[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki johnny quongs hawaiian - salt lake city
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
johnny quongs hawaiian - salt lake city
Slingerland61

Posted: 2011-08-01 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-20 00:12, tikicoma wrote:
I guess I'm the only person on Tiki Central who will admit to having been the the Hawaiian.

Nope... I was there.
I remember going to The Hawaiian back in the early 1970s. I was just a little tyke from NorCal visiting grandparents so I don't remember much; mainly that it rained INSIDE and had thunder and lightening and everything. Scared the crap out of me!
BUT I remember loving the decorations, seeing real hula girls, wanting to touch every Tiki in the place and that my grandpa was probably the hippest dude in SLC!
I wish I had pictures.

View Profile of Slingerland61 Send a personal message to Slingerland61  Goto the website of Slingerland61     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-08 11:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-10 18:17, krisbaker wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-09 03:14, bigbrotiki wrote:

Here's a matchbook from another of Johnny Quong's businesses, the Beachboy, also an A-frame!:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-09 03:15 ]

OK, guys. I just found your forum....

I see you've already found The Beachboy. In the mid-1960s, it was similar to the Hawaiian, with the rainstorms, thunder, and menu.

Here's what the building looks like right now:

http://snurl.com/uc05w [maps_google_com]

[ This Message was edited by: krisbaker 2010-02-10 18:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: krisbaker 2010-02-10 18:20 ]

Here is that image...it became The Spot Club

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-26 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-10 08:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-10 00:45, Koolau wrote:
I wonder what kind of drink was served in that mug? Remember, this was Salt Lake City in the 1960's - that ad, postcard and matchbook are conspicuously missing the word "bar". Would be interesting to know if they had a whole series of non-alcoholic tiki drinks, ala the Hawaiian Punch Pavilion at Sea World.

You mean...the tropical cocktails might all have been virgin in the Mormon capital? As a foreigner I am not knowledgeable about the intricacies of the liquor laws of that state, but it would be a curious footnote to Polynesian pop mixology history if indeed all these potions below (courtesy of Sabu from the above link) would have been non-alcoholic versions:

Well, I managed to find a matchbook from Johnny Quong's Hawaiian. Some different graphics on the cover than the one Bigbro posted.

Sad but not surprised to report that all of those drinks shown on the inside of the matchbook were indeed non-alcoholic.

I am assuming there were a few airplane bottles/flasks imported into the Hawaiian over the years.

Also saw this take out menu on ebay with some nice graphics and info from the Hawaiian.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

is the dust on a dusty cajun: cayenne pepper, or filet gumbo?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 7:59 pm   Permalink

First time I noticed this, the title of this thread needs to be changed from "Jimmy" to Johnny Quongs - moderator help.

Porpise - It's definitely Cayene Pepper.

I have seen a few more mug varieties from Johnny Quongs.

Moai

Modified Peanut.

And a Mainlander mug, rarely seen outside of St. Louis.

Some pretty nice mugs for a place that never sold liquor.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-28 1:05 pm   Permalink

I dug up some old ads for the Hawaiian.

An early 1960s ad with the call in service and delivery fleet.

This one has a nice rendering of the A-Frame building and the Tiki masks on the poles out front.

A comical ad for the takee outee service.

And a mid-1980's ad that referenced Mr. T for steaks!

Johnny with a Mohawk!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-28 2:46 pm   Permalink

Since this thread seems to be the repository of all things Beach Boy related, I figured I would ad this article about Johnny Quong opening the Beach Boy restaurant here.

The article indicates that the Beach Boy restaurant theme was going to be franchised out, but I have found no evidence of that.

And now, the Johnny Quong and the A-Frame Beach Boy.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-28 2:53 pm   Permalink

Wow, what an ace of an A-frame! Hopefully one day a good quality glossy 8x10 will turn up of this marvel.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-02 11:05 am   Permalink

Good to see some info on the Beach Boy A-frame come to light. I mentioned it back in 09' but there was no response back then. Always great to see something new.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32643&forum=1

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 6:10 pm   Permalink

Found another ad from the Hawaiian, quite a floor show.

Now who got the great menu that sold on ebay a while back?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 7:46 pm   Permalink

I did

I had the empty cover for years, never knew this eye candy existed!

I need it for the show. You can ask for it as payment for your loans after

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-21 8:05 pm   Permalink

Spotted this cool invitation to a pre-opening Luau from the Hawaiian on ebay a while back.

DC

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-09 9:09 pm   Permalink

Once again WWII shows an interesting influence on a mid-century poly-pop restaurant. Johnny Quong was born in Canton in 1923, when he was about 10 he came to the U.S., during WWII he was a mechanic in the army-airforce for the Flying Tigers.

(from a 1965 international harvester magazine)
"The Hawaiian is a rendezvous decked in all manner of South Sea paraphernalia- obsolete anchors, coiled hawsers, fish nets, stuffed sharks and even a "built-in" typhoon.", and to my eye the buildings outriggers look like they are honoring the Flying Tigers nose art!

"Same night, but 2,193 miles away, a CM-80 Metro-Mite rolled up to a suburban Salt Lake City home. A pretty girl in Polynesian attire stepped out, her arms expertly balancing covered trays of piping hot chop suey, chow mein and Mandarin pressed duck. She rang the doorbell, was welcomed in, transferred the savory portions to the family's dinnerware, was paid for the service and returned to the specially outfitted International truck. another homemaker's request beckoned! The traveling waitress promptly wheeled away on her errands for The Hawaiian, a popular and colorful Chinese-American food emporium."

Utah is called the beehive state, I remember in the mid sixties asking my mom if it was named that after all the women's hairdo's.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 10:35 pm   Permalink

Wow! Great stuff Tikicoma! Those CM-80 Metro-Mites are killer! Nice find.

DC

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-24 11:12 am   Permalink

I saw this set of S&Ps once on Ebay (2nd photo is of that auction/1st photo is of the set I won) and realized that I had never seen them before and that they had never even been posted on this thread.

I happened to be wasting time online the other night and saw the set pop up in a mish mash lot of mugs i didn't really need but I bid anyways and won (this never happens) and ended up buy these for about $8.50.

Not bad.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation