FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-20 20:20, Bora Boris wrote:
Even white paint can ruin a guy if its in the wrong places.

Looks like a Tiki Al Jolson

Probably his most well known persona from The Jazz Singer...

What he looked like without makeup...

I guess the act was really popular at the time. I don't think our brothas and sistas approved. Today Rev Sharpton could probably get anyone doing blackface act like that deported to Antarctica.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2008-05-21 11:46 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 6:40 pm   Permalink

I've got to add this one from the Scorpion Sports Bar in San Bernardino.

Here's a little history on the place.
Trader Island

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Looks like a Tiki Al Jolson

Probably his most well known persona from The Jazz Singer...

What he looked like without makeup...

I guess the act was really popular at the time. I don't think our brothas and sistas approved. Today Rev Sharpton could probably get anyone doing blackface act like that deported to Antarctica.

Al Jolson is as much a regretable tiki as is Marcel Marceau?

WTF??

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ratzaroony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-22 17:12, Dustycajun wrote:
Here is a better picture of the Tiki paint job from the Pacific Hut in Mass. They only chose to paint the face and left the rest intact.

Is this that same tiki?

It's currently up on eBay. Not my auction, but I saw it and remembered this thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330255460686

View Profile of Ratzaroony Send a personal message to Ratzaroony  Email Ratzaroony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 07:35 am   Permalink

Looks like a rescue project.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 07:50 am   Permalink

How cool. Great Tiki memory, Ratzaroony. I wonder what age that original postcard is from...I would say late 60s?:

That is unusually early for Tiki clown-painting. While it was a mistake then as it is now, it is authentic and should be kept that way. Funny, that seller doesn't even know where it came from.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ratzaroony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 08:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-29 07:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
That is unusually early for Tiki clown-painting. While it was a mistake then as it is now, it is authentic and should be kept that way.

Agreed. I'm going to try to win it, but if I don't, I hope the winner will not repaint it.

View Profile of Ratzaroony Send a personal message to Ratzaroony  Email Ratzaroony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kong-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-01 7:10 pm   Permalink

I had not been in SF since last year when I went by Tiki Bob today to pay my respect. I was a bit put off by the new, green color, which gives The Crepe House a more Irish Pub-look. I actually think i preferred the peach color.

On the other side of the street, The Owl Tree had reopened with a new, fancy mural.

View Profile of Kong-Tiki Send a personal message to Kong-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 7:19 pm   Permalink

These are from the Waikiki Lounge and Supper Club at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach, Fl.

Before (from Sabu's Postcard)

After (from Google)

Makes you feel kinda blue.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-09-01 19:20 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
builtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-01 8:33 pm   Permalink

wow is it true that there are gay tikis....poor 1970's the tikis were just trying to get into Studio 54, with the rest of the beautiful people...just because they had to paint themselves up to be timely doesn't make them Gay!!!!

View Profile of builtiki Send a personal message to builtiki  Email builtiki Goto the website of builtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-04 4:30 pm   Permalink

I'm sure this photo must be somewhere on T.C. already, but "HAND PAINTED by skilled artists in bright BARBARIC COLORS!" is great. This type of medalion's painting must have had some relationship to real Tikis being painted in BARBARIC COLORS. Considering the postage was 10 cents for Parcel Post, I guess this was way before the 1970's. Did these things inspire Tikis being painted, or did Tikis being painted inspire these things? Or were these just cheap kids jewelery and nothing else? (no insult to the cheap kids)

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-07 12:09 pm   Permalink

Tikis - and various Polynesian symbolic objects (masks, etc.) WERE often ritually painted with lime, clays, and other natural pigments. This is not to say they were in day-glo groovy colors, but the brown or weathered gray tikis we all know and love are products of just that - weathering and loss of color. It's akin to the Greek Revival and the scores of white marble buildings which were constructed in the last three centuries. By then, the real ancient Greek structures had lost all of their color (and they were a riot of color) to weathering, hence Greek Revival buildings are typically white - or white. Still, it looks odd to us, as we are used to the current state of things. If Washington D.C. were color-corrected to the original Roman and Greek color schemes, most would think the city had been turned into a huge bordello. (and no, that is not a political commentary...just an architectural one)

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-07 2:01 pm   Permalink

True about Greek sculpture, and pre-Colombian architecture, too. But in terms of Tikis, more often in Melanesia, less in Polynesia.

Anyway, as far as Tiki culture is concerned, not possible historic authenticity matters, but the IMPRESSION of what was seen as "primitive art", and the concepts it represented in the 20th Century:

To the moderns: The birth of art, the creative spirit of unspoiled man, the freedom from naturalistic form...
To the public: Dark rituals, strange customs, taboo secrets --the opposite of the daily humdrum of the man in the gray flannel suit...

All this was represented by ancient looking, simple but elegant, scary but funny, monochromatic figurines seen in the Oceanic Art exhibitions and books of the mid-century. And this is the way 1950s and 60s artisans re-created them for the modern Tiki temples of that time.

Tikis, as they were found by the explorers and missionaries, are dark and brooding, not happy and flashy, and this contrast to modernity was -for a brief time- what inspired American Tiki entrepreneurs and artists. Later, they became scared of their own gutsiness and began to update them with glossy colors, destroying the effect of aged, archaic relics.

That is why paint jobs on Tikis are most regrettable, no two ways about it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 09:23 am   Permalink

Bumping this for posterity. It's a damn fine thread.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-18 4:30 pm   Permalink

This on falls under the category of "Most regrettable Tiki Bar Attempts"! Brought to you in the 1970's during the free fall of Tiki De-evolution, the Bali Hai Room at the Shantung Restaurant in Dover, NJ.

The room decor, stunning it its own right.

Several regrettable painted Tikis.

They did use Tiki mugs at least.

Description from the back of the postcard.

Where's Bamboo Ben when you need him? (in Hawaii of course)

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation