Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Recommendations on Tak
Recommendations on Tak
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

I'm widening my musical knowledge thanks to TC. I heard a really nice exotica piece by Tak Shindo on a podcast recently and thought I was time to get to know him better.

What Tak albums can you recommend as a starter.

Tks

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 6:40 pm   Permalink

I suspect that you heard "Bali Hai" on the podcast. I have "Mganga"
and I think it's very cool. Worth tracking down but I'm not sure where
you would find any of his stuff.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-22 7:16 pm   Permalink

There are a couple of items on iTunes (including Bali Hai), which is actually on an Ultra Lounge album.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-22 8:19 pm   Permalink

I'll talk to my daughter about the iTunes thingy, and I'll have another look at my Ultra Lounge stuff.

No seminal re-issues by this guy then?

Thanks again

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 03:39 am   Permalink

No reissues that I am aware of. Tak Shindo could definitely use a compilation CD.

Here is some info from a previous thread..............

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24810&forum=11&hilite=tak%20shindo

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 01:59 am   Permalink

Mganga! was reissued on CD together with Les Baxter's African Jazz. There's a copy on eBay right now.

However, I understand that this CD is a bootleg and that the sound quality is none too good, i.e. it sounds like an amateurish vinyl rip, so I can't really recommend it.

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 09:00 am   Permalink

This is a definite bootleg. I have not heard it so I am not sure what the sound quality is like. You're better off looking for the vinyl. Both of those albums pop up pretty frequently.

I do like the Betty Page picture though!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation