[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki johnny quongs hawaiian - salt lake city
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
johnny quongs hawaiian - salt lake city
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 1:52 pm   Permalink

saw a mug on ebay today from jimmy quongs hawaiian...did a search here and found nothin....according to the seller the place (or at least the building)is still there...anyone know anything about it?? it was open (supposedly) from 1965-1973??

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Corrected title. - 2012-02-27 20:22 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 2:14 pm   Permalink

Tipsy,

There is a small picture of an ad from this place in the BOT, since I am at work right now, I can't tell what page. I have a Ku styled mug from this place.

Timeframe sounds about right, not for certain though!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 3:07 pm   Permalink

BOT Page 157, upper right hand corner. Looks like someone we all know around here is bidding on it too!

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-08 15:13 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-08 6:16 pm   Permalink

Won by...guess who??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1965-JOHNNY-QUONGS-Tiki-Mug-Salt-Lake-City_W0QQitemZ220230697747QQihZ012QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One of the reasons I shop in the wild!

PTD

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 03:14 am   Permalink

How great to discover a mug that I never knew existed! And that Frank didn't have yet !? Now that means something. I have seen this bugga before in a generic form, but never with that paint, and with the OMC sticker and that restaurant stamp.

The menu cover from the Hawaiian is also in the BOT, and the cool architectural model on the opening page of "The Tiki and its Temples" chapter in TIKI MODERN was done for The Hawaiian/Tiki Hut. That e-bay info about it is really interesting:

"The building is still there, with the recognizable mast soaring high....but it's in terrible condition now."
Now WHO is gonna go there and photograph that place, it sounds like a great example of Tiki Devolution !?

I wish I was home so I could post more images of the Tiki Take Out delivery vehicle fleet Johnny's had: Ford Mustangs that said "Tiki Hut" in the same type than the menu on the side...

Here's a matchbook from another of Johnny Quong's businesses, the Beachboy, also an A-frame!:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-09 03:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 04:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-09 03:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
How great to discover a mug that I never knew existed! And that Frank didn't have yet !? Now that means something. I have seen this bugga before in a generic form, but never with that paint, and with the OMC sticker and that restaurant stamp.

The menu cover from the Hawaiian is also in the BOT, and the cool architectural model on the opening page of "The Tiki and its Temples" chapter in TIKI MODERN was done for The Hawaiian/Tiki Hut. That e-bay info about it is really interesting:

"The building is still there, with the recognizable mast soaring high....but it's in terrible condition now."
Now WHO is gonna go there and photograph that place, it sounds like a great example of Tiki Devolution !?

I wish I was home so I could post more images of the Tiki Take Out delivery vehicle fleet Johnny's had: Ford Mustangs that said "Tiki Hut" in the same type than the menu on the side...

Here's a matchbook from another of Johnny Quong's businesses, the Beachboy, also an A-frame!:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-09 03:15 ]

glad i brought this topic to everyones attention!!...looks like i'm finally doing something right around here!!...and as a bonus, i didn't make anyone angry with this thread........what a day!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 06:50 am   Permalink

Tipsy,

I saw that mug on ebay as well. Like Bigbro and KC, I too had never seen that one before. Here is a link to some great stuff on Johnny Quong's posted years ago by the Puamana and Sabu. This is the Ford Mustang Delivery fleet that Bigbro mentioned.

Quote:

On 2005-03-07 12:24, puamana wrote:
Sabu, that matchcover with the drink pics is great ! I also hadn't seen anything from the Beach Boy before. Here's pics of the Johnny's Tiki Hut dinner menu :

Front:

Back:

Closer view of delivery cars for the Tiki Hut:

A-frame of the Hawaiian, with their delivery cars:

Inside back page of menu, with photo of architect's model for the Hawaiian :

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=13508&forum=1&hilite=quong

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-05-09 10:31 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 07:15 am   Permalink

Google street has already done Salt Lake City. The first address shows some buildings, but don't see it. The 54 2nd South address is a mystery to Google. If someone knows the location, they can have a picture of it now thanks to Google Street.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 07:28 am   Permalink

Maybe this is it? One building has a sign that reads "Exotic" but the address is 2901. This is further down the block on the other side.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 07:36 am   Permalink

Nope. This is it. Sigh

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 10:21 am   Permalink

Swakny,

That Google Streets is amazing, I have not used that before. I sounds like they are working on shooting different Cities across the US? The Live Maps from MSN is also a good site for aerial photos in 3D birdseye mode.

These are the pictures of the mug from ebay. I thought I should post them before the link to ebay goes away.

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-05-09 10:27 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 10:27 am   Permalink

I thought I would add a few more postcards from Tiki in Salt Lake City.

These are from Benny Chan's Polynesian Restaurant.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 12:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-09 10:27, Dustycajun wrote:
I thought I would add a few more postcards from Tiki in Salt Lake City.

These are from Benny Chan's Polynesian Restaurant.

Kinda cool how they made the rocks look vaguely like tikis. Didn't notice at first.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 10:28 pm   Permalink

That's also because they used a flash, which lit them flatly, straight from the camera. I bet with a little top lighting, the shadows would make them look more defined, even though they were intentionally kept crude.

Thanks for jumping in Dustycajun and pulling all that imagery on Johnny Quongs to give this thread its visual weight. I tried so hard to get that Tiki Hut Mustang fleet into TIKI MODERN, but did not find the room. That's the trade off with books, they are better than the web because you can hold and behold the images in a more "real" way, but even with a book as fat and full as TIKI MODERN, it cannot match the infinite room that the net provides.

And thanks for googling the building, that place bears no resemblance to the original, it either got added onto and completely changed in the process, or its another building. I have no idea what the e-bay seller is talking about in "...The building is still there, with the recognizable mast soaring high..." What mast? Maybe he means the sign, which WAS great (if not quite that big):

Somewhere, I think in the "Hawaiian" menu, there is a small photo of the UFO side of the building, with that wonderfull neon sign, so it really existed. I wonder if we have any Tiki agents in Salt lake City that could dig up real photos of the place. I have never seen any postcards of it, int or ext.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 12:45 am   Permalink

I wonder what kind of drink was served in that mug? Remember, this was Salt Lake City in the 1960's - that ad, postcard and matchbook are conspicuously missing the word "bar". Would be interesting to know if they had a whole series of non-alcoholic tiki drinks, ala the Hawaiian Punch Pavilion at Sea World.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation