FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Aloha Hut, Wash D.C.
Aloha Hut, Wash D.C.
jtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 07:22 am   Permalink

The Aloha Hut in Washington?

Does anyone know where or when it was? I know it isn't here now.

PS It is a cool looking mug, but $300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2160381525&rd=1

View Profile of jtiki Send a personal message to jtiki  Email jtiki Goto the website of jtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 08:30 am   Permalink

Yes, $300 is steep to pay for a piece of ceramic. However, in today's tiki mug collecting climate $300 doesn't sound unreasonable for this mug. Don't get me wrong - it's still more than I would spend however, considering this is a relatively uncommon mug, I'm not surprised at what it sold for. Even before the tiki resurgence, this mug always seemed to command a pretty penny...

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-03 08:31 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-03 09:32 am   Permalink

I got this mug from Joe and the now defunct (sniff, sniff) Aloha Joe's for $15 or $20. Previously, it lived with Uncle Arty, but now it resides with me (it just can't seem to leave Huntington Beach).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 10:04 am   Permalink

There was a thread about this place on the ole' board, I think....didn't Tikifish go there? It was a restaurant, AND a Motel across the way from it. Have a matchbook and a postcard. It had a cool arched A-frame entrance...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-08 12:48 am   Permalink

You're not gonna believe this, and you'll probably hate me for bringing it up again, but I had 3 of these mugs at one time. I found all 3 of them during a business trip in Connecticut at one thrift store. I got all three for 1.50! Score of the century!

I traded one to Midnight for a cool Hawaii Kai mug with the original box.

I traded one with a bunch of other mugs for a very cool vintage Tiki Bar. This mug was then subsequently sold to Tiki Bong (Aloha Hut likes HB!).

The last one resides with me, and here he will stay!

And yes, $300 is crazy when you consider that I got these guys for .50 c a piece!!!

If anyone knows anything about the Aloha Hut that was once in Washington D.C., I would be very interested!

Arty

Peace, Love & Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-08 00:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-08 00:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-03-08 01:02 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiluvgirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-09 9:43 pm   Permalink

I have 2 of these mugs!! Found them in a thrift store in N. Va.,about 6 years ago.I paid 1.50 each....I cannot believe it went for almost 300.00...It is one of my favorite designs it reminds me of the doll that comes alive and terrorizes Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror...I may be letting one of these bad boys go..hey someone somewhere is rolling in some dough...and I could use some of it!Before my dogs or cats knock it over which is always a possibility...

View Profile of tikiluvgirl Send a personal message to tikiluvgirl  Email tikiluvgirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-10 8:00 pm   Permalink

Good for you tikiluvgirl (luv that name)!

When you're ready to sell, make sure you make the announcement here. Not sure if any TCer's will buy at that price but I'm sure they will push the bid up!

Anyhoo, what about the Aloha Hut?! Anyone know about this place???

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 06:12 am   Permalink

Sven, you are thinking of the Hawaiian Village in Michigan. I get around but haven't been to Washington yet!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-11 2:43 pm   Permalink

If someone can help me come up with an address for the place, I'd be happy to check it out and see what, if anything, is there now.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-08 11:27 pm   Permalink

wow. i just got better ~ my cousin got me these mugs! her mother in law bought these from The Aloha Hut.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-09 12:17 am   Permalink

Wow, How cool is that! I always thought this was one of the coolest of the vintage mugs out there.. I love the little leaves around the backside.
Aloha's to you!

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2010-04-09 00:24 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 10:23 pm   Permalink

Here is the swanky die-cut matchbook from the Aloha Hut that I have seen around a few times.

Maybe Johnny Dollar has some more info on this place?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation