FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 4:42 pm   Permalink

Hi Kaiwaza, I’m just saying that “my experience” while it very well may not have been the norm, didn’t include painted tikis. The subject is “Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs” right?. So I think I wasn’t clear that that’s what I was speaking about. Also, I’m a little bit older than you and the “tiki” that I was originally exposed was much more including of authentic Polynesian culture and didn‘t include things like fezzes and painted tikis. We didn’t even call it tiki back then. I know that your discovery and experience of tikis was somewhat different. It’s all good darlin'. The fantasy part has always existed.

MrsHoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 9:15 pm   Permalink

Oh good, now that all the misunderstandings have been cleared up, let's get back to our scheduled program

Below are two examples of what has been mentioned here earlier, found in situ TODAY on a Tiki apartment expedition with fellow urban archeologist Zulu Magoo:

Here is an example of unsuccessfully trying to halt the decay of an idol, which has already shrunk halfway into the ground.

And this is clearly a case of the mistaken application of the "Indian totem" color concept.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 9:18 pm   Permalink

Wow bigbro, those last two are(were) really nice carvings...

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 11:05 am   Permalink

So what do you think of those poles, made by the great french carver Bonobo : link

Personnaly, I love those.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 1:27 pm   Permalink

May I recap:
Quote:

On 2008-04-17 20:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
NOTE": This thread shall be reserved for examples of classic mid-century Tikis having been painted over, and is NOT intended for the following:
B.) Contemporary artists' examples, be it graphic or sculptural.

It is my hope that the wrongness of the Tiki crimes of the past will inform the artists of today to become better acquainted with a sensible use of colors in their efforts to continue the great tradition of American Tiki culture.

..so please lets keep contempo examples out of this thread. But to answer your question, these are certainly much better than some of the recent Floridian examples posted on TC, mainly because they are monochrome, not clown faces, and they are based on classic Polynesian pop style. I still do not like the green and blue ones. For mugs or graphics sure, but not for carvings.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 2:17 pm   Permalink

I was thinking a little about this statement, and finally the coin dropped, it now makes total sense in the context of the time:
Quote:

On 2008-04-19 14:51, Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki wrote:
This in not my recollection of the Tiki that I experienced during the 60’s. We knew the difference between PoP Art and Tiki, and the two were rarely mixed. There was a keen interest in authenticity and the cultural background of Tiki. Painted tikis, which were extremely rare, were viewed as a commercialized abomination.

Even to me, just like Kaiwaza, it seemed a little too idealistic at first. But we actually tend to forget the following:

A.) Today we, me being in the first row, have realized and demonstrated that mid-century Tiki Style was UN-authentic (in comparison to real Polynesian art), and that we like it BECAUSE of that. And because of its OWN creativity and variety, we can view it as an art form in its own right. We judge it from today's informed and understanding perspective.

B.) HOWEVER, back then, the image projected by the Polynesian palaces that harbored these carvings was one of AUTHENTICITY! People BELIEVED! Carving demonstrations were always done with chisels, not with chain saws. Now if back then, the carvings would have been painted garishly, it would have overstretched that fine balance between proprietor and customer united in the unspoken agreement to be gently deceived! THIS is exactly what Ms Hoptiki was getting at. The majority of people took these carvings for authentic, and the loud colors would have destroyed that illusion.

This is why some of the California Tiki manufacturers looked down on Witco, because, back in the day, authenticity was the GOAL!
Only NOW do we (some of us) appreciate the guts and humor that Witco demonstrated, but it was unacceptable to many back then.

Now looking at the evolution of cultural consciousness, by the 70s it had become more commonly realized that the American Tikis were just copies, and so painting them seemed OK in a "why not, they are all in on the joke now" sort of a way. Yet TODAY, the naive starry-eyed romanticism of mid-century Tiki appears much cooler and desirable again than making them OVERTLY fake.

Actually, come to think of it, that's what really is a big part of my whole beef with that certain facet of the Tiki revival that is purely self-referentially based on cartoony big tooth Tikis. When current Tiki art contains no traces of the original Polynesian genius, OR of classic mid-century Tiki style, it lacks that intelligent effort of the artist to be an art forger. It is not an homage, has no sense of history, and is thus one-dimensional, un-amusing and falls flat for me.

Gee, thinking about this stuff is still fun! ]

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-22 18:49 ]

TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 3:47 pm   Permalink

This beauty was posted by Dustycajun over on the "Polynesian Murals and Dioramas" thread. Its from the Pacific Hut, with locations in Brockton and Burlington Mass:

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-22 11:05, virani wrote:
So what do you think of those poles, made by the great french carver Bonobo : link

Personnaly, I love those.

Personally, I like them, too. They're tonal - kinda like mugs. The Tiki Bob-esque one though isn't working for me.

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 4:22 pm   Permalink

I love the style of the tonal tikis. Just then they reminded me of these

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 4:39 pm   Permalink

Yes, very nice. But if we would want to discuss the use of color in TODAY'S Tiki art, we would end up with another highly subjective, totally all-over-the-place thread. That is WHY I tried to, and had high hopes for, keeping this particular thread limited to pictures of classic, vintage Tikis that have been defaced by loud paint jobs ....as a sort of clear and simple visual statement that a majority here would understand and could agree on.

Apparently, that is hard to do.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-22 16:40 ]

dibroc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 5:03 pm   Permalink

Ok I am not trying to show disrespect to bigbrotiki's thread, speak for anyone else, nor start up anything here. I find this thread interesting but I have not found anything to add as of yet. With that being said,
when some one starts a thread they hope it stays on track and many times we get side tracked by other things. Linked is just such a example . A user asked if anyone knew who made or where to get an item. Please note reply #5. The response had nothing to do with the question asked in the first place. We all get off the topic at times. It is easy to do.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28136&forum=5&5

View Profile of dibroc Send a personal message to dibroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 5:12 pm   Permalink

Here is a better picture of the Tiki paint job from the Pacific Hut in Mass. They only chose to paint the face and left the rest intact.

The sad part about this one is that everything else in the restaurant was left in it's original form without the garish colors.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-22 17:03, dibroc wrote:
Ok I am not trying to show disrespect to bigbrotiki's thread, speak for anyone else, nor start up anything here. I find this thread interesting but I have not found anything to add as of yet. With that being said,
when some one starts a thread they hope it stays on track and many times we get side tracked by other things. Linked is just such a example . A user asked if anyone knew who made or where to get an item. Please note reply #5. The response had nothing to do with the question asked in the first place. We all get off the topic at times. It is easy to do.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28136&forum=5&5

Here is the difference:

I specifically described in the very first post of this thread WHAT it was that this post was NOT about. After something being clearly spelled out like that, even I would not post something that would run counter to this request (if I ever did, I began my reply with an apology, to show that I was doing it for a reason).

The problem is that nowadays a lot of people read over posts HASTILY, and do not fully take in all that is said. That not only leads to misunderstandings (mea culpa here), but to simply posting things mistakenly. Holden didn't read the text, maybe Virani didn't either. So I reiterate. And I have gone over to type some key text words in ANNOYING CAPITALS , in the hopes that my text will be more fully assimilated.

I know I am prone to post what could be called "off topic" sometimes, but I feel that this board would become very dry and boring if all cross-referencing and contextualization with other subject matters that come to mind would be totally omitted. If I would have not used my ability to free associate subject matters in my books, they would have ended up as stodgy collectors books. Teakeys post is a great example of that: He saw those French Tikis and was reminded of Al's. Wonderful! ....IF I had not clearly stated that such a visual would be misplaced here.

Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 6:27 pm   Permalink

I sincerely apologize for my part in getting this thread off topic.

Please, do continue.

MrsHoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 6:39 pm   Permalink

But you didn't! Your post and the resulting discussion with Kaiwaza made me re-trace my steps, reconsider my reaction, and eventually led me to a new insight! Thank you!

It's those other hosers that are still fast asleep on their respective continents, yet unaware of what they have wrought here!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-22 18:53 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation