DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 1:08 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-05-20 12:55, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-20 12:50, DawnTiki wrote:
Why is his name Joe?

, ---here is the comma you forgot to put after "Why".

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-05-20 12:56 ]

Whew! Thanks Grog! That damn comma! I missed several in my first post too. I've under estimated the power of the comma. I promise to never make that mistake again.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2008-05-20 13:09 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 1:23 pm   Permalink

comma chamelion...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-05-20 1:41 pm   Permalink

It 's great that Ookoo Lady apologized and offered to make things right but lets not bury this thread under a bunch of crap to distract from the original topic.

It is nice though to see some Bali Hijinks folks who haven't posted for awhile!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 1:55 pm   Permalink

it's nice to see folks from california posting!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-20 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-20 13:23, Johnny Dollar wrote:
comma chamelion...

comma sutra...

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 4:55 pm   Permalink

OK, now that the kissing-and-making-up is done..... when do we get to see pics of this matchbook?

I am surrounded by Parrot-heads and have to live vicariously through the pictures of others.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 5:23 pm   Permalink

No! you can't see the matchbook!! I haven't said how Cool I think Ookoo is, yet!!
SO Ookoo I think you Rock and if I were you I'd keep the matchbook, too!! Unless you want to give it to me. Hehehehehe

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-20 5:25 pm   Permalink

"At our local flea market, we have what I deem “flea market rats”. This is a group of tightly connected resellers that know what each other buy and are always on the lookout to scavenge whatever they can for each other, since most are resellers."

We got one of those that just moved into town.
Well, kind of, I like the guy and his wife.
But they now go to every flea market/antique show on
the first day.
With their big SUV AND trailer and FILL both up then
they take it to their shop and want to sell it back to
us at a profit.
They even split up to maximize their tiki plundering.

I know it's their right, its just they messed up the hunt.
For me it's not just getting the stuff it's the hunt as well.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 6:13 pm   Permalink

Wow, reread my post...
I was kind of a jack-ass myself, no more posting for me after spending the evening drinking Guinness and Jameson's.

Let's hear it for ookoo lady, stepping up and taking responsibility.
Restoring my faith in humanity one person at a time!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 5:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Let's hear it for ookoo lady, stepping up and taking responsibility.

I second. What's more, she did it in a polite way.

There was a lot of unnecessary name-calling on this thread. Tiki Central rules state:

Be polite. Please refrain from insults and name-calling. Be polite even if someone is insulting you or someone else "started it". If someone is really bothering you, then U-Mod or contact us, but be polite.

I keep forgetting about the U-Mod function but I will definitely be using it in the future, especially on threads like this. Tiki Central isn't about this kind of crap. It's a free exchange of ideas but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it. I would encourage everyone to think long and hard before you post comments that could be considered rude or impolite, and leave out the name calling. When you read something that angers you, your first inclination would naturally be to fire off a reply calling the person in question an a-hole, a jack-ass or any number of colorful phrases. THINK before you click "SUBMIT." And THINK about how the other person feels being called these names, especially when they're a "well known member of Tiki Central" as was stated in the very first post.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 9:32 pm   Permalink

Ookoo Lady,

I didn't intend for anybody to be pilloried for this, but thank you for fessing up and taking responsibility. It is very gracious of you to do so.

While I wasn't really mad as to what happened, I suppose I was a bit irritated at the time because it was done by somebody who has collected for a long time, and by somebody I presume would know better. However, I realize we all have our moments from time-to-time.

I suppose my objective of this post was to vent somewhat, but more to send a reminder to fellow collectors to be courteous while hunting. Although this field is increasingly competitive, I do think it is imperative to maintain the fellowship with the ohana.

So apology most certainly accepted. And I'm glad the matchbook found a good home. Hope to see you at the next venue (Oasis!).

Quote:

On 2008-05-20 07:40, ookoo lady wrote:
Kidding aside now, I am the person who bought the matchbook. Tikipedia is right, it was rude of me to reach into the bin when he was still looking through it. I have been in that situation and I also get annoyed when someone else does it. I humbly submit to a public flogging on this board.

I offer him an apology, and will gladly give him the matchbook and buy him a drink if he will accept.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 11:28 pm   Permalink

I love junking, but shopping alongside all the professionals just isn't any fun. These days I avoid being at yard or rummage sales when they first open. The pros rampaging through a sale make me feel slimy by association.

I still manage to find more cool things than I have room for. Most of the time the pros are so focused on blitzing one sale after another they overlook neat stuff.

I've had people attempt to reach and push past me. Fortunately I'm good at blocking them. A couple of times at junk shops items have been taken from my cart. Now if I have something extra tasty I grab some random clothes off the rack and hide the good stuff.

A few years back I payed a couple of bucks to get into a rummage sale early. The pros were running through the place like marauders. In the furniture section I was looking at a floor lamp when I heard this guy yell "That's my lamp! That's my lamp!" I looked over and saw a small man about 20 feet away frantically gesturing in my direction. "That's my lamp! the little man yelled again. He then grabbed one of the volunteers and yelled "I told you I wanted that lamp! How much is it?" The volunteer seemed a little confused as to who the screaming little man was and what lamp he was talking about. I was doubtful the little yelling man had even been near the lamp. As the volunteer and little yelling man made their way towards me I discreetly used my thumbnail to scrape away the $5 price tag. The little yelling man had pulled out his wallet and again yelled "How much is it?" The volunteer looked for a price on the lamp. I pretended to look as well. "There was a price tag on it, " I said, "It must have fallen off." I looked around the floor. "How much was it?" the volunteer asked me. "Twenty dollars," I said. The little yelling man payed for the lamp and I wandered off pondering the ethical dilemma of lying in order to get an awful person to pay a church an extra $15.

Kudos to tikipedia for being classy about relating this subject and to Kenike for helping wrangle the thread back on point. I appreciate good manners and carefully thought out posts. It keeps Tiki Central fun and useful and not just another internet flaming free for all.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 11:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-23 23:28, woofmutt wrote:
I appreciate good manners and carefully thought out posts. It keeps Tiki Central fun and useful and not just another internet flaming free for all.

(Sorry Woof, couldn't resist. )

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation