FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
stonetiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-21 7:01 pm   Permalink

Very nice work my friend!

View Profile of stonetiki Send a personal message to stonetiki  Email stonetiki Goto the website of stonetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 12:59 pm   Permalink

DUDE, super cool! Wow. I love that little skull too. Geez that amazing. Neat design.

I don't see a hole to string this one with. Is this also a pendant?

[ This Message was edited by: TheBigT 2009-01-22 13:04 ]

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 03:44 am   Permalink

Dang! 17 days already? 2 pages of replies? Thankyou shoutouts to Ben, Jen, Tama, Kinny, Sneaky, AS, tikipaka, seeks, jab, G, Benjamin, bd, Clarita, surfin, stonetiki and BigT ( yes #62 is a pendant - just sans holes and mark on the back when I took the shots). I think I'm all skulled out for a while now!

I have had 4 new pieces (tiki that is) on the bench for ages and I keep swapping between them constantly. Turns out the one I finished first is the one I started last, if that makes sense...

#63 - Fisherman's God

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 04:51 am   Permalink

definitely a Cool dude, and a Happily Smug looking fisherman who just had to have caught a Big one!
Nice to see a Paipo Update!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 08:01 am   Permalink

Great flow and curvy lines in this fellah!
he DOES look kinda smug!
Probably because he started last and finished first!
Let's see those others you've been hiding!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 5:01 pm   Permalink

Yes smug and sleepy. Nice work!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 3:42 pm   Permalink

nice bit of pinstriping on this lil fella Paipo.

The last one was outta this world too, unbelievable!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 10:46 am   Permalink

Paipo, I haven't been on as much and got some catching up to do. Very cool last couple of pieces, I really like the Austral Islands guy.

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-03 10:50 am   Permalink

Ciao to everybody here..
I've been reading and reading your posts before finding the courage to come in...
I have first of all to thank you everybody, starting from Paipo, for being so generous to share skill and fantasy and sources of inpiration with 'the world' !
I feel very far, living in Sicily Island very close to mount Etna, Italy, but I like all what I've seen carving here and I started too... (tried.. is better..)
efforts, just efforts, everything is new for me, starting from the use of dremel and burrs... continuing with polishing stones... ending with use of wood and chisels..
A lot of meat on the barbecue (as we say here..) but I'm ready to improve, with your words
Ciao
Ellly

in the background... first attempt of carving a tiki in balsa wood...

and these are 2 pieces of jade (ready in shape and with the hole, I bought in a local shop)
and a pink marble (I guess)pebble I found on a beach not far from Catania.

Problems in simmetry, in polishing, and in the correct burrs to use to have the correct effect
so, sorry... for what you see! And thank you for your comments

[ This Message was edited by: Ellly 2009-02-03 10:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Ellly 2009-02-03 11:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Ellly 2009-02-03 11:12 ]

View Profile of Ellly Send a personal message to Ellly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 9:29 pm   Permalink

Cheers Ben, seeks, Ken, harro, tikifreak and Ellly...Ellly - welcome to TC! You should start your own thread up and show us some better pics of your work. Those pebbles are probably Chinese "New Jade" (bowenite) which is softer than nephrite, easy to carve and polishes beautifully. I like the look of those micro mals (which it looks like you make?) there!

Well, only a little over a week this time for something new...this one seemed easy at first, then ended up taking almost as long as anything I've carved, being A: Large and B: double sided. I dabbled with the idea of doing some surface work on the blade, but after looking at some reference pics of the old pieces the form won out and I left it mostly natural (as many of the pre-contact ones were). Checking the pics I was also surprised how "trad" this one turned out as it was meant to be more "Mod" - sometimes these pieces seem to decide for themselves what they want to be!

#64 - Wahaika

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 10:24 pm   Permalink

What a beautiful stone carve. Love the face and the chocolate color in
this one.

Killer work as usual.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-05 12:39 am   Permalink

Ciao Paipo...
Thank you, I'll start a new topic and I'll try to make better pictures..
every piece you carve is astonishing.. I like the sinthesis and the lines you trace on stone surfaces
I agree with you about the 'talking stones'.. Michelangelo Buonarroti in the XVI century was absolutely sure that marbles had inside imprisoned figures waiting for a carver who may help them to come out.
Ciao

View Profile of Ellly Send a personal message to Ellly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 01:27 am   Permalink

Seeks - chocolate? Must be the red wall behind the table I was shooting on. He's a mid/darkish grey, but I find these beach stones very hard to capture on camera accurately. Thanks for the comps !

Ellly: Yes! I studied Renaissance and Baroque sculpture as my final level in "Rock School". I totally dig Michelangelo's work and although my skills are light years away from what those guys did, I can incorporate some of their approach and philosophy to my work. I've done a couple of pieces directly influenced by the imprisoned figures and I always work within the natural form of these stones where I can.
Keep rolling with the rocks, share your work and post any questions in the stone carving thread. Tama and I don't post as much these days but if you're patient you'll find what you're seeking. Ben probably knows about as much as either of us now anyway

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 01:40 am   Permalink

Kia ora Dude, you're a rockstar with this one. I love the way the swirls come from the back to the other side (hope it's understandable ! ).

Bravo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 06:26 am   Permalink

once again this monitor has let me down and can't make out the details(toss up between new monitor or a power grinder). from what i CAN see, "wahaika" looks beautiful. how big is it or should i say how small? the stone work you guys do is just amazing. all those pieces inspire me to do better in my own carvings.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation