FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Beachcomber in Malibu, now open.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Beachcomber in Malibu, now open.
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 09:50 am   Permalink

Well, there was rumors that it was going to be a DON the Beachcomber, but, it's snot.

No tiki to speak of, but there is a Thatched hut bar on the deck.

http://thebeachcombercafe.com/

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 10:17 am   Permalink

Do any of you old farts remember The Beachcomber at Crystal Cove? (sister website)
It is still there, but not like it use to be.
One of the original "beach bums" hideout.
Ben, I'm sure you have been there.

It is still worth a visit.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 11:00 pm   Permalink

I was there a few weeks ago, I think it was the first day they were open. The bar is called Malibu Beach Club and it is to one side of the pier and the restaurant is called the Beachcomber and is on the other side (the old Alice's Restaurant). The Restaurant is not open yet, and when open will not have a bar in it. You need to go to the other side for the bar. They have some tropical drinks on their menu. This place is not tiki at all but is very nice with a nice ocean view, the bartender Jim, was a nice guy and made the drinks just as we asked. There was a TV screen in the middle of the bar and it was showing old home movies of Malibu Pier and the beach front homes from the 50's. I will go back again.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 07:28 am   Permalink

Hmmmmm....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
isotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-26 4:59 pm   Permalink

Last weekend after the Tiki Farm parking lot sale I detoured here for a late lunch on our way home. The food and drinks were great and the cocktails were served in tiki mugs. I viewed to Beachcomber's web site and printed out a map. Thinking....... it was open. The Malibu Beach Club was very comfortable and provides blankets and heaters. Parking rate is $10.00 paid in advance. The restaurant validates 1/2 $5.00. The day we were there the nice lot attendent just let us park for free since we told him we were eating at the Beachcomber.

View Profile of isotiki Send a personal message to isotiki  Email isotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 5:43 pm   Permalink

Okay, I've been pulled in on a "consulting" level on this project, having met with the owner multiple times over the last few months. I'm not sure what I am or am not at liberty to say but let me just suffice it to say that everybody here will be very happy with what will be developing at the Beachcomber in Malibu.

You all know this is the old Alice's Restaurant? The inspiration for Mr. Arlo Guthrie.

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 7:14 pm   Permalink

Good News Makedmug...

The fact that you're consulting can only mean that, if nothing else, they got a great coach....hopefully they will take the advice.

It would be nice to have another Tiki establishment here in LA...we don't have too many.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 7:53 pm   Permalink

It will be good to have tiki return to this area. Of course, the Malibu pier is very close to the Malibu Beach Inn, which stands on the site of the old Tonga Lei/Don the Beachcomber. I have no illusions that the new Beachcomber is going to be anything like the old one, but it will be nice to go back to the beach for a decent cocktail with any kind of tiki vibe.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 10:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 10:17, Unga Bunga wrote:
Do any of you old farts remember...

Excuse me? I resemble that remark...

Some peoples kids...

There has been no TiKi in Malibu other than Dukes for years, it will be about time. I cannot wait!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 05:30 am   Permalink

Arlo Guthrie..didn't he play with the Sex pistols?

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-01 11:14 am   Permalink

DUH!!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-06-30 4:18 pm   Permalink

The Beachcomber and the Tikiyaki Orchestra on Eater.

EATER LA

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 5:52 pm   Permalink

BUSTED !

I would have posted this gig on here, but it was a fundraiser gig in Malibu...which...as you would expect adds up to a Big $$$ ticket price. $75 person, $40 for kids....that price included all you can eat food and drink, but I didn't feel right posting it here, cos' that's alot of money.

Having said that, the "Tonga Lei" room, which was built by Bamboo Ben, with contributions from Holden at Tiki Farm, and Tiki Ray, is a private Tiki Room, which holds about 10 people in a round booth, is beautiful, and worth checking out. Thing is, you have to rent it out, but I'm guessing that the bar staff will let you have a peek. Lots of collectibles and mugs by Squid, Ken Ruzik and others....

We played as the Tikiyaki Orchestra "lite"...basically sans our percussionist and steel player. Those who saw us at the Mai Kai...same deal. It was awesome playing with the sound of the waves pounding the pier underneath us...pretty trippy feeling the pier shake on the bigger waves.

The Beachcomber is basically the 30's style Beachcomber that was there originally. Nautical/Yacht club style. The Tonga Lei room is in the bar area, and the owner bought the name just for this room. The original Tonga Lei was a few hundred feet away, and is now the site of a hotel.

The owner is the guy who owns all the Ruby's restaurants on the piers in SoCal. They will be opening the Ruby's on the Malibu Pier soon. This was the grand Opening of the Pier party.

Thanx to Holden and Bamboo Ben for suggesting us for this gig to the owner. It was a fun day.

Here's a few pix from the day.

The Tonga Lei Room

Mai Kai Bowl as the centerpiece.

Push the button on the Tiki and see what happens !

Gangsta style....The Tikiyaki Orchestra...only way out is in a Box !

My view all day.

Mr and Mrs BOO!

Tiki Ray and His contribution to the Tonga Lei Room.

RUMMY likes Vodka too !

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-30 17:56 ]

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 9:09 pm   Permalink

http://theguide.latimes.com/bars-and-clubs

...more to come soon.......

Keep an Eye out!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 10:40 am   Permalink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation