FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Blue Tiki Gurl
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Blue Tiki Gurl
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 12:27 pm   Permalink

Good work, it'll be nice to see it finished.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-18 5:07 pm   Permalink

"I love that painting AND I love half naked wahines in waterfalls...."

Sam - you should be a poet.

My thoughts exactly. Love it.

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coruscate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-18 9:06 pm   Permalink

Love the theme and work!!!
Fantasytastic!

If I may make one unsolicited suggestion:

You modeled the light on the octopus and coral and ocean substrate similarly, along with the tail and it feels watery and deep where certain colors disappear or are absorbed.

Consider the torso of the mermaid under water compared to the other parts of the composition.

She seems evenly and brightly lit from top to bottom with shadows that are a little starker and define her musculature as cut.

Besides the fact I like to look at mermaid boobs, my eyes are overly drawn there due to the high key pallette that contrasts with the water.

You might try some adjustments for "atmosphere" from top to bottom and soften the contrast as you go deeper because the light underwater gets more diffused quickly, highlights don't get so high, and the color red starts to drop away.

This may have a double whammy effect to add visual depth and mood as well as accentuate and draw additional attention to her well done hair and the octopus which are mirroring each others' color fields and complexity of line.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers

View Profile of coruscate Send a personal message to coruscate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 08:18 am   Permalink

your Mermaid came out very kool . great work .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-22 06:52 am   Permalink

Thanks Robb, Gman and Tyger!:)

Also thanks to Coruscate, it's nice getting some unsolicited suggestions. I'm always up for constructive critisim as it helps me grow. I'll take your advice on the colors. She actually has more blue on her torso then the pic shows. It was a really light wash I put over her and the camera only sees what the camera sees. Perhaps I need to add more? I still haven't found any good reference pics yet....

[quote]Besides the fact I like to look at mermaid boobs, my eyes are overly drawn there due to the high key pallette that contrasts with the water.[quote]

I just thought that was hard wired into men's brains. My eyes aren't drawn to them, any other women out there agree?

Thanks again for looking. I've got a photographer friend who runs a modeling agency for figure drawing models. He offered to take a few photos for me (not of me)for my next paintings. So I hope to have some new subject matter soon! Happy me!

JJ

View Profile of octopussy Send a personal message to octopussy  Goto the website of octopussy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-08 12:51 pm   Permalink

Gosh it's been a while...but hey I'm back. Thought I'd post a tiki painting I did. Inspired between watching a video at Gman's and after my last figure drawing class. Pastel on Paper.

I call her Blue Tiki Gurl.

View Profile of octopussy Send a personal message to octopussy  Goto the website of octopussy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-08 1:39 pm   Permalink

"...been awhile..." That's an understatement!!! Good to have you back! Looks good, it would make a great black velvet.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 07:25 am   Permalink

It's sure nice to see some pastel work around here.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-12 10:39 am   Permalink

Thanks MadDog and Robb,

I got a little busy with life, mostly working on "fine art" but tiki art is lots of fun and I just needed a break!

I think I might have a go at the velvet art. I need to figure out how to attach black velvet to a support. I bet if I poke around here I can find a thread on it.

Starting out with pastels is great as you can work out the colors and not worry about mistakes. Unlike canvas if you screw up on velvet the fuzziness will be gone and even if you paint over it with black it'll still tattle on ya!

Cheers!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation