FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Wanted: Shrunken Head Picture Post!!!!
Wanted: Shrunken Head Picture Post!!!!
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 10:10 am   Permalink

I am looking to carve some large shrunken heads(kind of a oxymoron I think) I searched and found nothing specifically designated to it. Please post pictures of your shrunken heads so I can get some good ideas for carvings. Thank you ahead of time.-- TT

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-24 10:48 am   Permalink

you may want to try google.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 12:18 am   Permalink

You also may want to try posting in a more appropriate forum, in this case Creating Tiki.*

Hold on a second all of you with fingers-o-fire, before you flame away at me there is of course a sound and logical reason for my suggestion.

Why this is a good idea for the person who starts a thread:

Many people regularly drop in on Tiki Central just to check the forums that most interest them. Not everyone reads every forum regularly. (Unless I have a lot of time on my hands I usually only check the main forum, Other Crafts, and Hot Tiki Singles)

Because of these selective visits a post such as this can quickly get lost in General Tiki.

With that in mind Creating would be ideal for this post as artists are notorious drunkards who can barely keep their attention fixed for five minutes on any subject other than themselves. (Wink.)

Why this is a good idea for everyone else:

Trying to get your post in an appropriate forum helps keep each forum focused and more useful. If someone wants to finally create their backyard paradise and they're searching for inspiration it'd be super swell for them if all the posts about building, materials, design, et cetera were in one forum. It also helps makers of mass produced cheapo resin Tiki clutter when they want to rip off artists original designs.

And finally: "I searched and found nothing specifically designated to it." You deserve an extra cherry in your Roy Rogers for using Search.

*Yes, yes, oh gawd yes, I know that shrunken heads aren't technically Tiki. But if Tiki were a planet the size of Saturn I would guess shrunken heads would be one of its many moons. Or at least a somewhat spherical chunk of dirty ice in orbit around Planet Tiki. (A chunk of dirty ice? That reminds me of this bar I used to frequent...)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-25 07:23 am   Permalink

Here is a statue I did with Gecko on one side and Gecko as a shrunken head on the other side, good luck with your carving, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-25 10:26 am   Permalink

Speaking of "Creating Tiki", here is my fabulous shrunken head by Thor.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26980&forum=18&50

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-25 07:23, danlovestikis wrote:
Here is a statue I did with Gecko on one side and Gecko as a shrunken head on the other side...

Wendy you forgot to tell us which side was which? Sorry Gecko...couldn't resist it! If either of you don't mind me saying...that really is beautiful! Now, don't go getting any funny ideas Gecko! Great work as usual Wendy, sick with it my friend!!

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 11:13 am   Permalink

The title of this forum is about subjects that are not being discussed in other forums. I searched and found nothing that met my criteria. So this seemed to work. Please continue posting shrunken head pictures please.Also can we please limit the topic of this post to just pictures. Thanks

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
POCKETIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 11:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-25 11:13, Tucson Tiki wrote:
...Also can we please limit the topic of this post to just pictures. Thanks

Ooops! Sorry!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Humble Apology!

View Profile of POCKETIKI Send a personal message to POCKETIKI  Email POCKETIKI Goto the website of POCKETIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 11:58 am   Permalink

One look for one shrunken pic when you can find two!

My Island Headhunter sculpture...

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:17 pm   Permalink

Come on people. I know you have some cool shrunken heads in your collection. Let's see them please!!!!!!!!!!! I need some inspiration to carve!

[ This Message was edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-05-29 22:03 ]

Kewlava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-31 10:32 am   Permalink

Here are some pix from the vault of REAL Shrunken Heads in Museums.
I hope you find them helpful.

From the cover of the Taboo Album.

From the Hivaro Indians of South America.

Supposedly a white explorer.

Below are two "fakes" that I've made.

Kelly

View Profile of Kewlava Send a personal message to Kewlava  Email Kewlava Goto the website of Kewlava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 3:03 pm   Permalink

Cool! The last ones are awesome. That's some inspiration for sure. Man those are good. Thanks. Keep them coming. Interesting to look at for sure. TT

tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 5:23 pm   Permalink

how do you recomend putting in the hair? i recently sculpted one of clay, made a plaster mold, now i have a latex casting of a shrunken head. its hollow on the inside, just looking for the best way to go about doing the hair

[ This Message was edited by: tikithomas08 2008-06-02 14:59 ]

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-01 1:11 pm   Permalink

Well I'm not sure about what your doing but I am planning on carving them out of wood and then hot glue it on. I figure some cheap witch wigs from the costume shop should work. If I could get some horse hair it would be great.

Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 10:27 pm   Permalink

BTTT For the hip crowd!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation