FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Demerara replacement
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Demerara replacement
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote from the article: You need Demerara in your bar, no matter what brand you can find.

I couldn`t agree more.

Another Demerara i would recommend if you can find it is Banks XM.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-21 12:35, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Gnomon, W&N White Overproof is actually one of the rarer brands that I can consistently find in DC stores. I doubt that DC is the most convenient thing for you, though...

Which stores out of curiosity? I'm in pretty good shape now as far as W&N WO is concerned. There's an MC store not far away that has a lot and it seems like I'm the only one who buys it. I'm periodically in the AU/Tenely area.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:14 am   Permalink

Ones that come to my mind are located on G Street NW between 17th & 18th, right near the White House, and the other is Washington Liquor, the one I go to most often, which is on 12 St and F St NW, between the Metro Center and Federal Triangle Metro Stations.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 6:16 pm   Permalink

How did it go DJ? Did you score the six bottles?

Erik the Red

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 06:23 am   Permalink

I didn't buy six, Erik, I just got one. That place is pretty impressive. I'm sure it'll have a steady supply.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marlo

Posted: 2008-04-24 5:09 pm   Permalink

On a related note would it be considered sacreligious to replace 151 demerara with say a 12yr old El Dorado demerara? I'm thinking of mixing a 1934 Zombie but the complete unavailability of 151 demerera in Canada is frustrating to say the least.

View Profile of Marlo Send a personal message to Marlo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 6:00 pm   Permalink

The El Dorado would probably keep the taste consistent albeit with a lower octane. I would be more inclined to do that rather than use a different 151.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 05:14 am   Permalink

Thanks to the people on this board, I was helped and lucky enough to find some demerara. If you are not one that can find it, then I would echo the statement that a suitable replacement could be made with Martinique rum and perhaps a splash of some dark rum. I don't really care if people say that you can't replace it. Sometimes it just isn't around. Tiki fans shouldn't have to forego making drinks because they don't have some of the more exotic ingredients.

If it tastes good and makes you woozy, don't let anyone tell you what you shouldn't be doing.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 05:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 05:14, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Thanks to the people on this board, I was helped and lucky enough to find some demerara. If you are not one that can find it, then I would echo the statement that a suitable replacement could be made with Martinique rum and perhaps a splash of some dark rum. I don't really care if people say that you can't replace it. Sometimes it just isn't around. Tiki fans shouldn't have to forego making drinks because they don't have some of the more exotic ingredients.

If it tastes good and makes you woozy, don't let anyone tell you what you shouldn't be doing.

Here here! I have made Soo many of the recipes with the wrong rums... I don't have Louisiana rum, or some others. Though it may keep me from having the drink as created, it certainly gives me a good idea if it is worth trying when I do have that rum. Full speed ahead!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-26 10:32 pm   Permalink

From a recent interview with Beachbum Berry on a European blog:

http://bastardosaffrin.blogspot.com/2008/03/aloha-ladies-and-gentleman-tonight-we.html

In Europe we have the eternal problem that we can't find certain ingredients. We can home-brew Falernum, Pimento, and other mixers, but we can't distill Demerara 151. In this blog we have discussed about finding a solution for the lack of this primary ingredient in certain drinks. Can you tell what do you would do in our situation?

"This is a big problem for Americans too. Outside of the northeast states and the west coast, it's very difficult to find Demerara 151. The tragedy is, there is NO substitute for that rum.

"But I have had limited success with one kind of recipe. If a recipe calls for both gold Puerto Rican rum and Demerara 151, I've found that sometimes you can approximate the same body and flavor by substituting dark Jamaican rum and Bacardi 151. (Try this in a Zombie or Coffee Grog. Not perfect, but not bad either.)"

FYI, if anyone in South Florida is looking for Lemon Hart 151, I can point you to a store that I talked into stocking it. Just let me know. They also stock all the varities of El Dorado's Demerara plus they still have bottles of the 5-year-old Cruzan Estate Diamond gold that recently was taken off the market.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahiki

Posted: 2008-07-31 8:53 pm   Permalink

For those in the Washington DC area, one alternative is to make a road trip to Annapolis. I have been ordering El Dorado 12 and 15 year Demerara's from Bay Ridge Wine and Spirits (410) 268-1961. They just recently started stocking the 15 year. It saves shipping.

View Profile of Tahiki Send a personal message to Tahiki  Email Tahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 07:13 am   Permalink

I just went back to Central Liquor yesterday.

Eegads, what a store! Most of their stock is stuff not findable in the entire Metro area. I found Rhum Agricole there, and Maraschino liquer.

I took a second look at their Demerara. They have Lemon Hart and sometimes Lemon Hart 151. If I'm not mistaken, they also had El Dorado 15y and 21y. Unfortunately those are beyond me both in price and in quality of what I want to use right now.

Viva Central Liquor.

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 12:44 pm   Permalink

Glad to see you've met with some success in the Demerarra department DJ!

Here's a recent adventure I had related to this topic:

http://web.mac.com/timmayer/iWeb/Site/Blog/Blog.html

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-07 7:05 pm   Permalink

I've been making more drinks lately that called for 151 Demerara, and panicked when I saw the bottle was getting low. I've never been able to find it in Oregon, but luckily there's a plentiful amount right now around Washington state liquor stores for $27 a bottle.

The WA state website is very helpful. Start with a search here for Lemon Hart
http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp, then click on "Find Store." That'll show you who has it in stock, along with address and phone # to check that it's still in stock.

Surprisingly, Washington doesn't have any of the "regular" Lemon Hart, but I see it regularly here in Oregon.

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Balls 2008-08-07 19:06 ]

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-26 22:32, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
From a recent interview with Beachbum Berry on a European blog:

http://bastardosaffrin.blogspot.com/2008/03/aloha-ladies-and-gentleman-tonight-we.html

In Europe we have the eternal problem that we can't find certain ingredients. We can home-brew Falernum, Pimento, and other mixers, but we can't distill Demerara 151. In this blog we have discussed about finding a solution for the lack of this primary ingredient in certain drinks. Can you tell what do you would do in our situation?

"This is a big problem for Americans too. Outside of the northeast states and the west coast, it's very difficult to find Demerara 151. The tragedy is, there is NO substitute for that rum.

"But I have had limited success with one kind of recipe. If a recipe calls for both gold Puerto Rican rum and Demerara 151, I've found that sometimes you can approximate the same body and flavor by substituting dark Jamaican rum and Bacardi 151. (Try this in a Zombie or Coffee Grog. Not perfect, but not bad either.)"

FYI, if anyone in South Florida is looking for Lemon Hart 151, I can point you to a store that I talked into stocking it. Just let me know. They also stock all the varities of El Dorado's Demerara plus they still have bottles of the 5-year-old Cruzan Estate Diamond gold that recently was taken off the market.

Hm. I've always just substituted an equal amount of Lemon Hart 80-proof in any recipe that calls for 151-proof Demerara, reasoning that while the drink may be less potent it will at least have approximately the correct flavor. Is the difference that noticeable?

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation