FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Interesting things to see/do in Palm Springs?
Interesting things to see/do in Palm Springs?
Tiki Lew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-29 05:54 am   Permalink

I know there have been multiple posts on Palm Springs, but the info is very scattered so please forgive the new post. I'll be in Palm Springs next weekend and would appreciate suggestions for cool Tiki and retro stuff. I've read about Hawaiian Bill's/Caliente Tropics, Royal Hawaiian Estates, Hale Iwa Joe's and Buddy Greco's on other threads. Thanks.

View Profile of Tiki Lew Send a personal message to Tiki Lew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greenfuzz

Posted: 2008-05-29 11:41 am   Permalink

There's a lowbrow/pop surrealist art gallery in palm springs called M Modern that has a tiki art show on exhibit through May. The show includes...ahem two of my paintings.
Here's some info
http://www.mmodern.com/
Here's images from the show: http://www.photoshopshowcase.com/ViewFlashMedia.aspx?AID=120630&AT=3

View Profile of greenfuzz Send a personal message to greenfuzz  Email greenfuzz Goto the website of greenfuzz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-29 2:34 pm   Permalink

Looks like a very cool show, thanks. I'm bummed it ends the day I arrive.

View Profile of Tiki Lew Send a personal message to Tiki Lew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-29 8:19 pm   Permalink

You have to meet Wildsville Man. He's Mr. Tiki of Palm Springs

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 12:22 pm   Permalink

These folks below sell a great MAP to all the best preserved mid-century modern sites in Palm Springs:

http://www.psmodcom.com/buildings.html

No other city has that many left in such a small area.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 07:22 am   Permalink

The Palm Springs Modern Committee has a terrific map and an outstanding website: http://www.psmodcom.com/

We love mid century so we tour homes and buildings and go shopping.

I think that Palm Springs has a good website with a calender that might be helpful. I just googled Palm Springs Events and came up with a ton of stuff.

Have fun!!

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 07:23 am   Permalink

oops, sorry to repeat things I did not refresh this page from yesterday before I posted

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-14 10:42 am   Permalink

Belated thanks to all for the info. The PSModcom map was a godsend - I would've missed a lot without it. Hale Iwa Joe's was pretty neat. The Reef Bar at the Caliente Tropics was a little disappointing, but the drinks were right on target. We saw lots of incredible mid-century architecture including the Royal Hawaiian Estates. Great retro dining, lounge entertainment, and thrift store shopping. Hopefully next year I can line up my trip with Tiki Caliente weekend.

DavidinBellingham

Posted: 2012-01-21 12:11 pm   Permalink

I hope reviving this thread is proper etiquette. I am vacationing in Palm Springs next week (Jan 23 to 30 2012) and want the Tiki lowdown. I am also a fan of MCM, surf music, and Rat Pack. Your suggestions are welcomed. Is Wildsville Man still pouring drinks in Palm Springs?
Thanks,
David

View Profile of DavidinBellingham Send a personal message to DavidinBellingham      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 9:08 pm   Permalink

There's also a great air museum too if you're into those.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-16 1:36 pm   Permalink

David, how was your January trip? We are headed there in June and are trying to get an itinerary together so any thoughts would be appreciated!

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation