FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Plaster Mold Making & Some Ceramics
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Plaster Mold Making & Some Ceramics
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 09:31 am   Permalink

That's so cool NOTCH...I can't wait to see what new epic goodie you have come up with this time!

and thanks for the props, but really, I am a newbie to mold making as well...I only helped to documented the things that Sir B - Bowana (the man) showed me and a few others how to do. I don't know if you have seen Dave's new mold yet on his carving thread? He sculpted this on a spray paint can

Go to -
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22368&forum=7&start=420

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2009-05-12 09:31 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 10:20 pm   Permalink

Hey It's MP. I just wanted to give a shout out to Babalu, Bowana and everyone involved in the making of this
thread. I started really reading through TC about the time of Forbidden Islands Parking lot sale 3
and I started reading this thread. I did some casting in school and even have the fancy books, but
it was this thread that got me off my ass to cast a tiki mug. This guys name is Therm Tower and is
about 10" tall and very heavy. I think because of the indented corners it need thicker walls to hold its shape.
I leave the slip in about 1 hour then pour it out and leave it upside down overnight. These guys are heavy
but I dig'em. Right now I'm screwing around with glaze experiments for them. I will have a bunch of these
and a new cast tiki mug design at the artist alley. Thanks guys!

Therm is inspired by my favorite mug the "Suffering Bastard" or Mai Tai Joe

He's even got a little butt too!
Cheers, MP

[ This Message was edited by: mp 2013-05-22 01:35 ]

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 10:49 pm   Permalink

good for you. it takes a lot of effort and fortitude to do all that work yourself. (and pretty much for yourself.)

nice stuff man. PM me when you start selling.

CLAY ON WIT' YO' BAD SELF'!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-20 10:32 am   Permalink

Very cool MP. 5 HOURS POUR TIME!!! They must be almost solid!

I tried something new with a mold, Master Squid and Master Bowana said it was legit, it might help someone on their next mold. Instead of adding an extra mold piece to make the concave "foot" at the bottom of the mug I tried something new (or at least new to me). I just made a 2 piece mold with a flat bottom. After the piece was pulled from the mold and still soft, I gently pushed the clay up to make the foot. Seems to have worked well.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cap'n Pharaoh
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-24 08:09 am   Permalink

hope this is in an appropriate thread ...couldn't find a just glaze one.

Okay So I've dove in and have been doing some slip casting myself ..but the biggest problem I have is not with the casting but the... Glazing. I have a small kiln 10Amp 240 Volt that can regularly fire to 1060c or about cone 04. I cast using a comercial slip that fires cone 04
I have been using an underglaze and then a clear glaze that goes to cone 05. sometimes it's fine..but I seem to have a lot of issues with glaze shivering off .
Am I better off just glazing and not screwing around with the underglazes?

I have been using all commercial glazes and slips (not home mixed) from a company here in Australia called Keane ceramics.
Any tips would be appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Cap'n Pharaoh 2009-07-24 08:34 ]

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-24 4:30 pm   Permalink

I'm no expert and you may have already tried these but here's some suggestions:

Get some witness cones to be sure you are firing to the desired cone.

Be sure the bisqued ceramic is clean when you glaze it, no dust, oil, fingerprints etc. Same with the brushes.

It's possible that your underglaze and clear glaze are not compatible, especially if they are not the same brand.

Too thick of a layer of ungerglaze will cause crawling, try thinning the underglaze with water or using less coats.

Seems like the glazing is the most troublesome aspect of ceramics. I have been using mostly Duncan glazes with a few Maycos. The only problem I had was shivering when I mixed low-fire and high fire clays.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some more good ideas

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-24 4:37 pm   Permalink

I just read every word of this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed, I needed this! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-24 6:56 pm   Permalink

Just "discovered" this thread (there is SO MUCH cool stuff/info here on TC!) and what an inspiration! I don't know that I'll end up doing my own ceramics, but if/when I do, I'm keeping this thread bookmarked so the expert know-how will be a click away. Keep up the great work!
Mahalo!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Woodtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-22 01:08 am   Permalink

Looks like I'm 3 years late to this, but I'm just getting into making mugs and will be trying it out for myself soon. I've been making tiki's with sculpey and making molds for casting resin sculptures. Lots of fun, but I'm ready for the real deal now, a mug. This thread has been incredible, as well as some threads by Wendy Cevola. Thank you all so much for sharing!! So inspiring and some really great work on here!

View Profile of Woodtiki Send a personal message to Woodtiki  Email Woodtiki Goto the website of Woodtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation