FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Creating Tiki ╗ ╗ Tiki Carving ╗ ╗ Lurking Tikiphite finally posts his work. . .(10-2-10 new pics, tiki # 10, 11 now posted)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Lurking Tikiphite finally posts his work. . .(10-2-10 new pics, tiki # 10, 11 now posted)
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 7:19 pm   Permalink

Never saw this thread but I agree. Love that shelf and the SB came out great!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 8:52 pm   Permalink

Very nice work, the shelf is awesome!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_tim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:22 pm   Permalink

It's been a while, but finally completed my latest carving. Been working through some issues, but figured it was time to get off my butt and carve.

Maybe someone will recognize this carving, as I was inspired by some pics I saw somewhere(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Here are some progress pics:

(pine log from woods in Colorado. Log cut last spring, been laying around in my backyard since then

sketched on main image. Notice no cracks in log (YET)

start hackin'

boxey butt!

getting close

from the side (notice log cracking)

1st coat stain, english chestnut

finished! front

side

back

Posing in front of my bar. Warding off evil spirits, and tea toddlers.

This was pretty fun to do. For sure it's the biggest one I have done to date. Used lancelot tool on my angle grinder, also used burrs on a die grinder. Used some el-cheapo chisels to help in the wierd spots.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_tim 2010-03-08 18:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_tim 2010-10-02 17:11 ]

View Profile of tiki_tim Send a personal message to tiki_tim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki tonz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:37 pm   Permalink

Nice smooth work! The shelves rock!

View Profile of tiki tonz Send a personal message to tiki tonz  Email tiki tonz Goto the website of tiki tonz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:37 pm   Permalink

its amazing how good everyone gets. your tikis are lookin gooood. Especially like the shelves.

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_tim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-02 4:50 pm   Permalink

I did this carving about 5 months ago. This carving was inspired by something I saw on this site, but I don't remember the artist. I got a new set of Flexcut hand chisels, and this was first carving I did with them. This was done on a fairly big pine log. Had to chainsaw away a large portion of outer wood to get it down to size, and eliminate the bug eaten outside wood.

I know the pineapple is a bit trite, but I was doing this for someone, and thought they might like it.

getting there.

done.

The new owner and his tiki.

TT

View Profile of tiki_tim Send a personal message to tiki_tim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_tim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-02 4:59 pm   Permalink

This tiki I did about 2 months ago. I wanted to do one for my mom, so it had to be a happy tiki. I found inspiration from a carving done by a popular Hawaiian carver. This was done in Aspen wood, which had been drying for a few years in my brother in laws basement. Carves really easy.

Starting up

Getting there

Done. Mom really liked this one. Turned out ok.

TT

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-02 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-02 16:50, tiki_tim wrote:
I did this carving about 5 months ago. This carving was inspired by something I saw on this site, but I don't remember the artist.

I would say you where inspired by Florida based carver Mai Tiki, because of the trademark pineapple forehead.

Nice gift tiki for your Mom! That's nice! Post more often!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 06:34 am   Permalink

Excellent stuff tiki-tim, and about time you posted it too. I see some Serious tools on your bench there, can we see more of what those are?

Thanks for posting, Bring on S'more??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_tim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-03 07:46 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben.

No fancy tools here, unfortunately. I use a combo of power and hand tools on big projects:

For quick rough wood removal, I use the Lancelot wheel. Quick but scary. This fits on my 4" angle grinder. (always keep the guard in place). NOT for the faint hearted.

http://www.katools.com/lancelot.html

For smaller details, I use a air powered die grinder with some el-cheapo burs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-coarse-tooth-rotary-rasp-file-set-35453.html

For details I use some Flexcut palm Tools

http://www.flexcut.com/products/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1059&category_id=113

And also use a Dremmel with a variety of bits/wheels .

I really like the control I get using the flexcuts, but they are too small for any large volume wood removal. Someday I will have to cough up some more $ to get some big chisels.

For miscellaneous weird cuts/shaping, I have been known to use the drill press and compound miter saw.

TT

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 12:00 pm   Permalink

A couple of those are remarkably similar to some of my first carves. I wish I still had those guys to show because they could be brothers. I see a 6 footer in your future.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation