Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Donny and Marie Go Tiki in National Lampoon
Donny and Marie Go Tiki in National Lampoon
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 4:23 pm   Permalink

I ran across these scans of an old comic satire that appeared in National Lampoon Magazine, featuring Donny and Marie Osmond. It's called, Real Gone Hawaiian Goon. No, I don't understand what it means, so don't ask me.

You can view the comic in its entirety here:
page 1, page 2, page 3.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 4:49 pm   Permalink

I think it's a parody of the cinematic blockbuster film Goin Coconuts that was released when their variety show was all the rage.

I've never seen it but judging by their squeaky clean Mormon image I don't think the Chi Chi budget was very high.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 5:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-17 16:49, naugatiki wrote:
I think it's a parody of the cinematic blockbuster film Goin Coconuts that was released when their variety show was all the rage.

I think you're right, naugatiki. I'd forgotten all about that turkey.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 12:25 am   Permalink

Wow, cool find. More proof that by 1978, Polynesian pop was a pastime reserved for the squarest of the squares, and was appropriately ridiculed as such....even if not in the most intelligent manner.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 12:41 am   Permalink

Aloha,
A goofy gag, child-like, "Get Smart" kinda romp... some Tiki spotting a lobby or office...and a darn good troupe of Hawaiian dancers....better with a lack of sophistication or willpower weakened by Mai-Tais but strangely memorable!
Hula Cat

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation