Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Palm Frond Masks
Palm Frond Masks
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:33 am   Permalink

I'm kinda new around here. I did a search for palm frond mask but didn't find anything. Are they considered legitimate art or are they the bastard stepchild of tikidom? Here's a few I've made. They are several years old and outdoors, but a coat of spray shellac, a little paint, and some new sisal hair revives them.

They are a great project for the "artistically challenged" like myself. I use Canary Island palm fronds, they have a hard "shell" on the outside and soft wood (like balsa) inside. I use a Dremel to cut the outline and a knife to chip away the shell from the carved areas. A little black paint to the carved areas and you're done.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-14 6:59 pm   Permalink

Hello, MadDogMike, and welcome. I like the cluster of masks, I think they're more impressive together. Good work, I can't believe you could find material from the Canary islands!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-15 05:30 am   Permalink

Hi MaddogMike,

Cool stuff there, I like the upper right one best. But they look great all together.

View Profile of octopussy Send a personal message to octopussy  Goto the website of octopussy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-15 3:45 pm   Permalink

Thank you. Robb, I had 5 full-grown trees imported from the Canary Islands so I would have an endelss supply of fronds Octopussy, that's my fav too, looks very Polynesian to me. The one on the bottom right has the top of his head hollowed out, sometime I plant little palm trees in it for "hair"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 06:32 am   Permalink

When I saw this one,

it made me think of this:

:razz:

Keep at it, the potential is there for some great stuff. Having a nearly endless supply is awesome.

The need for artistic talent can be highly overrated, if the love for the subject is true. As a fellow artistically challenged carver, I know.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-06 8:09 pm   Permalink

OK, I'm at it again. Here are 2 I carved to look like me and the missus - the resemblance is uncanny

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 4:01 pm   Permalink

Check it out! I gots me an original, superslick MadDogMike mask. Thanks Mike. The finish is excellent, I hope the pic shows it. It looks like a prop from a vintage Tiki bar. The cord ears are way, way too cool.

I think it matches my Tiki, Shuggie, really well. They have the same, sculpted-out style.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 7:54 pm   Permalink

Nice score Robb! MDM, the lower right mask in the group photo is my personal fave, rings true in a kitschy way but still has an almost "authentic tribal" look to it.
Sweet!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation