FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 03:48 am   Permalink

Original thread here!

After almost two years and finally cracking a hundred pages, I'm gonna retire the first thread and start a new one. Thanks to all the TC Ohana who have had such a huge influence on my work...artists of all persuasions, patrons who support the artists, and all the collectors, hunters and archaeologists who share their knowledge.

Without any further ado - some recent work to get things rolling:

"Melanesian Modern" pebble piece and a couple of hei-matau variants.

The bottom two are made from the same slab of Marsden jade:

I've made and posted this hook design before - this one is the 4th for the same family!

This is a piece that should have been made many weeks ago, but I've been having real trouble with (in terms of design). A lesser effort carved to the same stage (that didn't make the grade) has already been sacrificed. I'm much happier with how it's turning out this time - if you can remember the last skull you'll know what's coming.....

Edit: One more thing I meant to post - the worst-kept secret in Tiki now the latest issue of Tiki Mag has hit the stands:

How sweet is that Benzart moai bowl?

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2011-07-25 04:39 ]

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 03:51 am   Permalink

Most INCREDIBLE Stuff Paipo, You Sure know how to Open with a BANG!
I Love these new pieces and the guy looks like he is thumbing his nose at you but I have the feeling he is not gonna get his way>
Keep us posted with more progress shots on this guy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 06:55 am   Permalink

Ton of nice stuff. I was checking out your Myspace page and seeing all those different works from over time together, makes a huge impact. Had to check out the Moai Bird again after knowing it was going to be made into a Gecko mug. I'm not sure what you may have said the inspiration was but it reminds me that the Moai is wearing a cult hood. Pulling over a mask.

Found a ton of cool new images last night while reseaching something and some of the images were of birds. Your hook looks like some of the pics I found.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

And when did you sneak in the Gecko stuff, With the "Moaiiiiiiiiiiii Bird" TOO? GOTTA Have one!!!
Paipo, I believe your NExt 100 pages will go by Faster and if possible be More incredible than the First 100!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 2:54 pm   Permalink

Paipo 2.0 is off to a great start.

I saw the mug you and Gecko did in Gecko's add in Tiki Magazine and went to his website, but didn't find it. Looks sweet in the add. When does it come out?

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 6:18 pm   Permalink

Love the look so far of the skull piece.

V2 is looking sweet so far.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 04:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-18 06:55, teaKEY wrote:

Found a ton of cool new images last night while reseaching something and some of the images were of birds. Your hook looks like some of the pics I found.

Funny you should say that teaKEY - this design has always reminded me of our native Takahe's (large swamp-hen) bill/beak..

-

Congrats on the mug P'po - can I get you to order one for me..?

Dig that skull! I'd like to order one of those too, but..

Great 'first' post mate. Keep it up!

T

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 07:50 am   Permalink

Amazing new works here and there on your new thread.
The Gecko/Paipo thing is incredible too but I couldn't find it on his website...

Bravo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 05:10 am   Permalink

Well, thanks to everyone - Benz, teaKEY, JP, Kahu, Tama and Benjamin for helping to get things rolling. No word yet on the Tangata Manu mugs - to tell the truth I didn't even know the sculpt was finished until someone told me about the ad! It looks great -Gecko has a done a fantastic job of a very challenging sculpt- and I'm just as keen to get my hands on one. Any news or updates will be posted right here in this thread....

Interesting comments on that hook - even with the amount of bird carvings I've been doing lately (and I'm not sure why - but there are at least 3 more on my bench), I've never really seen it in that piece - but now I can't unsee it. I'm sure a modified version is on the cards now - cheers TeaKs! Thanks also for reminding me I needed to update my slideshow (done!). The tangata manu is based on some actual carvings, but I also pictured a guy wearing a birdskin like those shamans you see wearing bear or leopard skins with the head still attached.

I spent most of my carving time making earrings today, but got in a little skull time earlier on - there's still a ton of work to do on this piece. I think I used about 7 different tools on the teeth (and they're not even finished!)

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 06:32 am   Permalink

v.2.0! New,updated, on the cutting edge!
Just don't unveil a Vista!
New stuff looks awesome. The skull would look great around my neck!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 08:05 am   Permalink

Hi Paipo, great start to the new thread!

Somehow I didnt know about your mug so that was a nice surprise (Tiki mag hasnt hit the shelves in Argentina yet...) - looks like it will be a beauty!!

Cheers.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 09:16 am   Permalink

YAY!
The Paipo 2.0 Upgrade was a success!
The new skull is looking great
very sinister and with personality!
how you infuse these stones with personality
is a Wondr to behold!
as is the Tangata Manu mug!
Can't wait to wrap my little baby hands around one!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 10:03 am   Permalink

Love the new skull - you have great style!

I have questions about Version 2.0

1. I heard that it is not compatible with wood, clay or paint?
2. It only works in "NZ time zone"?
3. If it crashes, beer and other external intoxicants are the only things that can get it restarted?

Just wondering

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 7:02 pm   Permalink

Paipo, your Bug/skull looks pretty Vicious so be careful when you are working on those Teeth, they seem to be Inviting a finger or two to Venture in there and become snack. You may end up calling him "Snack Mann" if you're not careful.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 9:18 pm   Permalink

Yes! the skull is looking incredible nice touch going on
there. The teeth eyes looks great.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation