of the mug the glaze will fuze to the Kiln shelf and you will end up in a big mess and possibly having to replace the shelf.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-28 09:21 am   Permalink

At least your mug wouldn't tip over with the kiln shelf glaze fused to the bottom of it

What I meant was, what are the ramifications of not glazing the bottom of the mug?

Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 09:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 21:35, MadDogMike wrote:

Well done, MadDog!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-28 2:38 pm   Permalink

Thank you Bowana

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-12 1:17 pm   Permalink

I have stood on the shoulders of giants and created my own Tiki Mug! Thank you HMC for a thread about a year ago that peaked my interest. Thank you Bowana and Babalu for this thread. Thank you so much Babalu for all your help and time in your studio.

My mug is kinda flat and 2D but it matches my first tiki (which is also kinda flat and 2D). My plan was to make a "mascot mug" ala Mr Bali Hai. Of course, it doesn't hold a candle to some of the mugs I've seen posted here, but it's my first mug and I'm not ashamed of it

I accidentally got opaque glaze so all my wood grain texture got buried and doesn't show up, one of the many lessons I learned. I bought a small kiln, Babalu says I'm hooked. I also glazed a couple of "faux lobster tails" yeaterday. My daughter and I are deathly allegic to lobster, so we'll eat monkfish from these dishes and pretend it's lobster.

I'm bisque firing today, some "Headhunter Stew" mugs and I got 2 or 3 mugs floating around my brain right now. I think I'll have fun with this for a long time

Again, thanks to everyone for your help and input.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation