FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hali Kalani, Whittier, CA (apartments)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hali Kalani, Whittier, CA (apartments)
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 11:07 am   Permalink

I lived in that area by the college for several years, Grumbler, and I can recall only one island-themed apartment complex, which was right along Greenleaf, near Beverly Blvd., IIRC.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grumbler

Posted: 2008-04-25 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 11:07, MrBaliHai wrote:
I lived in that area by the college for several years, Grumbler, and I can recall only one island-themed apartment complex, which was right along Greenleaf, near Beverly Blvd., IIRC.

You could be right about that. Most of those places uptown are pretty small and a lot of remodeling has been done over the years. But Whittier is such a rich trove of diverse styles you never know what you'll find.

For example, the big art deco inspired white building on the southeast corner of Hadley and Hoover (see it with Google Streetview) was a wonderful ice cream parlor when I was a kid, juke box and all. I think it was an ice house too, back in the day.

But regarding island architecture, I think the area south of town is a better area to look; the era is right, it's kind of run-down, lots of apartments, and it looks pretty much the same as it has for decades.

View Profile of Grumbler Send a personal message to Grumbler  Email Grumbler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:
"there is a sign at an old skating ring very close to Oceanic Arts"

Quote:
Sure is. I roller-boogied and Hokey-Pokey'd away many a Friday night there in my misspent youth.

That skating rink was Skateland. I used to go there as a kid & played roller hockey there for a couple of years. Unfortunately it is now gone. It had been slowly dying & driving by one day i noticed it was completely gone. All that remained was the concrete foundation.

As far as the Hali Kalani apartments go, they are still there. I drive by them just about everyday on my way to work. As far as I remember the front it still the same, but i haven't been into the complex to see the pool area.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-27 11:01 pm   Permalink

I stopped by today and took some pictures. It's still delightfully A-framy and outriggery. Not quite as bold and lush as the first pictures posted though.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 10:38 am   Permalink

On a recent urban archeology expedition to Whittier I finally swung by the Hali Kalani, which had been on my list ever since the initial post had showed me THIS incredible rec room:

These must be the most outrageous, over the top "outrigger" beams ever on a Tiki building! (here partially obscured by pool fence) I mean Tiki-Googie if there ever was any! So totally out of proportion, I loved the nonsensicalness of them. Undoubtedly, the architect had slipped these design features by the developer/client, because they were REALLY BIG, and simply just in the way. I planned to explore them photographically, and find the right angles to emphasize the wonkyness of these wooden protrusions, to ad them to the unique vocabulary of Tiki style:

I was happy to find the A-frame and the lava walls outside still in good shape...

...and though the main A-frame front and back outrigger beams had been lopped of, the side gables still showed the elegant design they must have had:

But as I entered the courtyard, my worst fears were realized:

Gone were the man-high wings that once made these lava rock wedges fly, forever having eluded photographic documentation of their greatness! Sob, sniff!!!

My only consolation was that, though Grumbler had posted the pic in spring 2008, his photo was from 6 years earlier:

Quote:

On 2008-04-24 13:47, Grumbler wrote:
I haven't been by the Hali Kalani since 2002 so I don't know if they are still operational. Here are some pics I took that summer.

...and that after interviewing some natives that had been at the village for four years and had never seen the rec room WITH the wings, I realized I never had had a chance to document them: They must have been lopped off way before 2008. Still, another great piece of Poly pop lost to time....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation