FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Portland Museum Of Velvet Paintings?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Portland Museum Of Velvet Paintings?
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-27 16:11, Robb Hamel wrote:
Thanks Tiki Kupcake for the pics, they don't have much at all on their site. I can't wait to see their book.

This is a small (16x20) velvet of mine they have on their Polynesian wall:

LOVE IT! Maybe you're the person I have been looking for to get a tiki velvet painting from! I look forward to seeing it and will post pictures when I do.

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirina

Posted: 2008-05-28 10:24 pm   Permalink

We have the beautiful painting by Robb Hamel, it is not in the museum yet but we are redoing one whole area to bring out all the tikis, wahines South Sea landscapes slated for June 12th, we put out our carvings and a 50's tiki bar, when we get it together we will post a pic. Thanks for sharing the Tyree oil painting he is one of the great velvet masters.Some of his work is at Minnie's in Modesto I was coveting all the paintings there.

View Profile of tikirina Send a personal message to tikirina  Email tikirina Goto the website of tikirina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 07:16 am   Permalink

Hey tikirina, next time you're down Modesto way let us know. Love to meet you there.
Many of the velvets from Minnie's have been sold to private collectors. With some recent break-ins and PD lag time the owners feared they would be stolen so they sold most of them. There might be a few remaining. I need to make a 20 minute drive and revisit, it's been a while.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirina

Posted: 2008-05-29 6:58 pm   Permalink

Wow we drove all the way from Portland to see the paintings at Minnies in Modesto, kind of out of the way. We were there last Oct. I sure wish we could have gotten one of them. Oh well

View Profile of tikirina Send a personal message to tikirina  Email tikirina Goto the website of tikirina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 09:37 am   Permalink

Their next exhibit will be Tiki Wonderland! It will feature the art of Edgar Leeteg, Burke Tyree, Charles McPhee, Bill Erwin, And Cecelia Rodriguez. It opens on June 12th and I plan on being there!

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 1:32 pm   Permalink

I got the book you did. Really nice.
I was happy to found it here in Paris.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-28 22:24, tikirina wrote:
We have the beautiful painting by Robb Hamel, it is not in the museum yet but we are redoing one whole area to bring out all the tikis, wahines South Sea landscapes slated for June 12th, we put out our carvings and a 50's tiki bar, when we get it together we will post a pic. Thanks for sharing the Tyree oil painting he is one of the great velvet masters.Some of his work is at Minnie's in Modesto I was coveting all the paintings there.

Thanks very much for the info. I hope the book is doing well, I'll have mine soon. I MUST see your place somehow, 1,800 miles away or not.

Do you guys have the only velvet museum????

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 2:45 pm   Permalink

I can't wait to get my hands on that book.... They just got my painting this week. Here's the pic! It was inspired by my earlier piece "Up Lava River." This one is called "The Drummer":

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toshi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-15 9:01 pm   Permalink

Didn't Anthony Bourdain go to this place on No Reservations?

View Profile of Toshi Send a personal message to Toshi  Email Toshi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:21 pm   Permalink

The Velveteria was on CBS Sunday Morning. I thought Caren and Carl would have a lot of velvets, but they are CRAZY with them: mounds and stacks and piles! They really seemed awesome, too.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 12:26 pm   Permalink

Drew and I went there this past weekend. Got to see Robb's painting in person. Now I want one even more!

Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-28 2:30 pm   Permalink

Oh, and Heather. We saw her painting, as well. They were almost right next to each other.

crushenstein
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-25 1:03 pm   Permalink

Here's a piece CBS Sunday Morning did on the Velveteria. I'm in it at about the 4:19-4:23 mark, lurking behind the counter at SMUT in a red gingham shirt. Carl and Caren are really nice people and their museum should be supported.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qrHcUdgjclo

Noland

[ This Message was edited by: crushenstein 2008-09-25 13:05 ]

View Profile of crushenstein Send a personal message to crushenstein  Goto the website of crushenstein     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation