FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving fresh start . . . update - 8/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
fresh start . . . update - 8/25
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 7:05 pm   Permalink

well, my hands started to hurt and i was sucking at intaglio and spirals, so i decided to hire a tiny crew of free masons. i think they did an okay job on their first day.

(actually, i tried a new technique. i think it works.)

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-18 19:05, pdrake wrote:

(actually, i tried a new technique. i think it works.)

Certainly seems to, whatever it is..

Can you give us a hint at what you're using or have you started keeping your methods secret already..?

T

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 9:19 pm   Permalink

yes, my secret carving technique. i tell you, once i perfected my shrinking ray the freemasons came in quite handy.

i used a bit like this:

like a wise man once told me . . . no bit is perfect for any particular job. it depends on what works for the person at the time.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 9:35 pm   Permalink

And this relates to what kind of tiki carving? I'm lost. Or you are drunk! We wait with baited breath.

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 9:55 pm   Permalink

ancient chinese proverb:

set yourself as the standard.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 9:58 pm   Permalink

oh, and i really hope your breath isn't "baited" as that would mean you've been eating worms or anchovies. the proper term is "bated" as it means "reduced, lessened or lowered." which is surely something you should do in my presents. (sic for humor.)

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 11:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-18 21:35, Tucson Tiki wrote:
And this relates to what kind of tiki carving?

PNG canoe-sail pendant and a whaletail scrolled-up with koru-motif: whats the problem?

Whaletails are perfectly valid to the Maoris carving them down here, ditto the surface decorations.
While the sails aren't Polynesian, Ive seen plenty of other carvers and painters on TC using Melanesian/Micronesian Art and Artifacts as inspiration for their designs, without harrassment. I dont understand why you'd post such a comment? Not very supportive or... anything

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 02:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

And this relates to what kind of tiki carving? I'm lost. Or you are drunk! We wait with baited breath.

Apparently you've not had the pleasure of spending a hot summer day with pdrake and then tried to have a conversation with him after, uh, I forget how many cocktails we had.

Perry, glad to see you back!!
Keep going with the great work!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:19 am   Permalink

thanks, tama and heath. i'm really struggling with channeling any negative energy into positive relusts. i guess it will get easier the more i do it.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 12:39 pm   Permalink

little more progress . . .

back side:

front:

i don't know if i'm going to show work in progress photos anymore. not sure if it's helping anyone.

tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

What the F.....?

Perry, Just keep doing what your doing. It's all good.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 7:14 pm   Permalink

well, this tale is almost at an end. a little aging, a couple of holes and lashing of the cord and "the end".

tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 7:19 pm   Permalink

I'm diggin' it!!! Looks great!

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 7:23 pm   Permalink

Thats awesome Perry! ka pai! Well done.

You certainly nail those inlays and thats no mean feat.

Tama

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 7:36 pm   Permalink

That's so awsome! i didnt realize how small it was.
DAMN that's crazy!

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation