FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tiki style in vintage cookbooks ( image heavy)
Tiki style in vintage cookbooks ( image heavy)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 06:56 am   Permalink

I have had a few old cookbooks kick'n around for a long time and thought I'd throw out a few pics.
The first is from the Betty Crocker New Outdorr Cookbook 1974. Enjoy.

Next is from a vintage Weber outdoor cookbook. 1972. Check out the S&P shakers.

From the Ford Times Cookbook put out by Ford Motor Company circa 67-74. With recipes from the Mai Kai among others.

Dobb's House Luau.

From Random House International Recipe Card collection. Circa 1977. Front and back. A cool beverage and a tasty snack.

I know there are tons more cookbooks with treasure to be had. Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2008-05-18 07:58 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 07:56 am   Permalink

One for pupus from Drinks of Hawaii 1972. Not much info but kinda cool. Not really a cookbook but food anyway.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 08:11 am   Permalink

I love vintage cookbooks.

Here are some photos from the Hawaii Kai cookbook.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-18 09:50 am   Permalink

I have a vintage Trader Vics Cookbook...I'll have to post pix of it soon....goof stuff.

Tiki Food is some of the most photogenic meal presentations ever.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savage sissy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-19 8:17 pm   Permalink

Goodness Uncle Trav, that is one horrifying pork section. I like it better when they don't dress them up, keep them wrapped in banana leaves and present succulent meat already removed and ready to eat on my platter, that may or may not be decorated with a few hibiscus flowers. What was Weber thinking? And how old do you think that poor pig was to fit on a Weber? That's just wrong, very, very wrong. Ok, well part of me finds it kind of cool, but that's the savage part, the rest, well they don't call me sissy for nothing!

View Profile of savage sissy Send a personal message to savage sissy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 8:46 pm   Permalink

I do not care what the food is.......
....as long as it has a 1/4 tsp of monosodium glutamate for that "spicey flavor"!!!

I gotta find my cookbook with Michener writing the intro.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-19 9:36 pm   Permalink

La Verandah is a tad concerned -- some of that exotic foliage all that lovely grub is resting on is poisonous. Oh well.

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 10:44 am   Permalink

I was really excited when I saw this cookbook on ebay a few weeks ago. Then I realized that it was from the Mai Kai Trading Company and not The Mai Kai. But it still looked pretty interesting, so when I saw one pop up a couple of days ago at a really cheap Buy It Now price, I decided to get it. I'm kind of tempted to spend the rest of the year making every recipe in it.

There's not a ton of tiki imagery other than the cover and the little guy who appears on every page of the book.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-19 7:12 pm   Permalink

Salted tapioca and anchovy paste? YUK!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-19 19:12, MadDogMike wrote:

Awww I LOVE Mr. Yuk!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mermaid1111
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-23 10:39 am   Permalink

i want to but one of these and there are 3 editions: 1946, 1981 and 1982. i figure the 1981 is a reprint of 1946, but the 1982 edition is edited. do you know the difference between the editions?

View Profile of mermaid1111 Send a personal message to mermaid1111      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-23 1:30 pm   Permalink

I ate at the Kapok Tree waaaayyy back in the day one time. wish it were still open...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-05 12:38 am   Permalink

someone needs to start scanning these out of print cookbooks and maybe the forum needs a library of pdf's of them that everyone can access ....

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation