FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Any Guided By Voices fans out there?
Any Guided By Voices fans out there?
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-01 11:45 pm   Permalink

?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-02 5:27 pm   Permalink

My husband and I are way into GBV! We have seen them in concert many times. HEY HEY GLAD GIRLS!

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-02 10:35 pm   Permalink

We're 5 timers...Went to see them in Dayton at the Dublin Pub once, too. They just make me wanna rock. Period.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 09:03 am   Permalink

I like them. I hung-out with them backstage once in SF. Very sweet. They are kind of cultish though, I think.

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 10:41 am   Permalink

They play here in Tuscaloosa at The Chukker sometimes. My brother is a big fan, but I didn't go last time. Maybe when they come back through.

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 10:08 am   Permalink

The Chukker? Man, I whacked the TAR outta my head in that place one time, getting up onto the stage! There used to be a weird side entrance to get on, and the ceiling was quite low. I missed the entire first verse, reeling offstage (used to play there with my old band, Hillbilly Frankenstein). The owner Ludevic played sax with us some nights.

Did you know the waitress there that was on Temptation Island (I THINK that's which reality TV show it was)?

And yes, I love GBV! Never saw a man consume so many cigarettes and beers in one show. "And on cigarettes, high kicks and vocals, Mr...."

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-05 7:42 pm   Permalink

Formika, were you the singer for Hillbilly Frankenstein, like on the cd? I dig the version of Maneaters on Motorbikes - on a par with the original, I reckon.
-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-06 10:20 am   Permalink

Yeah, the Chukker is a great place. It was defunct for a while and just recently (last year) re-opened, so I don't think I know the waitress you're talking about. You gotta love that side door thing! I just saw Southern Culture there and it's funny to see them go out the door and come in the other one when they "go offstage". Are you still with the band? Sorry about your head!

Mary Huff is my idol!

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 01:39 am   Permalink

Ha! Yeah, that was me singing on Hillbilly's "Hypnotica" album. I too think our version of "Maneaters" ROCKED! (We learned later that it was actually titled "Get Off the Road".) What a FABulously BAD movie ("Maneaters on Motorbikes")! One of my alltime faves! Sheer genius: the director said it was cheaper to take biker chicks and teach them to "act," than to take actresses and teach them to ride hawgs convincingly. The result? TERRible acting, and a chick biker gang who wore not leather jackets with their "Maneaters" logo. Oh no. Instead, they wore brightly colored flannel vests with the logo!! Flannel vests!!! We just HAD to cover the song (the only cover on the album).

We used to play a lot with Southern Culture, all over the South. We really were a perfect pairing. And I always did/do the "8 Piece Box" fried chicken dance whenever we were in the same town. Finger Licken' Good! Mary and I would write graffiti about each other's hair as backstage greetings in cities where one knew the other would soon be playing. Not just graffiti -odes, really, to the bigness of each other's hair. We collectively kept the makers of Super Aquanet in business for many years. Our guitarist, Jeff Walls (former Guadalcanal Diary), produced a lot of their stuff.

(And now I've moved to Exotica, which you will see if you come to Oasis. I joined Clouseaux a couple of weeks ago, and I'm as excited about them as I was about Hillbilly - maybe more!)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

I wanna hear...That name is ingenious! Will you be wearing a pink panther outfit? Did I tell you Billy Taylor is gonna try to get a black Liberace tribute going? How red hot would that be?

TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-25 1:01 pm   Permalink

BK, have you heard the new cd? Worth picking up?

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AthensRanger

Posted: 2008-09-15 4:05 pm   Permalink

ALICE! Good to see you are still around! HAve been out of town (and out of the country, off and on) these last few years, and was trying to catch up with some of the people from UC- and came across this here. . .you may not even remember me much, but it's Jamie Dempsey- Bill M got me involved at UC and we all used to hang out fairly often (in the early to mid-90's and thereabouts!) Anyway- glad to see you are alive and well, and would love to catch up sometime- hit me up. . .

View Profile of AthensRanger Send a personal message to AthensRanger  Email AthensRanger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 4:11 pm   Permalink

Guided by voices in my head... does that count?...

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 6:36 pm   Permalink

We gotta be GBV fans - they're a local band here. The only one that stays together.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davealmost
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-16 11:25 pm   Permalink

it's been a bit but i'm a gbv fan. the last time i saw rob pollard play it was under the name townshend research at schubas here in chicago. it was a great and energetic show. if memory serves me right, i think he's touring coming up here...as if he wasnt playing enough shows.

View Profile of davealmost Send a personal message to davealmost  Email davealmost     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation