FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Demerara replacement
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Demerara replacement
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:54 am   Permalink

FYI, the recent drought of Lemon Hart is over. There are several online stores with both 151 and regular in stock so you can order that way, if your state allows. If your state does not allow, work on finding someone in a state that does who is heading your way and get it shipped to them. I have always been able to find a friend or relative to help me out on this.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 8:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-08 08:33, Austin_Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-07-26 22:32, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
From a recent interview with Beachbum Berry on a European blog:

http://bastardosaffrin.blogspot.com/2008/03/aloha-ladies-and-gentleman-tonight-we.html

In Europe we have the eternal problem that we can't find certain ingredients. We can home-brew Falernum, Pimento, and other mixers, but we can't distill Demerara 151. In this blog we have discussed about finding a solution for the lack of this primary ingredient in certain drinks. Can you tell what do you would do in our situation?

"This is a big problem for Americans too. Outside of the northeast states and the west coast, it's very difficult to find Demerara 151. The tragedy is, there is NO substitute for that rum.

"But I have had limited success with one kind of recipe. If a recipe calls for both gold Puerto Rican rum and Demerara 151, I've found that sometimes you can approximate the same body and flavor by substituting dark Jamaican rum and Bacardi 151. (Try this in a Zombie or Coffee Grog. Not perfect, but not bad either.)"

FYI, if anyone in South Florida is looking for Lemon Hart 151, I can point you to a store that I talked into stocking it. Just let me know. They also stock all the varities of El Dorado's Demerara plus they still have bottles of the 5-year-old Cruzan Estate Diamond gold that recently was taken off the market.

Hm. I've always just substituted an equal amount of Lemon Hart 80-proof in any recipe that calls for 151-proof Demerara, reasoning that while the drink may be less potent it will at least have approximately the correct flavor. Is the difference that noticeable?

I believe it is noticeable. There is a bite to the 151 that the 80 does not have. A bite, a kick, what have you. If you try to make a Zombie without the 151, it will taste good, but it won't have that Zombie Punch! It is a distinct flavor that will be missing. Without it, you can still have a good drink. At a New England event last year, the Bum was able to pull off a huge batch of Zombies without the 151, but while it was a great drink with a balanced flavor, it did lack the kick from the 151.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 08:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-08 08:54, Swanky wrote:
FYI, the recent drought of Lemon Hart is over.....

Swanky,

Is this true for normal retailers as well? Or just through Internet retailers? What has changed so that Lemon Hart is more readily available? I've been searching every liquor store that I come across in Manhattan, and only last week, I did spot a dusty bottle of Lemon Hart 80. But it was priced at a whopping $33.99!!!! I was wondering if it was because the store owner knew that he had the last bottle of Lemon Hart on sale or something.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 09:41 am   Permalink

I don't know about non-online retailers. I would assume the normal distribution is the same, but, perhaps it has changed and your local stores need to find a new source. All I know is I can get it again and that's a good thing.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-14 10:19 am   Permalink

What do you folks think about Pusser's Blue Label? Decent substitute? I'm not entirely sure of the blend they use, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least part Demerara...

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-20 09:44 am   Permalink

Seems people are still trying to find alternatives/replacements/different ideas for Demerara Rums.

Who has found what? What tastes better than what? Are you mixing other rums? Or trying different labels from the same rum producing region?

Share!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-20 9:29 pm   Permalink

Well, the LH151 is still rare... but if you're just talking regular demerara, as in 80 proof... I gotta tell you, I got me a bottle of the 12 yr El Dorado demerara, and I doubt I'll go back to the LH80 when (if) it comes back on the US market.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 12:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-20 21:29, CucamongaChango wrote:
Well, the LH151 is still rare... but if you're just talking regular demerara, as in 80 proof... I gotta tell you, I got me a bottle of the 12 yr El Dorado demerara, and I doubt I'll go back to the LH80 when (if) it comes back on the US market.

That's interesting to hear. Unfortunately i've never had the chance to try LH80 but I can get the El Dorado 12y.o. The problem is it costs $100AUS. The (only) place that sells it also has what he calls El Dorado dark and that is $50AUS. Can anyone say how that compares, not just to the 12y.o. but also to the LH80? What's the average price these two costs you guys out of curiosity?

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2010-12-21 01:02 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 08:34 am   Permalink

Well, you're not going to like this, but El Dorado 12 year costs about $25-$26 U.S. The 15 year goes for about $35, and the 5 year for about $16.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 2:29 pm   Permalink

That sucks rather large testicles.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-21 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 14:29, swizzle wrote:

You rang?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 14:55, rugbymatt wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-12-21 14:29, swizzle wrote:

You rang?

Maybe. Is that for the sucking or the large testicles?

rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 00:56, swizzle wrote:
Unfortunately i've never had the chance to try LH80 but I can get the El Dorado 12y.o. The problem is it costs $100AUS. The (only) place that sells it also has what he calls El Dorado dark and that is $50AUS. Can anyone say how that compares, not just to the 12y.o. but also to the LH80? What's the average price these two costs you guys out of curiosity?

I think the El Dorado Superior Dark Rum compares well to the Lemon Hart 80. The El Dorado 12 is even better but for the price ($10-20US per bottle) I would mix with the Dark. Save the 12 for sipping.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-21 9:41 pm   Permalink

Another hint where any demerara rum is hard to get is to make demerara simple syrup and use it along with another rum to approximate the unique demerara flavor.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 11:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 19:37, rev_thumper wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-12-21 00:56, swizzle wrote:
Unfortunately i've never had the chance to try LH80 but I can get the El Dorado 12y.o. The problem is it costs $100AUS. The (only) place that sells it also has what he calls El Dorado dark and that is $50AUS. Can anyone say how that compares, not just to the 12y.o. but also to the LH80? What's the average price these two costs you guys out of curiosity?

I think the El Dorado Superior Dark Rum compares well to the Lemon Hart 80. The El Dorado 12 is even better but for the price ($10-20US per bottle) I would mix with the Dark. Save the 12 for sipping.

And an excellent sipper it is.
Loves it, I does.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation