[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki New Munktiki #1 mug on eBay
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New Munktiki #1 mug on eBay
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 12:46 pm   Permalink

I don't know if people were keeping quiet about this in hopes they might get it or simply that nobody knows about it, but there's a #1 of a new Munktiki mug called "Spooky D" up for us Munktiki lovers. I know I probably don't have a shot at a #1 myself (too many clams), so at least I'm not shooting myself in the foot by posting this.
Happy bidding!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-03-03 12:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-03-03 12:50 ]

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 1:10 pm   Permalink

Awww Dammit!! Yeah, we were all keeping quiet. Then Blammo! Somebody had to let the cat out of the bag. I agree Tikibot, I won't be trying for it either. The lower numbers always run so high in price. Still waiting to get a poison mug ( or should I say "My poison mug"!)

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-03-03 13:11 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 1:17 pm   Permalink

Sorry
You just KNOW it's gonna go for (probably) well over $150 or so, and it's not like the Munktiki folks don't deserve every penny they'll get for it.
I figured I'd start driving the price up early, but it seems there always someone out there ready to drop $200 or more on a #1. It WOULD be cool if I got it, though...

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 1:35 pm   Permalink

To me #1 is just the same as #101 with Munktiki. I have never had a bad experience with anything from them. Never had a bad experience with Tiki Farm either. Or Bosko. Or Shagmart. Or Outre. It seems Tiki purchases are the only times my online purchases have been trouble free. Maybe because you deal directly with the artists. I feel all warm inside.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 10:25 pm   Permalink

Oh, must have the preciousssss....

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-08 1:59 pm   Permalink

Extremely coolmug...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2162527909&category=29460

Seems that the elusive mcf7777 still has a thing for tikis even though he appears to be selling off his entire collection...

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-08 4:32 pm   Permalink

Well I believe Munktiki has a new record!

According to this
thread, the previous top price for a #1 was Roecello at 214.05.

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-22 5:12 pm   Permalink

Munktiki strikes again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2166441750&category=29460

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-23 10:02 am   Permalink

I think this new design was inspired by Munktiki's regular mug, the Big Shot...

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-24 07:48 am   Permalink

I'm curious about the mysterious Waiko, to whom the painting is attributed. Is this momma Nielson?

j

View Profile of jtiki Send a personal message to jtiki  Email jtiki Goto the website of jtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-24 09:33 am   Permalink

In terms of silkscreened prints, I was taught that any serial number in an edition is worth the same price (i.e #1 of 150 is worth the same as #150 of 150). A lower serial number should not cost any more than a higher one. (But a first edition is worth more than a second edition.)
Is this the case with tiki mugs? Should we be more excited that this mug indeed was #1? Or can is it valued the same as # 78 or #111, for example.

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-24 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-24 09:33, manic cat wrote:
In terms of silkscreened prints, I was taught that any serial number in an edition is worth the same price (i.e #1 of 150 is worth the same as #150 of 150). A lower serial number should not cost any more than a higher one. (But a first edition is worth more than a second edition.)
Is this the case with tiki mugs? Should we be more excited that this mug indeed was #1? Or can is it valued the same as # 78 or #111, for example.

Manic, yes there's a big difference when it comes to tiki mugs. A ceramic mold has a life span of about 150 castings. As such, the first mug produced from that mold will have the crispest, sharpest lines.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-24 10:49 am   Permalink

That is the same case for most prints, especially etchings and woodblock prints...the sharpness only holds up for so long so I would think a mold would wear down too. Screenprints are an exemption because they hold the sharpness through an edition. But personally, I wouldn't pay more for a #1 of an edition, it's all equal to me.

waikiki

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-24 12:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info. It makes sense that the mold would wear down.
My dad was a plastics engineer who made molds for medical instruments. The molds were designed in metal, but would last almost forever. I wander if metal molding could be used to cast ceramic mugs? If so, maybe my dad has a future in tiki mugware.

[ This Message was edited by: manic cat on 2003-03-24 12:25 ]

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuckieshaft
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-24 5:23 pm   Permalink

Waiko is my wife aka yoko, some of you may have met her at the crawl. She'll be coming out with a few more painted pieces soon. All of the money from these initial poptiki sales will be going towards her chihuahua fund. Shes been wanting one for a long time.

later
-stuckie

View Profile of stuckieshaft Send a personal message to stuckieshaft  Goto the website of stuckieshaft     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation