FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hali Kalani, Whittier, CA (apartments)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hali Kalani, Whittier, CA (apartments)
Grumbler

Posted: 2008-04-24 1:26 pm   Permalink

Name:Hali Kalani
Type:apartments
Street:10041 Scott Ave
City:Whittier
State:CA
Zip:90603
Phone:(562) 693-0935

Description:
A two story stucco suburban L.A. apartment house with a Tiki flair.

[ This Message was edited by: Grumbler 2008-04-24 13:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Grumbler 2008-04-24 13:28 ]

View Profile of Grumbler Send a personal message to Grumbler  Email Grumbler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grumbler

Posted: 2008-04-24 1:47 pm   Permalink

I haven't been by the Hali Kalani since 2002 so I don't know if they are still operational. Here are some pics I took that summer.

The entrance is (was?) really inviting:

The carports are somewhat less exotic than the entrance. The lava rock wall is pretty cool. Or maybe that's accumulated smog soot.

The neighborhood exudes a tropical ambiance, don't you think?

A tiny bit of Waikiki, right there in Whittier. You can listen to the gentle clanging of the steel safety gate while sipping your MaiTai:

[ This Message was edited by: Grumbler 2008-04-24 16:57 ]

View Profile of Grumbler Send a personal message to Grumbler  Email Grumbler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 1:55 pm   Permalink

Dang! Zulu Magoo, did you know about this one? That outrigger beam on the A-frame is cool, but the pool shack has the wildest outrigger extensions I have ever seen! Those pool fences be damned.

The pics are from 2002? Can somebody go by and check if its still like that?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The pics are from 2002? Can somebody go by and check if its still like that?

Yes.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 2:27 pm   Permalink

My grandparents lived about 3 blocks from this complex on Carnell St., so I probably passed by it a couple-hundred times on my way to the Whitwood Mall back in the Sixties and Seventies. Can't say that I remember it real well. My aunt and uncle still live in that area, so I'll have to cruise by it next time I visit.

If you check the street-level view of that address on Google Maps, you can see it clearly. Looks like it's still intact.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 3:07 pm   Permalink

This place is new to me. Have never seen those pool shack outriggers either, very cool.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 3:12 pm   Permalink

It's not far from Oceanic Arts, would make a easy side trip to visit.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grumbler

Posted: 2008-04-24 4:21 pm   Permalink

I grew up in the 50's/60's suburbs of eastern L.A. county. In those years I remember seeing many of these kinds of apartments, especially in the (then) newer areas.

My recollection is that the area bounded by the cities of La Mirada, Cypress, Westminster, Anaheim and Fullerton had a number of these places.

I believe that someone with spare gas money and a keen eye could find a few. Unfortunately I live far away and can't volunteer for that. But if I am ever back in that area I'll see if I can locate any more survivors.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 5:49 pm   Permalink

Grumbler,

Excellent find.

Tiki Kate,

Let us know what's up.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 6:18 pm   Permalink

Grumbler, meet Mr. Zulu Magoo, Tiki Apartment archeologist extraordinaire. He lives in Denver and has found more Tiki settlements in the L.A. basin than any of us....I probably come in second. We sort of believed to know of most of them, but as you just have proven, there is always one that slips by!

We both just went on a Apt expedition to Costa Mesa and Long Beach when Zulu was in town Monday, I will post pics of the mixed results later.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grumbler

Posted: 2008-04-24 7:30 pm   Permalink

I am delighted at the positive responses you all have given my posting.

On trips I carry a digital camerea and take pictures of a variety of things. If it evokes nostalgia, or if it is an interesting thing that I am sure will never be made again, I'll probably take a picture of it.

For example, there is a sign at an old skating ring very close to Oceanic Arts with a skater girl on it that I like, and a really cool art deco elementary school hidden away in uptown Whittier. I like old neon signs too.

When I took the pics of the Hali Kalani I wondered if there was anybody else who would even be interested. So glad there is.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 8:17 pm   Permalink

Interested? Hell, we COLLECT these buildings!

...and keep on photographing old signs and architecture, your shots might end up being the only evidence of something.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-24 20:18 ]

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 04:03 am   Permalink

"there is a sign at an old skating ring very close to Oceanic Arts"

Sure is. I roller-boogied and Hokey-Pokey'd away many a Friday night there in my misspent youth.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 08:46 am   Permalink

The apartments are still there in these photos from Live Search Maps which are pretty current. The structure by the pool is also still there.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grumbler

Posted: 2008-04-25 09:13 am   Permalink

If someone makes a special trip over to the Hali Kalani or Oceanic Arts and is interested in finding more Tiki-inpired apartments, there is an area nearby that might have some. I emphasize *might*.

The uptown area near Whittier College bounded by Hadley St, Pickering Ave, Painter Ave and Whittier Blvd has a number of smaller apartment buildings of the right era. The area east of Painter Ave between the college and La Cuarta St might be worth a look.

Also, if I were looking I would drive the major streets south of town bounded by Washington Blvd, Whittier Blvd, Beach Blvd, I-5 (Santa Ana Fwy), and Norwalk Blvd. Almost all of that is 50's and 60' construction.

Good luck!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation