[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Demerara replacement
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Demerara replacement
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 4:01 pm   Permalink

I am not one to take shortcuts(unless I'm feeling really lazy). I myself have come to the realization of what happens what you use proper ingredients in a drink. Just recently I finally got my hands on some Martinique rum, and finally I realized what a real Mai Tai tastes like, not one using any old rum you have lying around. I admit that the Martinique rum added something that was indescribable, and there's literally no other rum that one could subtitute for it and get the same effect.

However, I can't find demerara rum. Nowhere. Already I'm plagued with the state-run Virginia liquor stores that carry next to nothing, and I've scouted several DC liquor stores with the aforementioned Martinique rum and perhaps a Venezuelan one here or there being the most exotic thing I can find.

I'm asking you tikiphiles to perform sacriledge and tell me a good rum (or combo of rums) that can get anywhere near mimicking a demerara. And before you DC metro-area Marylanders tell me a great shop where I can find demerara, please know that I don't own a car and it's really not an option for me.

Too many recipes in the Grog Log and others contain demerara and I have no clue if I'm hitting the mark with my poser varieties. Could someone help me out?

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-04-18 7:12 pm   Permalink

Check this out:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10681&forum=10

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 04:55 am   Permalink

That thread reinforces the "there is no substitute" position, which I fully respect, but I'm trying to force out a proposed substitute.

If I'm making a Navy Grog and don't have demerara, what should I use instead until I eventually find some? Perhaps someone could even induldge me and describe what demerara tastes like? I've literally never had it.

Any of that would be a huge help.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 07:04 am   Permalink

Well.....

You really can't substitute anything for the Demerera except another Demerera. Nothing else tastes quite like it.

As to suggestions you can try instead of the elusive Demerera....

Try using your newfound Martinique with a well aged dark jamaican. It doesn't taste the same, but still tastes yummy.

Or, take a well aged dark rum (Jamaican, Barbados, pick an island and exeriment) and pair it with a very young rum from the same brand/island. The two should balance out each other and give you the interest in taste similar but not quite like a Demerera.

And, have you tried any of the on-line resources. Lemon Hart is still a bit spotty in its availability, but ElDorado is usually plentiful and can be had on the cheap. Many people love the 12 year, I love the 15 year. The Gold is pretty good too, skip the white because it sucks.

Good luck, and take notes of your experimenting. Let us know what you come up with.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2008-04-19 07:11 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 1:46 pm   Permalink

Man, I just don't understand the Martinique infatuation. In my opinion, a mai tai made with 2 oz. Appleton's Extra is superior to one made with a blend of Jamaican and Martinique rums. But, I've only played around with St. James Extra Old. I understand that there's quite a bit of difference between the extra old and the Hors d'Age.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-04-19 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-19 13:46, BrickHorn wrote:
Man, I just don't understand the Martinique infatuation. In my opinion, a mai tai made with 2 oz. Appleton's Extra is superior to one made with a blend of Jamaican and Martinique rums.

Have you tried the Hors d'Age?

Quote:

... I've only played around with St. James Extra Old.

Hmmm, okay. We're you aware that the Hors d'Age is quite better tasting than the Extra Old?

Quote:

... I understand that there's quite a bit of difference between the extra old and the Hors d'Age.

Alright, based on our discussion, I think you already know what the next step is.

Here's a good recipe to use:
http://www.beachbumberry.com/100dollarmaitai/

Maybe then you'll understand the infatuation... or not.

Either way, you'll have fun trying.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-04-19 2:09 pm   Permalink

Hey! Stop discussing Mai Tais. DJ HawaiianShirt was politely asking about Demerara Rum and possible substitutions. Get back on track.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-04-19 2:37 pm   Permalink

Okay, whatever you say. Sorry about that.

Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-19 07:04, Chip and Andy wrote:
take a well aged dark rum (Jamaican, Barbados, pick an island and exeriment) and pair it with a very young rum from the same brand/island. The two should balance out each other and give you the interest in taste similar but not quite like a Demerera.

I agree with Chip and Andy, this seems to be the best thing to do if you cannot find any demerara rum which really is not possible to sub with anything really..

Is there not any online source you can use?

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-19 9:43 pm   Permalink

Hiya DJ -
I fully respect the car-less method of life in DC. That being said, there are places that are Metro-accessible that it can be found at...
Lemon Hart Demerara is usually available at...
--the Montgomery County Liquor Store in Silver Spring which is accessible from the red line, with a short walk - if you've been to SS in the last few years it is barely 2 blocks from Borders. You'll pay a lot less in MoCo's Silver Spring store:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/DLC/Retail/store_locations.cfm

--and also at Central Liquor on F Street in Chinatown near the Spy Museum - accessible from Gallery Place or Metro Center stops on Metro. Their price was higher than I've paid in Maryland, but the premium may be worth it for the proximity:
http://www.centralliquors.com

--If those fail you or are too far to travel, try calling Schneider's of Capitol Hill: http://www.cellar.com/
I dealt with a gent here awhile back who procured me a slew of various Fee's syrups and limited edition bitters with a very quick turnaround. VERY customer oriented as far as their service. I highly recommend them, although I'm not up on their pricing. If they *don't* carry it, they can likely order it.

If you really want to try it - it can be found! Good luck!
~Rupe

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 2008-04-19 21:43 ]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 05:23 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. Both the demerara substitution idea and the good liquor store locations help. I'm going to check out that Chinatown locale. I've already checked a Chinatown store, but I don't think it was that one.

Thanks all.

The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-21 08:12 am   Permalink

I have not bought any for a while, but I used to get Lemon Hart Demerara 80 and 151 at the Montgomery County Liquor Kingsview store (westernmost store in the county), and I've seen it at other stores. The Montgomery County stores are often a crap shoot. They carry something for a long time, then they can't get any for a long time. Their excuse is always that, no matter what they order, they are at the mercy of what the warehouse sends them.

Anyway,
here is the MC Liquor store locator page. Mouse over a store on the map and it will give you the address and phone number. I have had to call several stores sometimes to find out who's hording the W&N White Overproof or the AE Extra. You'll probably find a few that have Lemon Hart in stock.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 08:48 am   Permalink

Also check this thread for rum sources. I have been getting my demerara mail order for a while, or, by mule over the state line. I stock up when I get low and hope it keeps me till I can find it again. Don't do without and substitute, find some and order it!

And, btw, I use Royal Amber in my Mai Tai. I actually prefer it to the aged St. James...

[ This Message was edited by: swanky 2008-04-21 14:01 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-21 12:35 pm   Permalink

Gnomon, W&N White Overproof is actually one of the rarer brands that I can consistently find in DC stores. I doubt that DC is the most convenient thing for you, though...

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 2:52 pm   Permalink

I said it earlier, but it bears repeating.....

Lemon Hart is difficult to find these days, at least in my neck of the woods. El Dorado is easier to find, again at least for me it is.

Find one of these two and make it a staple in your bar.

Read this showdown between the two and you will see what I mean.

And maybe we can get Scottes or the Minister of Rum to add a bit to the discussion.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation