FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 2:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 02:30, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Hi Guys, as I look for things to do until I am physically able to get back to work on Hula Sue's,
I've most recently bored you with home movies and waxed poetic on how to burn bamboo.

Here's an idea I've been planning to do for a long time and thought I'd mock up for my TC pals
(aaaaaaand make myself feel like I've made an honest to goodness creative contribution in a while).

Over the years, I've collected several of the old motion lamps that have fish
and other creatures of the sea swimming in circles -- just like in your finer aquariums.

The illustrations below are just quick Photoshop mock-ups but the actual effect does work pretty nicely
to combine the spinner mechanism and spinner (and even the outer shell of the motion lamp as in the first
example), to create a nice (if kitschy) tropical themed lamp.

In the Glass float, you can also use some 'actual fake' undersea foliage to camouflage the physical base of the motion lamp
which also helps add to the 3D feel of the scene.

Just in case there is anyone unfamiliar with these cool old lamps, they basically work by using the air movement
generated by the the heat disappation of a light bulb to turn a vented 'spinner' --helping create (sometimes with
multiple juxtaposing patterns) all kinds of fun animated scenes.

Hope you like them and hope you all had a great weekend,
John

Cool idea John! I actually have one of those fish motion lamps set up in my tiki lounge (as you can see in the lower mid-right hand side of this photo...it looks bright white):

But I really like your idea! I may have to use that one.

Always a pleasure to peruse this thread. It's so awesome.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 6:39 pm   Permalink

Brilliant! I love this idea! Such fun!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 5:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 02:30, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Hi Guys, as I look for things to do until I am physically able to get back to work on Hula Sue's,
I've most recently bored you with home movies and waxed poetic on how to burn bamboo.

Here's an idea I've been planning to do for a long time and thought I'd mock up for my TC pals
(aaaaaaand make myself feel like I've made an honest to goodness creative contribution in a while).

Over the years, I've collected several of the old motion lamps that have fish
and other creatures of the sea swimming in circles -- just like in your finer aquariums.

The illustrations below are just quick Photoshop mock-ups but the actual effect does work pretty nicely
to combine the spinner mechanism and spinner (and even the outer shell of the motion lamp as in the first
example), to create a nice (if kitschy) tropical themed lamp.

In the Glass float, you can also use some 'actual fake' undersea foliage to camouflage the physical base of the motion lamp
which also helps add to the 3D feel of the scene.

Just in case there is anyone unfamiliar with these cool old lamps, they basically work by using the air movement
generated by the the heat disappation of a light bulb to turn a vented 'spinner' --helping create (sometimes with
multiple juxtaposing patterns) all kinds of fun animated scenes.

Hope you like them and hope you all had a great weekend,
John

I really like the idea and how it looks in the mock-up of the fishing float, but I can think of one major stumbling block to it working in a fishing float: you need an air inlet at the bottom for cool air to come in & be heated by the lamp, and an outlet at the top to let out hot air. I think turning speed is affected by the amount of airflow, too, so the inlet & outlet holes can't be too small.

Thinking out loud, a possible way to disguise these needed holes (besides using the aforementioned real fake undersea foliage at top & bottom) could be to make the fishing float/motion fish lamp the central float in a vertical trio of fish floats, with the needed air holes camouflaged by the knot work securing the three floats in line.

Taking this direction in disguising the air holes for the lamp also affords you the possibility of using red & green "floats" above & below the motion lamp and putting flicker lamps in them for added atmosphere, or using frosted "floats" and putting an RGB LED, a randomizing driver, & a battery in each to make a color changing light,
like the new Mickey Balloons at Disneyland (only slower in their color changing I'd think).

[EDIT]I distracted myself too much there and forgot that I wanted to say I hope you're making great strides in getting better! PT can be a bear, and improvements can be small in the short term, but keep working at it and you'll continue to get better in the long run.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2011-04-29 17:18 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-30 01:35 am   Permalink

Thanks Freddie
Or I could just cheat and use one of those small Christmas ornament rotators as a motor and move the spinners inside the glass floats that way.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-30 01:35, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Thanks Freddie
Or I could just cheat and use one of those small Christmas ornament rotators as a motor and move the spinners inside the glass floats that way.

Those little ones that plug into the Christmas light sockets? I think the lamps that rotate on heat from the lamp need at least a Nightlight lamp to generate enough heat, but with a plug in rotator you could use a smaller, cooler light, like a 1-3 LED lamp; more mood, less lighting. Less heat from the lamp means smaller access holes and less possibility of damage to the rotating shade. Smart!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ESP182
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-07 1:53 pm   Permalink

Hey Mr Pants -

Any updates on the bar?

View Profile of ESP182 Send a personal message to ESP182      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-08 08:41 am   Permalink

wow sooo so cool!!!! I love the booth and the relief map of Hawaii behind it!! You've given me some great ideas!!! keep up the great work

paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-08 4:00 pm   Permalink

Wow! Your bar is truly amazing and you are an excellent craftsman. Are you available for hire:)

Perhaps sometime this summer some of the Seattle TC'ers could make a pilgrimage up to view the bar? If you would be open to the idea let me know and I'll try to organize a few of us coming up. I promise I'll bring some good rum to leave behind!

Cheers!

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 02:53 am   Permalink

Hello my friends, thanks so much for the kinds words. I appreciate them more than you know.
Here's an update on my lack of updates (and my current condition).

Mr. Pupu's Surgical Adventure:
In an attempt at a little escape from the excruciating pain and cervical nerve damage of my car accident earlier this year,
I recently enjoyed a one week stay at the lavishly pain-inducing NW Hospital Surgical Spa and Resort.
I originally booked the 'Cut and Run Getaway' to remove and replace some spinal disc (with cadaver bone
from a previous resort visitor) and fuse three of the cervical vertebrae in my neck. I was told I would return home the next day.

I jumped right into the scheduled activities.
Following the first session of 'Spinal Arts and Crafts', I was gently awakened to refreshingly agonizing pain,
an energizing blood pressure of 220/117 and a partied out right shoulder and arm (impaired and mostly immobile).

Two days later, I was invited by the Surgical Activities Director to take a second ride on the romantic
gurney for one -- and additional cervical fun and relaxation.

Unfortunately, no improvement to the shoulder or arm was had. I'm glad I didn't take any video of the trip.
It would only have been a very bad scene on the cutting room floor.

Even though I'm home now, I'm still taking additional 'trips' and the Oxycocktails they serve are great -- if a bit strong.

I just look forward to letting go of all the baggage and seeing some (or maybe even all) of the function return to
my shoulder and arm. I have to remember that getting there is supposed to be half the fun.
The problem is that the other half of the fun could be delayed by weeks, months or ... longer.

Whatever happened to those good, old-fashioned 'weekend getaways' to be bled by leeches?

Thanks again for the encouragement. I'll still be working on the little stuff until I can work on the big stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: mr. pupu pants 2011-10-11 16:57 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 03:20 am   Permalink

Oh Man, not great news, but you hang in there, get better
Take care, I have been there too.

CTiT

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 04:18 am   Permalink

Hang in there, man.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 08:18 am   Permalink

Get better soon Pupu, I miss seing updates to your cool space.

Mahalo!

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2011-07-30 08:18 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 7:37 pm   Permalink

Whoa, that's rough. The psychical therapy is gonna be harsh, but keep at it sir! The end will definitely justify the means.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 8:08 pm   Permalink

whoa, that sounds like a bad trip, here's hoping your adventures take a turn for the better soon. We're all eagerly awaiting our next virtual tour through your wild imagination / home bar. but for now just take it easy.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-30 8:28 pm   Permalink

Well John, at least you haven't lost your sense of humor or your writing ability! Keep a stiff upper lip, thus too shall pass - hope you recover rapidly and completely.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation