[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Travel Ľ Ľ Help needed in London
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Help needed in London
Flamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-17 01:48 am   Permalink

Aloha compadres. Iím heading to London for a seminar next week and would love some pointers on the tiki-to-do in London. I donít have too much of time but will try to squeeze in Trader Vicís and Mahiki. Is there anything else that is a must? And are there any good liquor stores with a steady supply of rum that you can recommend?

Thanks and mahalo!
Flamingoo Fred

View Profile of Flamingo Send a personal message to Flamingo  Goto the website of Flamingo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 03:49 am   Permalink

Trailer Happinees, Sugar Caneand South london Pacific are worth checking out if you have time.
Jerrys on Old Compton St is the best bet for Rum if it is still there, rumour has it , it was closing but I haven't been in along while.
Let us know when you are in town, might meet up for a couple of drinks.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 04:05 am   Permalink

Gerrys is still there on Old Compton Street. Sells plenty of rum, and surprisingly the WhiskeyExchange store on the same street sells a fair selection of rum.

Definitely try Trader Vic's and Mahiki. They are amazing.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 04:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-17 04:05, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Gerrys is still there on Old Compton Street. Sells plenty of rum, and surprisingly the WhiskeyExchange store on the same street sells a fair selection of rum.

Definitely try Trader Vic's and Mahiki. They are amazing.

Thanks for clarifying - I'm planning on stopping by Gerry's again to buy a few bottles of Pisang Ambon when in town in early May.

Tikiracer is coordinating a get together for my trip over - looking forward to meeting some of the UK tikiphiles - what FUN!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-17 04:53 am   Permalink

Great! Thanks! I found the site for Gerry's. It looks very nice.. and it looks like they will have a significant part of my pay check when Iím done.

The bars look spectacular. I would like to visit them all but I have to see how much I can twist the arms of my colleagues on this short trip. Iím slowly trying to win them over to the Tiki side of life.
Otherwise Iíll be back later for some serious exploration.

View Profile of Flamingo Send a personal message to Flamingo  Goto the website of Flamingo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-23 02:59 am   Permalink

Looks like the barhopping will be quite brief for me this time. Too bad but what do you do.

Is there any tiki/retro shopping locations that i shouldn't miss?

54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-23 05:40 am   Permalink

Have a lot of fun!

Liz

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-23 08:03 am   Permalink

Sweet! Thank you.

tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 08:13 am   Permalink

It's shaping up to be a get together on May 7th. Kick off at Mahiki early, then off to Trader Vic's for food, then onto one of the other Britiki joints [tbc]. I'll do a proper post later today. Hope you'll be around. pm me for more details.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiracer 2008-04-23 08:13 ]

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 2008-04-24 12:57 am   Permalink

Oh! And next door to Black Pearl http://www.blackpearlboutique.co.uk/
in Kingly Court (off Carnaby Street) is a new rockabilly barber/ladies hairdresser called 'It's Something Hell's' http://www.carnaby.co.uk/stores/stores_item.cfm?store_id=290&cat_id=3

Not exactly tiki or exotica but very cool!

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Flamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-24 05:23 am   Permalink

Well, I guess I have to confess to being a rockabilly so It's Something Hell's seems right up my ally. Thanks again!

Soon I'll be on my way.

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 05:23 am   Permalink

Damm that looks cool. Wish I had more hair!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 2008-04-24 09:01 am   Permalink

Self-confessed rockabilly, eh? Then you should check this out if you are here in London by Sunday, flamingo...

Two bands and three DJs - starts Sunday afternoon at 14.00 in Camden, London

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 01:06 am   Permalink

Bugger! I've already made plans for Sunday. And that looks brilliant. Grrrrr

Flamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-28 05:49 am   Permalink

I'd like to thank you all for all the great tips! Unfortunately I didn't get to go to any tiki bar this time around. I did pass by Gerry's and all the nice places at carnaby street. Just fantasic! I landed five bottles of rum (and two bottles liqueur) at Gerry's.

Thanks again! I'll be back and then I'll do all the tiki that come in my way.

Mahalo friends!

[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo 2008-04-28 05:53 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation