FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Tiki-ESP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-21 6:29 pm   Permalink

Bumping this thread in hopes that Mr. Pupu is still lurking these forums! Wherefore art thou!??

View Profile of Tiki-ESP Send a personal message to Tiki-ESP      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-22 9:32 pm   Permalink

Hi Guys, I'm still out here.
As you know, I got a little side-tracked with a car accident last year. Unfortunately, he status of my arm is about the same. I remain very hopeful (and say alot of prayers for strength) but life goes on.
I can't draw like I once could and am learning to do some things left-handed but, one way or or another,
that damn bar is going to be finished (along with every other project I have going)
I have actually been dividing my time between working on Hula Sue's and working on my short film (got a new camera and a steadicam dying to be used) so I have been busy (which helps alot). The film is a short sci-fi story I wrote that will star my actor/son and some actor/friends. I'm sure having a blast getting geared up for it. Here are a couple of pre-production illustrations of a costume and one of the models (please ignore lighting direction -- was just playing around with artwork and titles, etc.

The interior of the lander/vehicle (being built partly from old commercial airplane cockpit parts and lots of lights and switches) is going to end up integrated into the space-themed home theater room of our house. The 'suit' part of the space-suits were made by a company back east that does leather motorcycle riding suits. I sent them my design and they made them exact. Really fun to try 'em on.
One new addition to Hula Sue's is a piece of signage in the form of a riveted sheet metal replica section of B-17 bomber 'nose art'. It features a painted Hula Sue among the clouds I'll take a picture and post that soon.

Big Kahuna, Jokeii, Queen Amy, pwest71, forgotten tikiman: thank you so much for the the encouragement. It helps more than you guys know. Coming to Tiki Central is always great for lifting my spirits.

KittyKat65: a belated welcome to Tiki Central!
Everything went great for Madagascar 3. I'm so glad to hear your son likes those movies. I passed that info on to my brother, Tom. Those kind of things are really nice to hear. In fact, once Mad 3 wrapped, Tom was asked by Ben Stiller to direct his next live-action movie. It's called Rent-a-Ghost and the script is great. I've been able to help out on that a tiny bit with some pre-production editing of sample effects clips for the writers/producers. Any chance to work on something with my brother is always the best.

Tiki Tex: would you consider substituting a right arm in leiu of the coconut?
I wish you all the fun and good fortune there is on your new Tiki Bar project and I'll look forward to seeing it here at Tiki Central. Thank so much for the very kind words.

Tiki-ESP: Thanks for the encouagement and reminders to climb out of my cave and say hello once in a while

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2012-09-26 02:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2013-03-14 19:40 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-22 10:00 pm   Permalink

Mr. Pupu Pants, my girlfriend was in a car accident and suffers from nerve damage in her legs so I've seen what it can do. She keeps very positive and busy and it sounds like you do too.
Your lounge area is amazing and your creativity is inspiring.
I like the sound of the B-17 nose art, I can't wait to see the picture of that. The short film sounds like a fun project.
Please tell your brother the Madagascar movies are very good. I got to be on a test screening for Madagascar 2 and even with part of the movie in story board it was still good.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-22 11:52 pm   Permalink

Your Sci Fi project sounds interesting, Have you been following "Alfonso Cuaron" Gravity
that is currently in production?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-ESP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 1:32 pm   Permalink

Good to see that you are still lurking these forums!

I'm soo excited to see the progress of the bar, and your film project. Your description of the interior of your house (beyond the bar)..sounds amazing! Sheet metal riveted to replicate the front of a B-47 bomber? AWESOME!!

Now if I only had my own house to do with it what I want. You think the landlord would be ok with tearing down a wall, or adding cool stuff!

And I have to say when you mention making the interior of old parts from planes and stuff...my response is ,"Of course?! Brilliant!" If I only lived in the northwest I would help out with the bar space. But all i can do is change my enthusiasm through font! Feel the power!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-09-24 13:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-ESP 2012-09-24 13:39 ]

View Profile of Tiki-ESP Send a personal message to Tiki-ESP      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-16 4:30 pm   Permalink

GOOD to hear from you. (Sorry, been outa commish, trying to earn the shekels needed to feed the Tiki habit...)

Press on, regardless!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 08:19 am   Permalink

Keep getting better my friend.

If you are ever in San Diego county please look us up.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-17 6:43 pm   Permalink

JOHN!!!! I missed your post when it was fresh! So glad to hear you are keeping busy, I know the value of that firsthand. Good to see that you still pop in here from time to time. Keep on getting better and keep on creating!

Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 09:19 am   Permalink

Sorry to hear about your arm, but I am sure a talented guy like you will find a way around it. The movie looks really neat and sounds very interesting. I can't wait to see the pics of the riveted metal sheet section, I know it has to be insanely awesome. Good to see you still lurking around.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

John!!!!!!!!!1 good to see you back, we certainly missed you. Sorry you are still not up to par, but you keep working at it, you'll finish that bar! It looks amazing. Your film project looks like fun, good luck with it!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyndigo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-18 11:53 pm   Permalink

I'm new to tiki and perusing the threads for ideas. Um, wow! You've really set the bar high. I'm a writer and love the idea of constructing a story for the space, and will steal/borrow that for The Naughty Coconut.

Hope you're continuing to recover!

[ This Message was edited by: cyndigo 2013-02-19 00:00 ]

View Profile of cyndigo Send a personal message to cyndigo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 09:18 am   Permalink

Glad to hear you're still alive and checking in with us. I too was one of the many who stalked your progress. I hope that soon you'll be able to continue your work. In the meantime have fun with your movie. I'm amazed at your creativity!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-19 11:59 am   Permalink

Freakin spectacular bar, One of my favs.
I cant wait to see the finished diorama.

Cheers!

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 8:29 pm   Permalink

Hello my friends!
I sure have missed you guys One way or another, Hula Sue's shall be 'completed'. I can't thank you enough for all the words of support. It seriously means a lot. I've been back at work in the bar and finishing up some projects. One of the projects is a custom base for my Enchanted Tiki Room bird statue. The base that comes with it is pretty basic and contemporary looking and not very Tiki Room-like. (I never understood why they mounted such an amazingly cool statue on something so plain.
To jazz it up a bit I built a small crate that covers the base and added a bamboo pole to cover the black support rod. I also made a shell nameplate like the one Jose has in Disneyland. Somehow, I ended up with two of these birds -- so I made custom bases for both.

I've decided to keep only one of the birds so I actually put the other one with it's new custom extra base up for auction on eBay if any of you are interested.
Here's what it looks like:

and here's the link to the one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEYLAND-Enchanted-Tiki-Room-Barker-Bird-Big-Figurine-EXTREMELY-RARE/221201608684?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=012&category=1375&cmd=ViewItem

I have more to post very soon. You guys are the best. Thanks again

[ This Message was edited by: mr. pupu pants 2013-03-14 23:54 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-14 9:16 pm   Permalink

JOHN'S BACK!!!!!!!!

Hope this means you are doin' better and will drop in on us more often! That bird definately needed a base upgrade and, in true Mr Pupu pants fashion, you did an amazing job

Welcome back.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation