FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Are you a musician / Do you play an instrument ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Are you a musician / Do you play an instrument ?
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-05 11:56 pm   Permalink

GROG played tuba, baritone and valve trombone in highschool. Toured Europe with a concert band when GROG was sixteen. Our first concert was in Carnegie Hall before we flew to Euope to start the month-long tour. GROG still have tuba mouthpiece, but haven't played a note since college, so probably wouldn't be any good in a band. Now GROG only play the radio, and GROG can barely get a good tune out of that.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-06 07:47 am   Permalink

Hey Grog, I played Baritone Horn in school too.

Great Minds.....oh nevermind.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 08:42 am   Permalink

attempt to play guitar. not much tiki style, but i do own a custom made Wosrite, based on a Mosrite Ventures model.

broke up the band I played in for 10 years to traverse on a shoe-string around South America (and carve Argentinian tikis)... also sold my flamed '71 Valiant coupe, collectible Harlem Globetrotters pinball, and a few guitars... God was I crazy???

anyway here's the link to my old band, Wiseacre
myspace - mix of upbeat ska, raucous rock n roll etc. GROG may like since theres HORNS!

there might be pics of us tiki style in my front yard with some of my tikis and bar - promo for a tiki gig I put on for our last CD launch. I put a thread on TC about it here

Virani can you teach me Theremin when I come over to your side of the world?? Would love to learn!!

Cheers.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 10:23 am   Permalink

I don't play a note, but my kid is 15 and is becoming a guitar nut. He started with violin, then piano, then when his fingers were big enough to press frets, he grabbed a guitar and will not let go.

He started on a Fender Sonoran acoustic, then bought this from a friend for 75 clams;

It's a Fender Strat, but we hot-rodded it with DiMarzio pickups, a nicer pickguard and oyster/jewel/chrome knobs. We call it the King Penguin.

And last night he just bought this with his own cash:

Its a spankin' new Gibson SG with the cherrywood 'worn finish'. Its so serious its kind of scary taking it out of the case. Looks like the Devil, sounds like an Angel. Don't have a name for it yet.

Sushiman, when you visiting da good old US of A????

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 3:13 pm   Permalink

" Sushiman, when you visiting da good old US of A???? "

Cammo .

Well , actually I was just in the USA at the end of March , on the Big Island of Hawaii . Was back twice in 2007 as well , after a 5 year hiatus . Why ?

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 4:30 pm   Permalink

Sushimanno -

My wife's family is from Kumamoto, you should come to Otto's Oasis sometime and DJ for him around the pool! Please!!!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-06 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-06 16:30, Cammo wrote:
Sushimanno -

My wife's family is from Kumamoto, you should come to Otto's Oasis sometime and DJ for him around the pool! Please!!!

Where in Kumamoto is your wife's family from ?

What is Otto's Oasis all about ?

DJ - moi ? ; )

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-06 08:42, harro wrote:
attempt to play guitar. not much tiki style, but i do own a custom made Wosrite, based on a Mosrite Ventures model.

broke up the band I played in for 10 years to traverse on a shoe-string around South America (and carve Argentinian tikis)... also sold my flamed '71 Valiant coupe, collectible Harlem Globetrotters pinball, and a few guitars... God was I crazy???

anyway here's the link to my old band, Wiseacre myspace - mix of upbeat ska, raucous rock n roll etc. GROG may like since theres HORNS!

there might be pics of us tiki style in my front yard with some of my tikis and bar - promo for a tiki gig I put on for our last CD launch. I put a thread on TC about it here

Virani can you teach me Theremin when I come over to your side of the world?? Would love to learn!!

Cheers.

harro you guys are kick ass! if only you guys werent from australia, our bands could have played a tiki themed ska show together

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 05:54 am   Permalink

"What is Otto's Oasis all about ?
DJ - moi ? ; ) "

Oui, DJ - toi!

Do a search on TC for the Oasis threads, it's a huge retro-tiki party held in San Diego. Lots of pictures have been posted of last year's event. He needs DJs. He always needs DJs. (Otto is a big vinyl collector.)

I think they're from a small town called Haginoh. (Haganoh?)

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 06:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-07 20:03, tikithomas08 wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-06 08:42, harro wrote:

anyway here's the link to my old band, Wiseacre myspace - mix of upbeat ska, raucous rock n roll etc. GROG may like since theres HORNS!

Cheers.

harro you guys are kick ass! if only you guys werent from australia, our bands could have played a tiki themed ska show together

thanks man. I checked out your band on myspace. cool stuff. you must like the aquabats? I saw em in NYC almost 10 years ago when I was travelling through there. funny bastards they were!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 3:36 pm   Permalink

Where is your wife fro⬠in Kumamoto ? I'm curious .

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 7:49 pm   Permalink

Sman - I think they're from a small town around there called Haginoh. (Haganoh?)

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 11:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-08 19:49, Cammo wrote:
Sman - I think they're from a small town around there called Haginoh. (Haganoh?)

Naver heard of either . Please ask your wife .

tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 6:56 pm   Permalink

thanks harro, yeah were big fans of the A bats. I know em all, ive done some graphic design work for them, and have been to over 20 aquabats shows, haha

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation