FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 12:24 am   Permalink

Hi Everyone,
I've been a lurker on this site for over a year--admiring the many talented artists at work here. You guys are truly inspiring.
I've been planning to build a Tiki Room in my basement for quite some time and finally amassed most of the materials to do so. The working name for the room is 'Hula Sue's South Seas Club' (for my wife) and will be what we’re considering a part Enchanted Tiki room, part Hawaii 'simulator' and uh…part other stuff.
I was lucky enough to find (listed on Craigslist) a bamboo covered (interior) Chinese restaurant in Tacoma that was being renovated, and got a free truckload of whole and split bamboo poles. Felt just like hitting the lottery (you know, if the lottery gave a bunch of bamboo to the winner). I had to steel wool the old peeling varnish off of miles of poles but it was worth it. I found a great restaurant corner booth and some nice rattan and bamboo furniture on Craigslist as well.

I started by framing in walls over the concrete (following the weeks it took to clean the place out). The short flight of stairs down to the basement will be surrounded by lava cave entrance with bamboo railings that terminate in Tiki Pole newel posts. There will be fake windows behind the bar with a large, rear-lit photo backdrop (from panoramic pics I took on vacation) of our favorite Hawaiian beach (Tunnels Beach on Kauai) set back into the adjoining storage room for depth.
On the walls, I’ll be using a combination of bamboo, matting and Tapa and I’ve made some baseboard and trim inspired…er…ripped-off from the likes of the legendary Bamboo Ben and others on the site (I just love the way the wood looks when you torch and wire-brush it to get the weather-worn raised-grain look—like some of that woodwork in Fantasyland).

Anyway, I’m just getting started (and by that I mean I’m several months in) but I thought I would post and document my progress—and hopefully solicit some great input/ideas/inspiration from all of you. I’ve already learned much from many of you on this site.
Mahalo!
John…er….I mean Mr. Pupu Pants

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-06-18 15:43 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 12:48 am   Permalink

Wow this looks like an amazing project. Good find on the bamboo poles. And the restaurant booth.
Looks like a great space to build your tiki room.

Keep them updates coming.

Mahalo

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-02 12:58 am   Permalink

I wish British houses had basement rooms...

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 04:58 am   Permalink

I wish Austrian Houses didn't.
But more on topic, I really like the carved panels, keep us posted on the progress

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 06:43 am   Permalink

Looking like you're off to a great start Cant wait to seeit progress

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 09:15 am   Permalink

Nice work so far, I can already tell this will be a great home tiki bar. It already looks better than some of the "completed" tiki bars I've seen.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-02 10:01 am   Permalink

i'm glad you've de-lurked! what an awesome motherload of bamboo!! we're in seattle ~ hope to meet up with you soon!!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 7:09 pm   Permalink

remember to take many progression pics and post as often as you can (with Mai Tai in hand)!

looks like good fun for good times!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 7:15 pm   Permalink

Wonderful! I can tell this is going to be great tiki room. Did you use a router for the baseboards and trim? They look great! I’d like to do something similar.

Keep us posted. Aloha and welcome to TC.

Beautiful Tunnels Beach, Kauai.

MrsHoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-02 8:39 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC...love the user name. Yep...you are well on your way to a fabulous lounge...your lurking served you well. All your plans sound great and you are lucky to have such a roomy basement. Keep up the great work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JanetMermaid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 05:12 am   Permalink

Looks awesome! I love some of your Craigslist finds. God Bless Craigslist!

Please keep us posted with regular photo updates.

View Profile of JanetMermaid Send a personal message to JanetMermaid  Goto the website of JanetMermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-02 00:24, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:

Anyway, I’m just getting started (and by that I mean I’m several months in)

Mr PuPu,

Need it done in 10 days?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 11:13 am   Permalink

great progress shots, great spot, awesome collection of pieces. Yours is definately one to watch. This is going to be nice!

have fun with it!!! (looks like you already are!)

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 2:44 pm   Permalink

Thank you all very much for the nice comments. I've had so much fun working on this and it's nice to be able to share it with like-minded, encouraging folks like you. It's been kind of like building my own little piece of Disneyland--which is what I've day-dreamed about since I was a kid. Wow, I sound like a sap.
Anyway-
MrsHopTiki-I did use a router for the 'carving' in the panels so I'm a big cheater
It's so cool to think that you can take a regular old 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 and carve some lines into it, burn it, scrape it and stain it and end up with something that looks good.

Bamboo Ben--I'm not worthy

Hey, I found a cool thing on Ebay the other day that will work for something I've been planning. I want to have singing tiki heads built into columns like the Enchanted Tiki room and I found these to use as the mechanisms. I bought 4 of them for $10.00 each.

They have an aux input for running a microphone or audio line feed so the 'faces' can 'sing' along with whatever you want. I'll mount mechanisms inside the columns behind the carved tiki faces and attach a lightweight faux-wood lower lips/mouth. When I play Enchanted tiki room songs or anything else they'll flap their mouths and sing right along.
I'll post more pics soon. Thanks again for the kind words!

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
etohliver

Posted: 2008-05-03 5:53 pm   Permalink

Wow, that is going to be one sweet retreat!

I feel you're a kindred spirit Pupu. Disneyland is a worthy inspiration (or Disney World as it's called round my parts).

I don't have a basement or spare room to convert into my theme park, so I'm using what little backyard I have. I can see you are working along the same lines as I am in your project - it's the details that make up the whole. Coincidentally, we had a party today in the backyard and my friend who is a great woodsmith gave me a nice compliment (without even knowing my affinity for Disney). He said "from every angle you always see something new, just like at Disneyworld."

It's easy to see that you will achieve the same effect in time. I've been at my backyard for lots of weekends for going on 2 years now, and am maybe 50% done (although when your outside it's easy to work for a couple hours and then admire your handiwork from the hammock for the next six). When people tell me I could do this kind of thing for a living I say: "yeah, just find me someone who can wait 5 years for a finished project." When I hired a tile guy to do my pool tiles and pavers, and he and his crew came in and finished in 8 or 9 days I remember thinking: "What fun is that? I could have had a good six months of laying tile!"

My guess is that as soon as you "finish," you'll have to start "updating." At least that's what I'll need to do - I know I won't be able to go cold turkey!

Anyway, don't rush it - the journey is almost all the fun!

And one more thing, more pics!

[ This Message was edited by: etohliver 2008-05-03 17:58 ]

View Profile of etohliver Send a personal message to etohliver      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation